B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Hi Tom and welcome!

@CID has put together a useful Talon resource here. It contains the part # for the tube and other helpful info.
Thank you for that, Steve! Looks like a great resource that CID put together! I skipped down to the air intake post, but will have to study the whole thing. Very helpful.

Thanks!

Tom

Reactions: Lil_Steve and TimG
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I know this is an old thread, but I am new to the Talon. I have ridden motorcycles for 50+ years, and ATVs for 40 years. I just put a deposit on a 2021 R yesterday. I probably won't get it until after Christmas. I have been reading, and know that the air intake is the first thing I must address. I can't believe Honda did such a poor job on this! Hondabob, I really like your approach to this. I like leaving the factory induction tube (I don't know the actual name!) in place, and extending the intake up under the roof. With the help of your pictures, i can figure out most of this. I am wondering where you got that tube with the slight bend in it? I think I want to run a rear windshield, so I am hoping to make that work with this intake setup. It is hard to visualize without a machine in front of me! Do you find intake noise to be any problem?

BTW, I live near Congress, AZ, and would love to meet up with you someday. And we have been making a summer trip up to Williams for the last few years. We love it up there. I have put 30,000 miles on ATVs in the last 10 years, although I have kinda slowed down in the last couple of years........

Thanks for your help!

Tom
2021 Talon R (coming soon)
2015 Polaris 1000 Touring
If you leave the factory intake tube and just trim the top lip off there is no noise from the intake. I have the SATV rear window with the snorkel mounted straight up behind the window not under the roof.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I know this is an old thread, but I am new to the Talon. I have ridden motorcycles for 50+ years, and ATVs for 40 years. I just put a deposit on a 2021 R yesterday. I probably won't get it until after Christmas. I have been reading, and know that the air intake is the first thing I must address. I can't believe Honda did such a poor job on this! Hondabob, I really like your approach to this. I like leaving the factory induction tube (I don't know the actual name!) in place, and extending the intake up under the roof. With the help of your pictures, i can figure out most of this. I am wondering where you got that tube with the slight bend in it? I think I want to run a rear windshield, so I am hoping to make that work with this intake setup. It is hard to visualize without a machine in front of me! Do you find intake noise to be any problem?

BTW, I live near Congress, AZ, and would love to meet up with you someday. And we have been making a summer trip up to Williams for the last few years. We love it up there. I have put 30,000 miles on ATVs in the last 10 years, although I have kinda slowed down in the last couple of years........

Thanks for your help!

Tom
Hi and welcome to the site. Steve and I both LOVE our Talons since retiring from dirt bikes (before they hurt me again :oops: ).
Hi Tom and welcome!

@CID has put together a useful Talon resource here. It contains the part # for the tube and other helpful info.
For those interested, that thread is linked in my sig making it easier to find.
Thank you for that, Steve! Looks like a great resource that CID put together! I skipped down to the air intake post, but will have to study the whole thing. Very helpful.

Thanks!

Tom
Thank you.

Steve got his Talon first and invited me to the SxS rally at Sand Hollow a year ago, so he's been one step ahead of me and provided me with much of the info in that thread. Hondabob provided all the information for the snorkel idea but I didn't run mine up to the roof so you'll have to figure that piece out, a second Teryx tube will help and its weird bends look like they'll work there.

I was concerned about intake noise too and that's why I wanted to keep that goofy intake chamber which is either for tuning or noise control, if not both. It's also why I didn't run my snorkel up to the roof, I didn't want it pointed at my ears. The thing is - the Talon's mechanical noise (mostly gear whine) is painful to me, even wearing a helmet, so I'll always be wearing foam ear plugs anyway (same as the motorcycle).

Last edited:
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I’m doing a ride from Congress today 12-19-20 To Alamo lake, leaving from fire station 8:30-9:00 hurry on over.
I wish I could, but not today. I am trying to sell my sister in laws RZR. I got a deposit this morning, so that is good! Thanks for the invite!

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Hi and welcome to the site. Steve and I both LOVE our Talon's since retiring from dirt bikes (before they hurt me again :oops: ).
For those interested, that thread is linked in my sig making it easier to find.
Thank you.

Steve got his Talon first and invited me to the SxS rally at Sand Hollow a year ago, so he's been one step ahead of me and provided me with much of the info in that thread. Hondabob provided all the information for the snorkel idea but I didn't run mine up to the roof so you'll have to figure that piece out, a second Teryx tube will help and its weird bends look like they'll work there.

I was concerned about intake noise too and that's why I wanted to keep that goofy intake chamber which is either for tuning or noise control, if not both. It's also why I didn't run my snorkel up to the roof, I didn't want it pointed at my ears. The thing is - the Talon's mechanical noise (mostly gear whine) is painful to me, even wearing a helmet, so I'll always be wearing foam ear plugs anyway (same as the motorcycle).
I definitely will need some time to get up to speed on the Talon. I have been going back and forth over whether to buy one, and finally decided to go for it. My main rationale is that I am not getting any younger! I agree completely about keeping the goofy intake. I am sure that Honda had a good reason for designing it that way. It would have been much simpler to just make a bent 3" pipe. Too bad they dropped the ball on the inlet location. The part numbers in that post were a big help. My favorite vendor (Rocky Mountain ATV) had 6 of the pipes in stock. Now they only have 4! And the Wickenburg NAPA claims to have that hose. I will play with running the intake up to the roof. I have quite a bit of experience with oiled filters in motorcycles, and the inside of the airbox is usually an oily mess. If that starts dripping on my wife, I might be in trouble! Anyway, I may have the parts to do the intake mod before I have my Talon. :(I see MANY orders for parts and accessories in my future. I will try to get it mostly equipped and broke in before possibly making a trip to Shock Therapy. I definitely need to make it ride smooth enough for our 65 year old bodies.

You mentioned Sand Hollow. I have been watching Matt's Off Road recovery videos on YouTube (highly recommended!), and I really want to get up to Sand Hollow. I have spent a lot of time around Moab, in all sorts of vehicles, and in the Panguitch/ Bryce Canyon area. I love that country!

Thanks again!

Tom

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I definitely will need some time to get up to speed on the Talon. I have been going back and forth over whether to buy one, and finally decided to go for it. My main rationale is that I am not getting any younger! I agree completely about keeping the goofy intake. I am sure that Honda had a good reason for designing it that way. It would have been much simpler to just make a bent 3" pipe. Too bad they dropped the ball on the inlet location. The part numbers in that post were a big help. My favorite vendor (Rocky Mountain ATV) had 6 of the pipes in stock. Now they only have 4! And the Wickenburg NAPA claims to have that hose. I will play with running the intake up to the roof. I have quite a bit of experience with oiled filters in motorcycles, and the inside of the airbox is usually an oily mess. If that starts dripping on my wife, I might be in trouble! Anyway, I may have the parts to do the intake mod before I have my Talon. :(I see MANY orders for parts and accessories in my future. I will try to get it mostly equipped and broke in before possibly making a trip to Shock Therapy. I definitely need to make it ride smooth enough for our 65 year old bodies.

You mentioned Sand Hollow. I have been watching Matt's Off Road recovery videos on YouTube (highly recommended!), and I really want to get up to Sand Hollow. I have spent a lot of time around Moab, in all sorts of vehicles, and in the Panguitch/ Bryce Canyon area. I love that country!

Thanks again!

Tom
If you get a rear window and locate the filter behind it, you won't have to worry about it dripping on yer wife. :eek: Yep, oiled foam makes a mess of airboxes and did the same to my Talon (I'm not shy about oiling them as seen in the New Talon Owners thread - post 19, photo #6 😊 ). A back window will help with any noise issues which I think will be minor compared to the mechanical noise.

The snorkel and skid plate were the 2 most important items I wanted covered before my first ride but it was easy since I took delivery 2-6-20, winter here and my first ride was over a month later - your season is RIGHT NOW.

Shock Therapy is like Race Tech is for motorcycling, focused on higher speeds and racing and both 'tend' to over spring and over damp IMHO. They do have a lot of name recognition for SxSs though. Be sure to check out Weller Racing too, they're also in your area. G-Force is back east somewhere and has an excellent reputation also but that's shipping your shocks off for a couple of weeks. They offer external compression and rebound clickers if that interests you. If you aren't backing it in to the corners, try unhooking the sway bar, it'll make a noticeable difference in ride quality. Backing off your crossover rings also helps a LOT in suppleness, details in the other thread. Lower tire pressures help too but that's an iffy tradeoff, I'm running 10 pounds with beadlocks and 8 ply Chicane RX tires.

With the radiator up front, cab heat can be onerous. I had thought door lowers were mandatory just to keep mud out but my Rokblokz fender extenders pretty much keep anything off my doors, they might be enough. I don't have door lowers on the new one (stolen, heavily damaged, recovered and replaced) and it's been comfortable down to 40*.

I've also watched a lot of Matt's recoveries, he's very good at what he does. I've been doing southern Utah since my first invite back in 1972, only missing a few years since, like 2020. 😢 😢 😢 😢 😢

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Steve
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm using this filter now and it comes pre oiled. For $35 at most auto parts stores I won't be doing any cleaning plus it won't need to be replaced until 5,000 to 8,000 miles with it under the roof in clean air.

20200514 153211 resized
20200514 161711 resized

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
H
I'm using this filter now and it comes pre oiled. For $35 at most auto parts stores I won't be doing any cleaning plus it won't need to be replaced until 5,000 to 8,000 miles with it under the roof in clean air.

View attachment 242225View attachment 242226
Hey Hondabob! Do you have a brand and part number for the new filter? Is this less likely to drip oil onto my wife?:) Maybe I was too quick to order the UNI. I wanted to have the parts ready to go for when my Talon gets here. The dealer called this afternoon and now it looks like I might get it next week. Merry Christmas to me!!!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I made a snorkel for my buddy's RZR and he bought the filter from the AutoZone store in Wickenburg. It comes with a sleeve so it fits a 3 inch tube. The filter is for cars and it will fit a 4 inch tube too.

Reactions: Boundertom
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I made a snorkel for my buddy's RZR and he bought the filter from the AutoZone store in Wickenburg. It comes with a sleeve so it fits a 3 inch tube. The filter is for cars and it will fit a 4 inch tube too.
Thanks! I will check that out.

Tom

C

CGTalonR

Dec 18, 2020
Melbourne FL
Ownership

1. Talon R

Thanks for your help!

Tom
I just finished up my intake this evening with a Uni filter on my custom 3 inch inter cooler pipe. I’m still running factory filter in air box Uni is being ran as a pre filter to keep the major mud and dust out of intake. I got the inter cooler pipe off Amazon and it included flexible elbows, pipe clamps, sections of straight and curved pipe and a straight connect pieces for around $100 - enough to do my talon and friends talon. I used a metal piece from when I removed my seatbelts to secure to roll cage where there’s a open bolt spot behind passengers head in roll cage. This is extremely sturdy and I believe to be a great fix for factory intake.

E4DDFA62 5BEE 4D68 90E9 3ED200CA9594 00A50A70 F2A1 4EA9 BFF1 66427B062748

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!