BOX1

P1000m5 4wd Problems

L

LBZ_Duramax

Oct 26, 2015
I’m having trouble getting my turf/2wd/4wd to work correctly. I have adjusted the box under the bed according to pages in manual and advice here. I either have turf or 4wd diff lock. No 2wd lock or 4wd. The display on dash never changes from turf. In park it locks the rear diff together but if you put in High 2wd it still is in turf. I have checked the little rod end under hood and it’s tight and attached. What do I need to do next? Machine is a 2016 with 500 miles on it. 8f0b0de0354a3e8a70f2da2952391e3a

Reactions: BWAF
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m having trouble getting my turf/2wd/4wd to work correctly. I have adjusted the box under the bed according to pages in manual and advice here. I either have turf or 4wd diff lock. No 2wd lock or 4wd. The display on dash never changes from turf. In park it locks the rear diff together but if you put in High 2wd it still is in turf. I have checked the little rod end under hood and it’s tight and attached. What do I need to do next? Machine is a 2016 with 500 miles on it.View attachment 83229

Do you have the shifter in 2 Lock during the adjustment? The book says 2 WD, but it really means 2 wheel lock. Had the exact same problem until I realized the book wasn't written by an Englishman.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,
Lets work on one at a time. Rear diff, and then front diff.

REAR,
The picture you posted, this box ONLY adjust 2x4 and turf for the rear.
One line is for the 2x4 selector, the other is for the park. (I forget which one is what)
The unit should go into 2x4 when in park.
Adjusting these will only help with 2x4 and turf.
Make sure you are in P and 2x4 (not turf) when doing it.

Upload 2018 8 7 23 38 59

FRONT,
The front you will find more adjustments at the front diff, Front of the diff is the 4x4 lock adjustment, behind the the diff is the 4x4 adjustment. I also think there are adjustments on the shiftier side but they are harder to do.
Upload 2018 8 7 23 43 35

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh forgot few things.
You need ride it some to get it to release. Engaging is usually quick but disengaging takes some movement to release correctly, You can usually here it "click", especially the front diff.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My dash display for Turf, 2WD, 4WD and Diff Lock rarely, if every shows the correct mode I'm in. During the winter snow, I have confirmed that each mode I'm in is getting the proper power to the tires when I am shifted to that mode.

L

LBZ_Duramax

Oct 26, 2015
Hi,

REAR,
One line is for the 2x4 selector, the other is for the park. (I forget which one is what)

View attachment 83250

FRONT,
The front you will find more adjustments at the front diff, Front of the diff is the 4x4 lock adjustment, behind the the diff is the 4x4 adjustment. I also think there are adjustments on the shiftier side but they are harder to do.
View attachment 83251

I was in park and 2wd lock when I did adjustment. The 4wd worked before I did the turf adjustment. It goes into 2wd when you put in park (rear locked) but if you shift to High the diff opens back up even though shifter is in 2wd lock. Would that be an issue with the PRNHL shifter cable?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 2 cables side of that box.
One goes to the park leaver the other to the 2x4 leaver.
Park side is good. the 2x4 side needs adjustment. Adjusting at the leaver should only be needed if you max out the threads inside the box

L

LBZ_Duramax

Oct 26, 2015
The 2 cables side of that box.
One goes to the park leaver the other to the 2x4 leaver.
Park side is good. the 2x4 side needs adjustment. Adjusting at the leaver should only be needed if you max out the threads inside the box

They are both centered between the lines. But something is up because when I shift to H (drive) the rear diff unlocks even though its in 2wd lock. The shift lever (PRNHL) feel changed when I adjusted the cables in the rear box also. Maybe I have 4wd but it doesn't feel like it because the rear diff is open.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya,
The cable to the P leaver seems to be good, just the cable to the 2x4 leaver needs adjusting.

Here is what I would do if it was me.
Identify which cable is being pulled for the 2x4 and which one for P.
Chalk the front tire. you know, for safety.
Put it in N with 2x4.
Jack up the rear end.
Then turn the rear wheels by hand while adjusting the cable in that box.
You may be able to hear a small "click" as it locks into place.
Move leaver back to TURF, and turn wheels again by hand.
Again, this "click" should be noticeable. Or at least mine is coming out of 2x4.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One thing to note: The rear diff is UNLOCKED by a pulling action against a spring. This pulling action takes place when either the gear selector is taken out of Park (hence the longish slot for the lever and the resistance you feel when moving selector out of park), and/or moving the drive selector into Turf mode (hence the resistance you feel when moving selector to Turf mode). If the rear diff stays unlocked when in 2WD, that means that the adjustment screw for the 2WD/Open diff cable is too tight. (Loose cables LOCK the diff, opposite of what one might think).

H

HankF1721_1000-5

Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2020
Haynesville LA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That suggestion got my indicator back working. Thank

Hi,

REAR,

View attachment 83250

FRONT,
View attachment 83251

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jdubya78

Jun 10, 2021
virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2021 p-1000-3 and I was having the same issues as stated above. It seemed to go into 2wd and back out sometimes but not always. It also very rarely showed up on the instrument panel. (it would just show I was in turf, whether in 2wd,4x4 or 4x4 lock) I did the turf and 2wd adjustments in the cable junction box as the manual says and it was going in and out perfectly but still not showing up on the instrument panel. I decided to do a clutch reset and bam, it fixed my issue. now everything works perfectly. I just wanted to share, in case anyone had the same issue.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!