P500 4 point harness?

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
How many of you put a harness in the P5? I am getting to the point where I really need to have more than the shoulder belt. Got pics?

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I was looking into it but then I seen where the manufacturer recommends replacing them after two years so I thought I'd just stick to stock for a while longer.I know most people wouldn't replace them after two years but after reading that and knowing what I know about safety harnesses I'd always wonder if they would be OK after two years, most likely YES.That was just one brand I haven't looked into it further.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I tried them and didn't like them. Too busy and cumbersome in the little 5. Held you in real good though, to the point you couldn't lean forward to adjust the mirror or anything. Found myself just using the lap belt portion all the time and figured the stockers would actually be safer then. Took them out and sold them on here.
Pic as requested...

Harnesses Installed

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I would not be overly concerned about that 2 year issue, most race belts want to be changed after an accident and every ride in a UTV could be considered an accident. As slow as these go it's kinda ridiculous, I just want to stop that shoulder strap giving me a hickey when I fall over,
I figure as much belt rash as I get right now It might be more comfy to have a 2" harness. I am thinking some retractable like the new RZR has, however I wonder how those retractors like mud? At the low speeds I run I just need comfortable, simple and cheap.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I was looking into it but then I seen where the manufacturer recommends replacing them after two years so I thought I'd just stick to stock for a while longer.I know most people wouldn't replace them after two years but after reading that and knowing what I know about safety harnesses I'd always wonder if they would be OK after two years, most likely YES.That was just one brand I haven't looked into it further.
Every race governing body has standards which must be adhered to in order to compete, these include but not limited to helmets and seat belts (harness systems) the replacement in two years is to be able to compete, it does not mean the belt will disintegrate or fail, just that you cannot compete with products beyond the date on the tag.
If you would like a better clarification check out this link...
SFI 16.1 vs 16.5 Harness: Which One Do I Need? | PRP Seats
In short, if you are looking for a 4 or 5 point system for your Pioneer, don't be concerned about the two year replacement, you won't get pulled over and issued a ticket if your harness system is past the date for replacement.

Reactions: trigger
R

Rustell

I tried them and didn't like them. Too busy and cumbersome in the little 5. Held you in real good though, to the point you couldn't lean forward to adjust the mirror or anything. Found myself just using the lap belt portion all the time and figured the stockers would actually be safer then. Took them out and sold them on here.
Pic as requested...
4 point harness

View attachment 82732
I did the same thing as "Trigger" with the same results... I put back the stock belts just yesterday.

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Thanks for the clarification on the racing aspect of a 4 or 5 point harness, makes sense.
I really never thought they would dissolve right after two years or anything like that but me having been trained to use a fall safety harness know that with improper care and inspections the harness may fail in the event of an accident when needed most and same goes for the fall safety harness as far as regular replacement after a set time period from 1st use.

I think it's a waste of money on the P5 since I doubt I will ever be in any serious competition in a P5 that would require a harness I was thinking about it more for the even shoulder support but decided to just use the stock seat belts and ride on.

Reactions: trigger and 100Acre
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Every race governing body has standards which must be adhered to in order to compete, these include but not limited to helmets and seat belts (harness systems) the replacement in two years is to be able to compete, it does not mean the belt will disintegrate or fail, just that you cannot compete with products beyond the date on the tag.
If you would like a better clarification check out this link...
SFI 16.1 vs 16.5 Harness: Which One Do I Need? | PRP Seats
In short, if you are looking for a 4 or 5 point system for your Pioneer, don't be concerned about the two year replacement, you won't get pulled over and issued a ticket if your harness system is past the date for replacement.
Crap, that means I can't race my P5 if I have the put on a harness system.

D

Deleted member 3748

I kicked the idea around on fastening them but they need to slide up and down for the belt to retract properly.
Ooh, right. Maybe some elastic straps attached from the pad to the frame to hold them up and let the belt slide.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the clarification on the racing aspect of a 4 or 5 point harness, makes sense.
I really never thought they would dissolve right after two years or anything like that but me having been trained to use a fall safety harness know that with improper care and inspections the harness may fail in the event of an accident when needed most and same goes for the fall safety harness as far as regular replacement after a set time period from 1st use.

I think it's a waste of money on the P5 since I doubt I will ever be in any serious competition in a P5 that would require a harness I was thinking about it more for the even shoulder support but decided to just use the stock seat belts and ride on.
From the fall safety aspect I agree, on the Pioneer I was suggesting replacement date from a risk/reward aspect and it’s a personal preference, I’m not competing with it either. Myself I like the even shoulder support as well as the ability to just use the lap belt when conditions warrant. Plus my wife didn’t like how the stock 3 point felt when it decided to lock up and dig into her neck, time will tell if she likes the harness or if we go back to stock.
BTW, you’re right, it may be a waste of money on a P5, but that statement of a waste of money could apply to almost ever mod we do to our beloved Pioneers couldn’t it?
No animosity here - I think my wife’s favorite saying sums this up quite nicely...”what ever blows your skirt up”.
Safe trails.

Reactions: Mudwing and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I would have kept them in there if they had retractable shoulder straps. Nice to have the ability to lean forward and freedom of movement, the harness just doesn't allow it. Another thing that bothered me was sitting on the straps when you get in and the time it took to belt in, ended up holding up the group while fiddling with the cluster of straps and buckles.
Spent a fair amount of money and time putting them in just to realize they were a pain in my ass!

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

I would have kept them in there if they had retractable shoulder straps. Nice to have the ability to lean forward and freedom of movement, the harness just doesn't allow it. Another thing that bothered me was sitting on the straps when you get in and the time it took to belt in, ended up holding up the group while fiddling with the cluster of straps and buckles.
Spent a fair amount of money and time putting them in just to realize they were a pain in my ass!
I agree, it seems like a pain in the ass. And I'd like to think Honda's seat belts have passed some kind of safety testing.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!