BOX1

Talon 30 “ tires with 28” spare

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have recently put 30” tires on my Talon. I am going to carry a spare tire with me. Does anyone know if running the stock 28” tire as a spare will screw up anything when the other 3 will still be 30” tall. Will it send false info to the I 4x4 front axle or do something to the posi- rear end?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
That’s what I have always thought... just wanted the nod from someone else.Thanks!

The open front diff seems the place to do it if anywhere.

(The axles aren’t ever connected) braking makes the loaded tire spin.

From a logical standpoint......
I’d 99.9% guarantee no issues.

H

HondaTech

It'll make the I-4WD go nuts since itll see that 1 wheel traveling at a different speed.

Reactions: Plumber32
D

dankathyc

Feb 6, 2019
hurricane ut
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It'll make the I-4WD go nuts since itll see that 1 wheel traveling at a different speed.
Even if four wheel drive is not engaged? Not an ideal situation, but it would get you back to the trailer?

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you put it on the front and just use it to get out of the trails and not in 4wd you should be fine. I'm also 99.9% sure.
I don't think it should effect the I-4WD as much as you think it no different then being in a mud hole and having one front tire thats not spinning as much. But you can't use 4WD.

Reactions: Plumber32
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
The open front diff seems the place to do it if anywhere.

(The axles aren’t ever connected) braking makes the loaded tire spin.

From a logical standpoint......
I’d 99.9% guarantee no issues.
I’m thinking one of the tires spinning at a different rpm will send a signal to apply brakes. I went ahead and ordered another 30” tire and wheel so there won’t be an issue. After spending $20k what’s another $250?

H

HondaTech

Even if four wheel drive is not engaged? Not an ideal situation, but it would get you back to the trailer?

The modulator monitors wheel speed at all times I believe, since its essentially an abs modulator it senses that wheel is moving a different speed so it could possibly think there is any issue with the sensor and trigger a code.

Will it stop you from getting back to the truck? No, but it's just something else to have to deal with if it triggers a code. Not to mention what else it could cause mechanically in the diff.

I know on the P1K LE you can monitor every wheel sensor individually even in turf mode using our diagnostics computer. I'd assume in turf mode the PCM is told to ignore the difference in wheel speed on the rear since they are unlocked. But something is watching them, the Talon won't allow us to view the individual front wheel speeds though.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
The modulator monitors wheel speed at all times I believe, since its essentially an abs modulator it senses that wheel is moving a different speed so it could possibly think there is any issue with the sensor and trigger a code.

Will it stop you from getting back to the truck? No, but it's just something else to have to deal with if it triggers a code. Not to mention what else it could cause mechanically in the diff.

I know on the P1K LE you can monitor every wheel sensor individually even in turf mode using our diagnostics computer. I'd assume in turf mode the PCM is told to ignore the difference in wheel speed on the rear since they are unlocked. But something is watching them, the Talon won't allow us to view the individual front wheel speeds though.
Thanks for all of the input! I ordered a 30” tire and wheel just to be safe.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
To get back to your truck you could run the 28 at 30 psi and the 30 inch tire at 5 PSI. It looks like its best to have the same size for the spare. After reading this I'm going to order another 30 inch tire.

Reactions: Ragnar406
D

dankathyc

Feb 6, 2019
hurricane ut
Ownership

1. Other Brand
To get back to your truck you could run the 28 at 30 psi and the 30 inch tire at 5 PSI. It looks like its best to have the same size for the spare. After reading this I'm going to order another 30 inch tire.
Same here

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!