3D Printers

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone in the forum have experience using a 3D printer? I check in at woot.com on a pretty regular basis (fair warning the deals aren't what they used to be, but once in a while there's still something decent to be had), and this morning they were advertising a printer that had pretty good reviews.

I know that you are going to be limited to things that you trust to plastic, but my understanding is that the possibilities are pretty much endless with these things. Maybe a cheaper entry into minor fab work for someone with limited tools/resources/space and ability to work with metal? I've got to think custom brackets, cupholders, light mounts, etc could be made from a dense plastic right? Interested to hear if anyone has experience with this, or if any of the resident master fabricators have thoughts???

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone in the forum have experience using a 3D printer? I check in at woot.com on a pretty regular basis (fair warning the deals aren't what they used to be, but once in a while there's still something decent to be had), and this morning they were advertising a printer that had pretty good reviews.

I know that you are going to be limited to things that you trust to plastic, but my understanding is that the possibilities are pretty much endless with these things. Maybe a cheaper entry into minor fab work for someone with limited tools/resources/space and ability to work with metal? I've got to think custom brackets, cupholders, light mounts, etc could be made from a dense plastic right? Interested to hear if anyone has experience with this, or if any of the resident master fabricators have thoughts???
There is a member on here that works with one at his job. He made a bunch of door bushings with it. @Montecresto will remember his name.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Woooof. That's a pretty penny @Chooglin. Though it without take too many parts to pay for itself I suppose.

@sharp that was the first thing that came to mind: bushings. I think I have a set coming but I could see it for that, maybe some custom LED pod mounts, cup holders, etc. Prolly easier just to buy but I get a kick out of doing somethings myself.

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!