P1000m5 28" or 30" tires?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am buying a set of intimidator tires today. I have the high lifter front and rear control arms so I can fit a 30. I have a set of vision beadlock wheels that I am going to use. I like the thought of 30s for ground clearance with no lift but I am afraid I will lose grunt from my machine. I am considering going with the 28 and using a high lifter lift. How much grunt will I lose with a 30" tire?

Reactions: Isaiah and TxDoc
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think that is the question we all struggle with. I keep going back and fourth my self. i have read so many post I am totally lost to what i should get. I am very intrest to see what everyone says.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you go with 28's you won't notice much of a power loss. If you go with 30's I suggest a Tune. The tune from COPS . Is pretty legit and makes it feel like a whole new machine. Actually drives like a 1000cc machine. I spin 28" Maxxis Carnivores on pavement no problem.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't offer anything on the 30 inch tires.

I have 2810 Intimidators. 5+2 offset wheels, no lift, stock. I have no rubbing problems and really didn't notice any difference from stock 27 inch tires.

Good luck on your project. I'm sure, with the help from others with your exact desired setup, you'll get your car set up perfectly.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run 30s and it turns them fine and wouldn't go back. I only had a problem with them was in some big rocks a clp times. Just make sure it's a lighter weight tire like a carnivore or something because mine are 43 pounds each that's pretty heavy for a 30in tire

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am really leaning towards the 28s. I wanted the 30s when I first bought the machine because I like big tires but the more I use it around the house I sometimes ready feel like it could be geared lower so in turn I fear I will regret the 30s

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run 30s and it turns them fine and wouldn't go back. I only had a problem with them was in some big rocks a clp times. Just make sure it's a lighter weight tire like a carnivore or something because mine are 43 pounds each that's pretty heavy for a 30in tire
The intimidator tires are unfortunately not light. The intimidator is what I have picked out and it's what I want. After being around them on another friend's machine they rock. Smooth on the road and dig wherever you want to go. I have the factory big horns and another friend has the 28 executioners and the intimidators never got stuck. The executioners got stuck twice. The big horns cannot keep up with either of them.

Last edited:
Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The intimidator tires are unfortunately not light. The intimidator is what I have picked out and it's what I want. After being around them on another friend's machine they rock. Smooth on the road and dig wherever you want to go. I have the factory big horns and another friend has the 28 executioners and the intimidators never got stuck. The executioners got stock twice. The big horns cannot keep up with either of them.

Sorry didn't realize you said you had some picked out. 28s will probably be best for you

R

Rick53

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a set of the 30" intimidators I use during hunting season or for mud or sand. In the deep stuff you can fell the difference. I went to the 15% portals to get it back, love them. Also my intimidators were way off on balance as they are a heavy tire and probably made in north Korea. And yes it's worth the extra bucks to get them balanced as it saves wear on everything.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the sti outbacks in a 28 10 14 and noticed power loss over a tensor regulator of the same size. More than anything I felt it in my brake petal. I've not done 30s and probably wont after the outbacks.

RockRain

RockRain

Sep 2, 2018
UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 30" terrabites, so not the same tire but as far as low end grunt, I felt like I lost enough that I did the IGR. I tried the power commander and auto tune initially, hoping I would get a little power back to compensate. The biggest problem for me was finding yourself in a deep rut against both a front and a back tire or a large rock or stump and not being able to move without mashing on the gas. Also bogs down in deep snow resulting in clutch chatter. But I also felt like low needed to be lower even with 27s under those same driving conditions.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The tires were delivered Tuesday. I think I have my schedule figured out so that next week I can start on my install!

R

Rick53

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a FYI on Quadboss tires, they are made in China. The made in China is on the bead on one side, so when mounted you can't see it. I run a set of the QBT846 30x10x14 (they are closer to 29" then 30") on STI HD7 rims most of the time. They work great here in Arizona for what I do, but seem to flat spot if I haven't taken it out in a while. Seem to wear fine, but would be much happier if they were made here. Two of them took a bit of weight to balance too. If the manager at the tire shop that mounted them had known he probably would have charged me extra. As far as taller tires goes, the ground clearance is nice and you can really fell the longer foot print on the hills. They bite in as opposed to breaking loose. They actually squat a little bit more on the down hill side of the tire then the smaller tires do too. Taller also give you more leverage to get over stuff if you have the power. Down side, you will loose torque if you don't change your gearing. Have fun and be safe.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a FYI on Quadboss tires, they are made in China. The made in China is on the bead on one side, so when mounted you can't see it. I run a set of the QBT846 30x10x14 (they are closer to 29" then 30") on STI HD7 rims most of the time. They work great here in Arizona for what I do, but seem to flat spot if I haven't taken it out in a while. Seem to wear fine, but would be much happier if they were made here. Two of them took a bit of weight to balance too. If the manager at the tire shop that mounted them had known he probably would have charged me extra. As far as taller tires goes, the ground clearance is nice and you can really fell the longer foot print on the hills. They bite in as opposed to breaking loose. They actually squat a little bit more on the down hill side of the tire then the smaller tires do too. Taller also give you more leverage to get over stuff if you have the power. Down side, you will loose torque if you don't change your gearing. Have fun and be safe.
A tune also helps with the torque. I upgraded to 28" Maxxis Carnivores and noticed a big difference vs stock tires that actually measure out to 25". I got the tune package through Complete Off-road Performance and made a huuuge difference. I even have reverse shifting now.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A tune also helps with the torque. I upgraded to 28" Maxxis Carnivores and noticed a big difference vs stock tires that actually measure out to 25". I got the tune package through Complete Off-road Performance and made a huuuge difference. I even have reverse shifting now.

The reverse shifting is nice. I don't think I would ever use it. I get irritated enough as it is for how high of a gear reverse is in general. I flip flop with a tuner. I purchased the extended warranty with mine and my dealer agreed to work with me on warranty coverage for the high lifter arms, muffler, and larger tires with high lifter lift. He told me if I chose to tune it he may not be able to cover engine or transmission but he would cover everything else without a tune.

Reactions: Rick53 and Isaiah
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
The reverse shifting is nice. I don't think I would ever use it. I get irritated enough as it is for how high of a gear reverse is in general. I flip flop with a tuner. I purchased the extended warranty with mine and my dealer agreed to work with me on warranty coverage for the high lifter arms, muffler, and larger tires with high lifter lift. He told me if I chose to tune it he may not be able to cover engine or transmission but he would cover everything else without a tune.
You can flash the factory tune back to the ECM with a Power Vision 3, or just pick up a spare ECM to install in the off chance you need to bring it in for warranty work.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!