26" Big Horn 2.0 on factory OEM wheels

S

Snrubel

Apr 3, 2015
Just upgraded tires from OEM to 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 on the factory wheels. Big difference in looks from stock. Also greatly increased the ability to roll over stuff. I don't notice any difference in power and the difference in gearing is subtle but noticeable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Pioneer1 Pioneer2 Pioneer3 Pioneer4 Pioneer5

BamaBoundSteve

BamaBoundSteve

Lifetime Member
Mar 13, 2015
S.E. Alabama
I like it! Gives your rig a great look. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Ona
BDI01

BDI01

Feb 24, 2015
Hey Snrubel, I just put the same tires on mine and love them. Nice pics, it looks much better than stock!

S

Snrubel

Apr 3, 2015
I'm running 10lbs currently. Will prob drop to 8 and try that next.

By the way, I showed the vehicle to a couple of folks who had never seen one before this evening. Both were absolutely amazed at how capable and tough the machine looked. The big tires on factory wheels looks pretty awesome in an off-road kind of way -- really more so than the big aluminum wheel look that is currently in.

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Looks great! How much actual ground clearance to you gain with these vs stock?

S

Snrubel

Apr 3, 2015
I did not measure ground clearance before/after. The tires are easily 3" taller than factory so 1.5-2" ground clearance. Regardless, it visually appears to have a lot of ground clearance now and we have driven over some downed trees that will leave you wondering how it was possible.

Comment: I've owned the Pioneer for about a week. I went in sort of thinking it was a toy more than anything. After the tire change and some further seat time I have decided two things:

1) I cannot believe how much "fun" it is to drive. Taking off at 30mph down your favorite trails is sooo much more fun than I anticipated. Feels like driving a rally car. More fun than an ATV and much better than my giant Polaris Crew, which essentially feels like driving a bus. So expect your riding to be much more fun. Your wife will actually be interested in driving an off-road vehicle. The machine appeals to a wide array of people who will never be interested in driving an ATV.

2) This thing is not a toy. It is very capable off-road. I guess that is the most interesting thing because it looks like a toy, but it is definitely not. Alternately with a 450lb rating on the rear rack the machine is capable of carrying a fully loaded 50 gallon spray rig, which makes it possible to get hours of spray work done that an ATV is not capable of.

My last comment is that people ask me why I didn't get the 700.... So, yeah, I will probably get a 700-4 at some point to replace my Polaris Crew, but the 700 and 500 are completely different vehicles. That question like asking why did I purchase a regular truck when the one-ton-super-extra-long-double-super-crew-cab-long-bed is an option -- because I don't need a gigantic vehicle for every task. Many times smaller is better; in fact, the smallest vehicle that gets the job done is usually best. The 500 is unbelievably nimble and responsive. I didn't expect to like the 500 as much as I do, which is what I noticed most of the professional reviewers saying too and now I get it.

Hope that is helpful.

S

Snrubel

Apr 3, 2015
Great! I spent a lot of time lurking around and trying to figure it all out, so I wanted to take the time to give back and help others in the same situation as me.

Reactions: 393stroker
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered from Rocky Mnt today and already received a shipping notice. They should be here on the 15th. I can't complain about that! :)

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
Just upgraded tires from OEM to 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 on the factory wheels. Big difference in looks from stock. Also greatly increased the ability to roll over stuff. I don't notice any difference in power and the difference in gearing is subtle but noticeable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Looks awesome. just ordered mine. Question, with that much extra size do they rub frame or touch body on bottom out or hard turns??

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
My tires arrived yesterday AM. That was quick! I had them mounted on the rims today, and installed this evening. The tires still have the shop psi and are probably high, but I measured a height increase of just under 2" front and rear. Once I set the pressure, suspect it will be around 1.5" or so.

Now, just rolling it around the garage, with the wheels turn full left, I was getting some contact on fender. It was near where the brake line runs. I'll check both directions, when I have correct psi and a person sitting in it. I'll also recheck the lift.

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
No it will be fine i have seen stock 500's running 27" with no rubbing.
Ok, so I got my wheels and tires today. I just got new wheels and bighorn tires 26x12x12 rear and 26x9x12 front. The front tires are about 1/2" from the frame at full turn. I am not sure if they are going to hit the frame on bumps. This is a little worrisome. I hope it is safe. I had heard others using 27" tires without hitting but the sizes must vary and the wheel offset might have been different. But before and after sure is a big difference!

Attachments

• 6tag_170415-171536.jpg
    6tag_170415-171536.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 3,462
  • WP_20150417_15_55_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150417_15_55_54_Pro.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,671
  • WP_20150417_16_16_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150417_16_16_47_Pro.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,674
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Im running the 26" Tusks HD (knock off of the bighorns) and have 12" clearance and no rubbing. I am running 8psi currently and it seems about right

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
Im running the 26" Tusks HD (knock off of the bighorns) and have 12" clearance and no rubbing. I am running 8psi currently and it seems about right
When you turn wheel all the way to left, how close is tire tread to frame on driver side inside of tire? Mine is 1/4"....that is very close. Any flex in frame and I am going to hit. Wouldn't want that wheel stopping when I'm going 25mph into a turn

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
When you turn wheel all the way to left, how close is tire tread to frame on driver side inside of tire? Mine is 1/4"....that is very close. Any flex in frame and I am going to hit. Wouldn't want that wheel stopping when I'm going 25mph into a turn
I tested it today. Hard turns, bumps, burms, fast turns on bumps....no rubbing whatsoever.

Reactions: scott
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Yep - same here. Plenty of room - maybe ¾-1 inch. No problems at all

scratchindirt

scratchindirt

Lifetime Member
Aug 10, 2014
I have 26" Bighorn 2.0's on stock wheels. I've been running them on my P500 for 1100 miles or so with zero problems. No rubbing at all, great ride, great traction.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!