P700 2023 Honda Pioneer 700's announced

H

HondaTech

The 700 is meant to work, and the 3 speed torque converter trans works great for that because it’s reliable and low maintenance. It’s the most reliable, lowest maintenance, simplest sxs powertrain you can get.

If you want something that’s also fun for recreation, with the trade off being less reliable, then get the 1000.

People in here asking for a “better” transmission, more power, and more suspension travel… do you not realize that’s exactly what the 1000 is? You’re asking for them to change the 700 which is a simple work machine and turn it into what the 1000 already is. Makes no sense to me.

Adding a low range could be a nice addition, but considering the powertrain is just plucked out of the rincon I doubt they’ll touch it, they probably want to keep everything the same between the two to keep costs down.

They want Pioneer 1000 level engine, trans and suspension for 700 money.

Which you could almost get back '16 for what their asking for the 700 now.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The 700 is meant to work, and the 3 speed torque converter trans works great for that because it’s reliable and low maintenance. It’s the most reliable, lowest maintenance, simplest sxs powertrain you can get.

If you want something that’s also fun for recreation, with the trade off being less reliable, then get the 1000.

People in here asking for a “better” transmission, more power, and more suspension travel… do you not realize that’s exactly what the 1000 is? You’re asking for them to change the 700 which is a simple work machine and turn it into what the 1000 already is. Makes no sense to me.

Adding a low range could be a nice addition, but considering the powertrain is just plucked out of the rincon I doubt they’ll touch it, they probably want to keep everything the same between the two to keep costs down.
What makes no sense to me is comments like this.

A "working class" engine that can't pull itself at 7000'...but that's ok, you can buy a 1000 if you want a machine that can pull anywhere. No need to expect a 700 that can do that...except from other manufacturers.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

A "working class" engine that can't pull itself at 7000'...but that's ok, you can buy a 1000 if you want a machine that can pull anywhere. No need to expect a 700 that can do that...except from other manufacturers.
The 1000 is no ball of fire a 10,000' either lol. Even with a gear reduction it was a turd. Wifes wolverine 700 had more jam up high in Colorado.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The 1000 is no ball of fire a 10,000' either lol. Even with a gear reduction it was a turd. Wifes wolverine 700 had more jam up high in Colorado.
Yeah, but...you can't expect a working class machine like the Pioneer to compete with a hybrid work/play machine like that 700. Maybe you should have bought the Pioneer 1500?

O

okdinosaur

Jun 5, 2022
california
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

It has plenty of power to work at 7000 feet. Climbing steep double black diamond 4x4 trails is not work for 99% of people. A pioneer 700 absolutely works as a ranch sxs at 7000’. It’s a sub-$12k machine, you have to compare it to other $12k machines.

The comparable Polaris is the 570, which costs almost $1k more than the Honda. The 570 2 cylinder has a little bit more power, but if you’re not happy with the honda 700 the polaris 570 is probably not going to make you happy either. Maybe the polaris can crawl + go up steep stuff better with its low range and extra 8 horsepower, if that’s important to you then the polaris is probably the machine for you. But for the average working ranch / farm sxs the honda is a very worthwhile tradeoff imo, since the honda is cheaper off the bat + more reliable + has lower cost of ownership + the transmission design suits work use much better. Work like spraying weeds or feeding cattle not blasting steep 4x4 trails or hunting.

O

okdinosaur

Jun 5, 2022
california
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
Yeah, but...you can't expect a working class machine like the Pioneer to compete with a hybrid work/play machine like that 700. Maybe you should have bought the Pioneer 1500?
That wolverine cost $2k more than the pioneer in 2016. $10k vs $12k, that’s a pretty big difference, 20%. They also don’t make the wolverine 700 anymore, now it’s an 850 and costs $16k while the pioneer is $12k.

Yeah the Yamaha is a lot more fun for the extra $4k, which is a full 33% more than the Honda. If I’m buying a machine for the farm to let employees drive around I think I’ll save the $4k and get the even more reliable Honda.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
It has plenty of power to work at 7000 feet. Climbing steep double black diamond 4x4 trails is not work for 99% of people. A pioneer 700 absolutely works as a ranch sxs at 7000’. It’s a sub-$12k machine, you have to compare it to other $12k machines.

The comparable Polaris is the 570, which costs almost $1k more than the Honda. The 570 2 cylinder has a little bit more power, but if you’re not happy with the honda 700 the polaris 570 is probably not going to make you happy either. Maybe the polaris can crawl + go up steep stuff better with its low range and extra 8 horsepower, if that’s important to you then the polaris is probably the machine for you. But for the average working ranch / farm sxs the honda is a very worthwhile tradeoff imo, since the honda is cheaper off the bat + more reliable + has lower cost of ownership + the transmission design suits work use much better. Work like spraying weeds or feeding cattle not blasting steep 4x4 trails or hunting.
Correction, the 570 ranger is a single cylinder, not twin.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Utard...is that you?

Based on your comments, you have zero experience operating a 700 at those altitudes. Riding around in the field with a couple of buckets in the back isn't "work".

And your insistence that the 700 is suffering because I am comparing to more expensive machines is nonsense. At those altitudes, it doesn't even have the pulling capability of it's little brother, or any number of smaller, less powerful machines. All because of gearing.

But...rather than expect a level of performance comparable to it's class competitors...let's do the Honda fanboi thing and make excuses and use words like "reliability" (which seems to be going backwards) or talk about how it isn't meant for "hardcore" 4x4 trails. That will justify Honda continuing to do nothing about it.

Reactions: Buggyman
D

Docwilles

Sep 30, 2020
McGill Nevada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don’t want to make my 700 into a P1000. But, I think a low range would be a huge improvement on a good machine. I’m not a rock crawler or mudder but occasionally I’m in unfamiliar territory and come up on a steep grade and need a little extra because I’m already in a spot where turning around on a sidehill would be foolish. I live in an area where most trails would not accommodate the width of the P1000 So that wouldn’t be an option but for many people the P1000 probably would be a good option.
The above comment that the 700 is a sub $12,000 machine makes me realize I went to the wrong dealership because mine was as close to $20,000 as it was to $12,000.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don’t want to make my 700 into a P1000. But, I think a low range would be a huge improvement on a good machine. I’m not a rock crawler or mudder but occasionally I’m in unfamiliar territory and come up on a steep grade and need a little extra because I’m already in a spot where turning around on a sidehill would be foolish. I live in an area where most trails would not accommodate the width of the P1000 So that wouldn’t be an option but for many people the P1000 probably would be a good option.
The above comment that the 700 is a sub $12,000 machine makes me realize I went to the wrong dealership because mine was as close to $20,000 as it was to $12,000.
I think I paid $12.4 for my deluxe 2 seater in 2020 and I don't think the MSRP has gone up much. No way I could get it for that right now. Like everything else, the cost has gone way up.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The width difference between a 700 and 1000 isn’t much if memory serves

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The width difference between a 700 and 1000 isn’t much if memory serves
It's weird...on paper it's not. But In person, the 1000 is a notably bigger machine. While waiting to do the paperwork on my 700, we were sitting across from a 1000. My wife made the comment, not knowing anything about sxs's, about "that one was way bigger than mine" (at least I think that's what she was talking about).

I like the size of the 700. One reason I didn't buy the 1000.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P1k5 width - 62.8 inches
P7-4 width - 59.9 inches

so 3.1 inches in width according to the specs on the Honda site.

Edit: 2.9 because math…and I’m a moron

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's weird...on paper it's not. But In person, the 1000 is a notably bigger machine. While waiting to do the paperwork on my 700, we were sitting across from a 1000. My wife made the comment, not knowing anything about sxs's, about "that one was way bigger than mine" (at least I think that's what she was talking about).

I like the size of the 700. One reason I didn't buy the 1000.
I get it. Until I saw a posted a pic of the two models backed up tailgate to tailgate I would have sworn it was a dramatic difference in size.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!