Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
First off...welcome from Michigan.

In order to serve you better, we need the make and model and yr of your machine.
oh...and some pics of the machine or it didnt happen lol
Also pics of the issue and where exactly u tapped into would help too!
right now its the blind leading the blind if you will.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
! I-4WD indicator light stays on, battery was dead do to leaving key on I installed turn lights but only used hot wire in holder on steering column

This seems to be common when you leave the key on and let the battery go dead, the i4WD Control Unit freaks out. Try the following...

1. Make sure the battery cables are tight.
  2. Make sure the bundle of ground wires under the seat are tight.
  3. Make sure the grounds on the left frame and engine are tight.
  4. Make sure the battery is FULLY charged.
  5. In 2WD drive the machine over 30 mph so that the system does all it's system checks.
If the light is still on after that, you will need to pull codes.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This seems to be common when you leave the key on and let the battery go dead, the i4WD Control Unit freaks out. Try the following...

1. Make sure the battery cables are tight.
  2. Make sure the bundle of ground wires under the seat are tight.
  3. Make sure the grounds on the left frame and engine are tight.
  4. Make sure the battery is FULLY charged.
  5. In 2WD drive the machine over 30 mph so that the system does all it's system checks.
If the light is still on after that, you will need to pull codes.
# 5 - I didn’t know some checks weren’t getting done if I didn’t get up to 30 mph, I hadn’t seen that mentioned before. 👍 Some rides I rarely exceed 20. Is there a distance or time I need to be over 30?

Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
# 5 - I didn’t know some checks weren’t getting done if I didn’t get up to 30 mph, I hadn’t seen that mentioned before. 👍 Some rides I rarely exceed 20. Is there a distance or time I need to be over 30?
Sorry, it is 30 km/h (19 mph), not 30 mph. Service manual does not give any distance or time, just speed. It says this...
"After troubleshooting, erase the DTC and perform the test-ride the vehicle above 30 km/h (19 mph) and recheck the DTC (page
4-7)."

The system has 3 types of checks...
(A) INITIAL: Performed once after ignition switch is turned ON.
(B) ORDINARY (1 ): Performed while the vehicle is driving above 30 km/h (19 mph)
(C) ORDINARY (2): Always performed while the ignition switch is ON

If not allowed to run all three checks, the light may remain on (I know from personal experience). I towed my R on 3 wheels with the engine running and in gear (broke the RF knuckle) . Strapped the font end up onto the back of another machine but we couldn't get it high enough to get the LF off the ground so it turned while the RF did not and the light came on. We were in sand dunes and I had to help propel us over some hills so I had no choice but to have the engine running. After fixing the broken parts, my i4WD light was on. I tried clearing codes to no avail. As soon as I drove it about 1000 feet (I must have gone over 19 mph), the light went off and has never come back on in over 3000 miles.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Sorry, it is 30 km/h (19 mph), not 30 mph. Service manual does not give any distance or time, just speed. It says this...
"After troubleshooting, erase the DTC and perform the test-ride the vehicle above 30 km/h (19 mph) and recheck the DTC (page
4-7)."

The system has 3 types of checks...
(A) INITIAL: Performed once after ignition switch is turned ON.
(B) ORDINARY (1 ): Performed while the vehicle is driving above 30 km/h (19 mph)
(C) ORDINARY (2): Always performed while the ignition switch is ON

If not allowed to run all three checks, the light may remain on (I know from personal experience). I towed my R on 3 wheels with the engine running and in gear (broke the RF knuckle) . Strapped the font end up onto the back of another machine but we couldn't get it high enough to get the LF off the ground so it turned while the RF did not and the light came on. We were in sand dunes and I had to help propel us over some hills so I had no choice but to have the engine running. After fixing the broken parts, my i4WD light was on. I tried clearing codes to no avail. As soon as I drove it about 1000 feet (I must have gone over 19 mph), the light went off and has never come back on in over 3000 miles.
Old thread, but my i4WD light is on and won't turn off. Similar situation as you @PaulF , broke front right wheel/32" tire and used a stock spare to get back to camp which caused it to turn on. Changed back to 4 32" tires and rode for a bit (over 19mph) to no avail. Swapped back to 4 stockers and have been driving it for almost a full tank of fuel now in various driving conditions and modes (2wd over 19mp, 4wd over 19 mph, 2wd high speed, 4wd high speed, 2wd low speed, 4wd low speed) and still have the light. I hooked up the PV3 to see if there were any codes but get nothing. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Old thread, but my i4WD light is on and won't turn off. Similar situation as you @PaulF , broke front left wheel/32" tire and used a stock spare to get back to camp which caused it to turn on. Changed back to 4 32" tires and rode for a bit (over 19mph) to no avail. Swapped back to 4 stockers and have been driving it for almost a full tank of fuel now in various driving conditions and modes (2wd over 19mp, 4wd over 19 mph, 2wd high speed, 4wd high speed, 2wd low speed, 4wd low speed) and still have the light. I hooked up the PV3 to see if there were any codes but get nothing. Any ideas?
What code is showing on the dash?
I believe you have to jump the red dlc connector to flash i4wd codes.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
What code is showing on the dash?
I believe you have to jump the red dlc connector to flash i4wd codes.
There are no codes, just the i4WD light on. No blinks or anything, just comes on as soon as you key it on and never turns off. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the actual i4WD operation as it still works.

Reactions: Smitty335
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are no codes, just the i4WD light on. No blinks or anything, just comes on as soon as you key it on and never turns off. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the actual i4WD operation as it still works.
Jump the dlc, a code will appear. Happened on an 18ble i worked on.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
@PaulF had a lot more info on this in another thread that I missed...

Reactions: Hometeam
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Alright - Got a 1-2 and a 7-1... both of which fall right in line with what occurred. Good to know. I'll clear them and keep my jumper in the buggy box.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!