5th and 6th gear chatter/ rattle under seat when under load on highway...

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I've started noticing that when I'm on the highway in either 5th or 6th gear, with a slight load or accelerating condition, that my 1000-5 emits a chatter or rattling like noise that seems to be coming from under the seat or under the passenger floorboard. If you ease off the gas it will go away. I really notice it mostly in 6th going up a very slight incline. It will not do this noise in any of the lower gears, nor will it do it in 4wd. Does anyone else with one of these machine have a noise like this? I'm trying to figure out if its normal or not. My bike has about 1100 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any replies or opinions on this....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
What octane gas are u running?

Reactions: pct
J

JTW

Mine does it too.. I’m pretty sure I found the cause but haven’t fixed it yet. I’m 95% sure mine is coming from a motor mount. If you raise the front of your machine and drop the skid plate. Shake the s*** out of the motor and see if you don’t hear it. I have a video

6901F19B F804 4218 8883 10466EFD3197

J

JTW

Having trouble uploading the video I took.. message me you number and I’ll text it to you. It’ll be a better idea of what I’m talking about

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I've started noticing that when I'm on the highway in either 5th or 6th gear, with a slight load or accelerating condition, that my 1000-5 emits a chatter or rattling like noise that seems to be coming from under the seat or under the passenger floorboard. If you ease off the gas it will go away. I really notice it mostly in 6th going up a very slight incline. It will not do this noise in any of the lower gears, nor will it do it in 4wd. Does anyone else with one of these machine have a noise like this? I'm trying to figure out if its normal or not. My bike has about 1100 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any replies or opinions on this....

I'm pretty sure I know the noise. Mine made the sound you're describing. I found it was the network of rods that are twisted by design forming a "net" for the floor support that rattle against each other under light, low RPM acceleration. Weirdest design I would've never thought of to support a floor but Honda did it. Anyway... I stuffed some pieces of packaging foam between the rods and floor to tighten them up and my noise is gone. Test this by removing your seat bottom and find the rods and shake them to see if that's the noise you hear. They run from the front of the seat frame, down to under the floorboard, forward to the the front of the floorboard then back up to the frame under the dash.

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure I know the noise. Mine made the sound you're describing. I found it was the network of rods that are twisted by design forming a "net" for the floor support that rattle against each other under light, low RPM acceleration. Weirdest design I would've never thought of to support a floor but Honda did it. Anyway... I stuffed some pieces of packaging foam between the rods and floor to tighten them up and my noise is gone. Test this by removing your seat bottom and find the rods and shake them to see if that's the noise you hear. They run from the front of the seat frame, down to under the floorboard, forward to the the front of the floorboard then back up to the frame under the dash.
I will do as you say and try this.....it does sound like this could be the noise...i will try ro upload a video of it when i get home from work...

Reactions: pct and Ragnar406
E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having trouble uploading the video I took.. message me you number and I’ll text it to you. It’ll be a better idea of what I’m talking about
Messaged....

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive got the same noise.....
Think you're on to something with the support rods. Had my floor board out the other day and those rods are pretty free moving. I could see them rattling under the right conditions. I'm gonna try the foam this weekend and report back.

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If anyone wants to hear the noise message me ur number and ive got an mp4 video of the noise

J

JTW

I duck tapped up the rods in mine a year ago and it made no difference in the rattle. That was my original thought..

Reactions: Rambo
E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I originally thought it was the subtranny as well..its either that or the motor mount or rods..ill tey to eliminate the rods and mount tonight

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I originally thought it was the subtranny as well..its either that or the motor mount or rods..ill tey to eliminate the rods and mount tonight

I think it could be both. My rods definitely were rattling louder than my sub-trans, but I still have a different clatter that seems to be in sync with the power strokes of the engine. Interesting that you noticed the rattle gone when in 4WD. I will test that on mine tonight. Makes me think that maybe the low rpm shake of the engine causes the un-engaged front driveline to rattle at the output gear of the sub-trans. Then when 4WD is engaged, the slight bind removes the slack and rattle goes away. That would explain why the cushioning properties of the Lucas quiets it down. I''ll post my findings. This is all great info btw!!

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish i could post the video of the noise...this website doesnt support mp4s

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it could be both. My rods definitely were rattling louder than my sub-trans, but I still have a different clatter that seems to be in sync with the power strokes of the engine. Interesting that you noticed the rattle gone when in 4WD. I will test that on mine tonight. Makes me think that maybe the low rpm shake of the engine causes the un-engaged front driveline to rattle at the output gear of the sub-trans. Then when 4WD is engaged, the slight bind removes the slack and rattle goes away. That would explain why the cushioning properties of the Lucas quiets it down. I''ll post my findings. This is all great info btw!!
It is nice to see you finally have positive vibes regarding your machine. I hope this gets sorted for you.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is nice to see you finally have positive vibes regarding your machine. I hope this gets sorted for you.
Thanks man. It's getting there! And thanks for letting me act like a jerk sometimes.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!