BOX1

Talon 32's at speed

D

DaveM

Jul 1, 2019
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know that 32 inch tires are great for rock crawling. But does anyone run them at high speed and in whoops?

H

HondaTech

My boss raced with 32s a month or so ago, he never said anything specific about them.

Woods race ofcourse with some jumps.

RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I run 32" Cryptids on HD9 beadlocks on my X. They are not really a speed tire and I am still tweaking air pressure/preload/dampening, but they feel alright at speed (50-ish) on decent dirt trails when I've had the chance to open her up. My biggest issue is reduced contact patch because of the deep V tread style tire. In other words, the machines performance does not seem to be diminished at all by the tire size or weight.

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
I run 32" Cryptids on HD9 beadlocks on my X. They are not really a speed tire and I am still tweaking air pressure/preload/dampening, but they feel alright at speed (50-ish) on decent dirt trails when I've had the chance to open her up. My biggest issue is reduced contact patch because of the deep V tread style tire. In other words, the machines performance does not seem to be diminished at all by the tire size or weight.

So you feel that a 50lb tire didn't really affect the power to much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So you feel that a 50lb tire didn't really affect the power to much?

Not really. I can obviously feel some affect in ride quality, but not power. changed riding habit to run in low more often, In high gear, it had no problem doing a burn out into the garage from the driveway. Well, no problem other than Mama being "not entertained" to put it mildly.

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Not really. I can obviously feel some affect in ride quality, but not power. changed riding habit to run in low more often, In high gear, it had no problem doing a burn out into the garage from the driveway. Well, no problem other than Mama being "not entertained" to put it mildly.

Awesome to hear. I want to run 32s and really thinking about terribites. They are only 40lbs but from experience with the pioneer that's heavy. So I was scared to do so and found another dot tire that was only 35. I couldn make my mind up but I think I'll go with the teribites. Everyone says no power loss

Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
20191015 170724
20191015 170711
I just put 7x15 hd9's with Tusk Terrabyte Aramid 10x30. 53lbs a wheel and tire. Virtually no loss in power going from 28 to 30". Still need some ride time to tweak the ride via shocks and air
20191015 170724
presure

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Awesome to hear. I want to run 32s and really thinking about terribites. They are only 40lbs but from experience with the pioneer that's heavy. So I was scared to do so and found another dot tire that was only 35. I couldn make my mind up but I think I'll go with the teribites. Everyone says no power loss

Shocks and spring rates?

H

HondaTech

Our boss raced his R this past weekend for the 2nd time in a XC/woods style race, he's on 32' Pro Armours. Took 2nd place behind another Talon R, (everything else broke, lol).

He wasn't happy with the way it handled and flew through the air, said it felt like the front end was pulling it everywhere. Rear end was high on jumps and the passengers side was always higher.

After doing some hunting Monday, he got the number for the FOX east coast suspension guy. He said the 32's were killing any chance of him being able to corner fast and flat. He said his best bet was to go back to stock height or lower. Also going to send his stuff off after this next weekends ride to see what magic this guy says he can work on the suspension.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Our boss raced his R this past weekend for the 2nd time in a XC/woods style race, he's on 32' Pro Armours. Took 2nd place behind another Talon R, (everything else broke, lol).

He wasn't happy with the way it handled and flew through the air, said it felt like the front end was pulling it everywhere. Rear end was high on jumps and the passengers side was always higher.

After doing some hunting Monday, he got the number for the FOX east coast suspension guy. He said the 32's were killing any chance of him being able to corner fast and flat. He said his best bet was to go back to stock height or lower. Also going to send his stuff off after this next weekends ride to see what magic this guy says he can work on the suspension.
Don't know who your boss was talking to, but lower than stock clearance is a death wish in woods racing, DNF! Great skids, high clearance A arms, great shocks, bead locks and taller tires that have more cushion between rocks and rim are the way to win races! HA!

H

HondaTech

Don't know who your boss was talking to, but lower than stock clearance is a death wish in woods racing, DNF! Great skids, high clearance A arms, great shocks, bead locks and taller tires that have more cushion between rocks and rim are the way to win races! HA!

Dude sounded like he knew what he was doing, I understand for rocks and big stuff you'd need more clearance. But the racing he's doing is more man made track with very few obstacles to climb over.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!