P700 700-4 Deluxe inclines/mountains or 1000-5 base

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I was really close to getting a P500 where we could easily haul it in the bed of the truck and ride 50" trails, and then the wife decided that we should get a 4 seater for the whole family to ride together.

So, I've been thinking about the 700-4 deluxe. I live in Idaho, and the rig will be used for trail riding and hunting, with the very occasional utility work. That said, it will be used mostly 6k-10k elevation with some steep inclines on the mountains. My kids are still young and most of the time the 3rd and 4th passengers will be them, but on occasion I could carry adults.

I really don't want to spend the extra money on the 1000-5 (not that it isn't worth it, rather I don't want to pay the $14k for the new 700-4 deluxe as it is 😅).

Do any of you have experience with the 700-4 in this type of terrain and riding? Does it handle fine, or is the 1000-5 necessary for what I am expecting to do with it?

I'm not a speed demon or power hog, I don't mind cruising slower, but climbing and nimbleness is more important to me.

The 1000-5 base is ~$3500 more, and I do not want to pay the difference if it is not needed for me.

Also, if money wasn't a factor, it would be 1000-5 all the way, but just trying to be realistic.

Thanks.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was really close to getting a P500 where we could easily haul it in the bed of the truck and ride 50" trails, and then the wife decided that we should get a 4 seater for the whole family to ride together.

So, I've been thinking about the 700-4 deluxe. I live in Idaho, and the rig will be used for trail riding and hunting, with the very occasional utility work. That said, it will be used mostly 6k-10k elevation with some steep inclines on the mountains. My kids are still young and most of the time the 3rd and 4th passengers will be them, but on occasion I could carry adults.

I really don't want to spend the extra money on the 1000-5 (not that it isn't worth it, rather I don't want to pay the $14k for the new 700-4 deluxe as it is 😅).

Do any of you have experience with the 700-4 in this type of terrain and riding? Does it handle fine, or is the 1000-5 necessary for what I am expecting to do with it?

I'm not a speed demon or power hog, I don't mind cruising slower, but climbing and nimbleness is more important to me.

The 1000-5 base is ~$3500 more, and I do not want to pay the difference if it is not needed for me.

Also, if money wasn't a factor, it would be 1000-5 all the way, but just trying to be realistic.

Thanks.
I’ve had all three and this is what I’d say about it.

1. The 700 is the most dependable of all three.
2. The 700 transmission is the best of all three.
3. The 700 will struggle a little at higher elevation.
4. The 1000 is hands down more powerful but it’s more complicated and has more parts and electronics.
5. @CumminsPusher would probably be the best source since he had one up that way.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve had all three and this is what I’d say about it.

1. The 700 is the most dependable of all three.
2. The 700 transmission is the best of all three.
3. The 700 will struggle a little at higher elevation.
4. The 1000 is hands down more powerful but it’s more complicated and has more parts and electronics.
5. @CumminsPusher would probably be the best source since he had one up that way.
Great comments. Thank you!

Reactions: Isaiah and Russ989
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not sure where in Idaho you’re in, we ride N. Idaho. My honest opinion having both over the years is go 1000.
The 700 is bulletproof and is one of the few machines we haven’t had problems with and does have a really solid transmission, it does just fine for the most part. But it is loud at speed and is very limited if you’re into cruising at all. With no low range we had several times I’d have to back down hills scared to death that the 1000 powers right up, also felt pretty bad power loss at heights that even though the 1000 lost some it had enough it wasn’t as notable.
The 1000 we haven’t had good luck with but the problems we’ve had Honda has since taken care of. It’s a lot more solid then it started life. It can run very quiet, it’s smoother and more comfortable. Honestly a lot more fun to drive. Even after our original problems we came back with yet another because we like it so well. If a problem occurs the 1000 is more complex and expensive, both engine and transmission, and would be even more in the LE model.
I wish we would’ve been able to keep the 700 at the time we swapped to the 1000 because it is truly a good machine but I do really like the 1000 better.
For strictly work I’d say 700, for a combo thing I say 1000. But this is just my observations from where we’re at and how we drive.

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure where in Idaho you’re in, we ride N. Idaho. My honest opinion having both over the years is go 1000.
The 700 is bulletproof and is one of the few machines we haven’t had problems with and does have a really solid transmission, it does just fine for the most part. But it is loud at speed and is very limited if you’re into cruising at all. With no low range we had several times I’d have to back down hills scared to death that the 1000 powers right up, also felt pretty bad power loss at heights that even though the 1000 lost some it had enough it wasn’t as notable.
The 1000 we haven’t had good luck with but the problems we’ve had Honda has since taken care of. It’s a lot more solid then it started life. It can run very quiet, it’s smoother and more comfortable. Honestly a lot more fun to drive. Even after our original problems we came back with yet another because we like it so well. If a problem occurs the 1000 is more complex and expensive, both engine and transmission, and would be even more in the LE model.
I wish we would’ve been able to keep the 700 at the time we swapped to the 1000 because it is truly a good machine but I do really like the 1000 better.
For strictly work I’d say 700, for a combo thing I say 1000. But this is just my observations from where we’re at and how we drive.
I knew you’d have a good answer. 😉

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

I'm in SE Idaho, so I'll be riding places like Island Park, Palisades, Arco, Howe, Mackay, Stanley, Challis, Soda Springs, Lava Hot Springs, Star Valley, Swan Valley, Ashton, Medicine Lodge, Leadore, and around those areas.

Speed does concern me a little. On those gravel roads, cruising at 35-40 is normal and not sure I want to be doing that if it is revving out the 700-4 to it's max (just for those long stretches in-between trails and what not).

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

I'm in SE Idaho, so I'll be riding places like Island Park, Palisades, Arco, Howe, Mackay, Stanley, Challis, Soda Springs, Lava Hot Springs, Star Valley, Swan Valley, Ashton, Medicine Lodge, Leadore, and around those areas.

Speed does concern me a little. On those gravel roads, cruising at 35-40 is normal and not sure I want to be doing that if it is revving out the 700-4 to it's max (just for those long stretches in-between trails and what not).
I remember my wife when we got the 1000, she use to hate it over 40 and would ask me to slow down in the 700 yet the day we got the 1000 I looked over while she was driving and saw 55 on a dirt road. It is a big difference. We are very tight slow trails type so doesn’t matter there but when you want to make some time up on the dirt road it is.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I remember my wife when we got the 1000, she use to hate it over 40 and would ask me to slow down in the 700 yet the day we got the 1000 I looked over while she was driving and saw 55 on a dirt road. It is a big difference. We are very tight slow trails type so doesn’t matter there but when you want to make some time up on the dirt road it is.
Yeah, I am guessing with a larger rig, it'll be more dirt road type trails rather than tight, technical trails where I ride.

I just worry that on the flat dirt roads, the limited 700-4 will be an inconvenience. More than that, I worry about struggling up the steep stuff.

Reactions: Isaiah and wrhii
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yeah, I am guessing with a larger rig, it'll be more dirt road type trails rather than tight, technical trails where I ride.

I just worry that on the flat dirt roads, the limited 700-4 will be an inconvenience. More than that, I worry about struggling up the steep stuff.
Lol on the 1000 being just a cruiser. You’d be very surprised at how tight we ride. Most in smaller rigs don’t exactly enjoy or follow. 90% of our riding is very tight, most we carved out from single track, not exactly afraid of broken plastics. The 1000 is VERY capable.

Last edited:
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Lol on the 1000 being just a cruiser. You’d be very surprised at how tight we ride. Most in smaller rigs don’t exactly enjoy or follow. 90% of our riding is very tight, most we carved out from single track, not exactly afraid of broken plastics. The 1000 is VERY capable.
Sweet! Good to know. This will be my first SxS, so everything feels like big huge rig. I'm still riding my old '97 Honda recon, haha!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You guys are making me have 2nd thoughts about picking up another 700.
Funny thing is...there are 2 times when this happens: Reading threads like this...and cruising those smooth dirt roads.
Reality is...out on actual trails, I am quite content with the 700. It takes someone telling how bad it is to make me wonder if it was a mistake.
I know what the 700 does well, and what it doesn't do so well. I could have bought the 1000, but I didn't want to risk the issues that many have had, not it mention the price. And EVERYTHING for the 1000 seems to cost more. And it's a way bigger machine, despite what they numbers say.

But the weird thing is, even though I bought another 700, for the type of trails the OP is doing, I'd say get the 1000, even though I wouldn't make that choice for me. How weird is that?

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
You guys are making me have 2nd thoughts about picking up another 700.
Funny thing is...there are 2 times when this happens: Reading threads like this...and cruising those smooth dirt roads.
Reality is...out on actual trails, I am quite content with the 700. It takes someone telling how bad it is to make me wonder if it was a mistake.
I know what the 700 does well, and what it doesn't do so well. I could have bought the 1000, but I didn't want to risk the issues that many have had, not it mention the price. And EVERYTHING for the 1000 seems to cost more. And it's a way bigger machine, despite what they numbers say.

But the weird thing is, even though I bought another 700, for the type of trails the OP is doing, I'd say get the 1000, even though I wouldn't make that choice for me. How weird is that?
That is fair. I still think the 700-4 deluxe is what I'll get due to the price, unless there is some very compelling reasons not to. Who knows, maybe I'll be one of those that upgrades a few years down the road.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
That is fair. I still think the 700-4 deluxe is what I'll get due to the price, unless there is some very compelling reasons not to. Who knows, maybe I'll be one of those that upgrades a few years down the road.
IMO, the 700 does what it's usually needed to do at elevations. You don't need to climb that super steep play hill. You may want to, but you don't need to.
I have an (in)famous video out there about the 700's struggles with elevation. The things I was doing, 95% of people wouldn't attempt. The trails to and from those things...it did fine, though deep, icy snow at 9000' will start to challenge it. There are also some tuning options now that weren't available back then...though a power vision isn't going to turn a 700 into a fire breather at all, and it's never going to be fast.
That's the thing you mentioned that would concern me...those smooth dirt roads. The 700 does approx 44 mph. No more. Comfy dirt road cruising for me Is about 25...though that really depends on what your tolerance for RPM is.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMO, the 700 does what it's usually needed to do at elevations. You don't need to climb that super steep play hill. You may want to, but you don't need to.
I have an (in)famous video out there about the 700's struggles with elevation. The things I was doing, 95% of people wouldn't attempt. The trails to and from those things...it did fine, though deep, icy snow at 9000' will start to challenge it. There are also some tuning options now that weren't available back then...though a power vision isn't going to turn a 700 into a fire breather at all, and it's never going to be fast.
That's the thing you mentioned that would concern me...those smooth dirt roads. The 700 does approx 44 mph. No more. Comfy dirt road cruising for me Is about 25...though that really depends on what your tolerance for RPM is.
I wasn’t trying to disregard the 700 but trying to be honest. Again we loved the 700 and it was solid but between the lack of power and occasional speed then no low range it would be extremely hard to go back for how and when we want to ride.
. Sure the 700 is capable but the 1000 is more capable around here, and the extra power although not always needed is just fun. But between the deep snow, hill climbs,pushing over trees, stump jumping and Spring mud I assure you power is well warranted. It does get around better overall here flat out.
Not to mention that Idaho is a very Sxs friendly state and you can ride anywhere and Montana Washington and Oregon from the dirt, we immediately started getting out further and in more months of the year with the switch.
I still truly believe the 1000 is the most capable multi-passenger vehicle here. If we were talking somewhere else my feelings might be different. The 1000 I’ve never felt the need for people to get out for lack of power on a hill climb, even loaded down with 5 adults and heavy ass cooler it just goes, that wasn’t the case with the 700. Does it smoother quieter with less effort and more confidence and control. Definitely not trying to offend just saying my opinion for this area.
Now with that said I couldn’t or wouldn’t add even an inch to the 1000 where we ride, it’s at its very maximum so added performance here is very limited, it’s not like the Jeep trails with a passing lane in some other places I’ve seen but she goes.

Last edited:
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Can you link this (in)famous video? Sounds like it will help me with my incline concern. I am going to dig thru Youtube and the sort to see if I can find more stuff to help my search, too.

My plan is to keep saving my pennies till Spring and make a purchase then, unless some killer deal pops up before.

Side note, if I can find a used 1000-5 that is competitively priced to a new 700-4 D, is there any years or models to avoid or be cautious about?

Thanks again everyone. This is really helpful.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Don’t be afraid of used, in fact I’d suggest it, you can tell if a machine has been kept up. My local friend has 27,000 on his all dirt with about 6500 of that on tracks so yes they hold up. As far as models to avoid it was the early model but they had recalls (bulletins they called it) that fixed them. They are all pretty solid now. Just make sure if you buy an early model it has the clutch update because I think that has timed out on the free update.
I’ve had 3 and my newest is still a ‘16, so I’m not scared even with the problems I had early on. We are pretty hard on stuff. I’ve probably driven 20 of the 1000’s from various years and I see no real reason to concern yourself on the year. I know it sometimes becomes a pissing match because we all like different things but imo I’d stray away from the LE because the added technology can become expensive and you loose the true diff lock on the front. Basically it adds shocks and a skid plate but aftermarket skid is still suggested and shocks are easy.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wasn’t trying to disregard the 700 but trying to be honest. Again we loved the 700 and it was solid but between the lack of power and occasional speed then no low range it would be extremely hard to go back for how and when we want to ride.
. Sure the 700 is capable but the 1000 is more capable around here, and the extra power although not always needed is just fun. But between the deep snow, hill climbs,pushing over trees, stump jumping and Spring mud I assure you power is well warranted. It does get around better overall here flat out.
Not to mention that Idaho is a very Sxs friendly state and you can ride anywhere and Montana Washington and Oregon from the dirt, we immediately started getting out further and in more months of the year with the switch.
I still truly believe the 1000 is the most capable multi-passenger vehicle here. If we were talking somewhere else my feelings might be different. The 1000 I’ve never felt the need for people to get out for lack of power on a hill climb, even loaded down with 5 adults and heavy ass cooler it just goes, that wasn’t the case with the 700. Does it smoother quieter with less effort and more confidence and control. Definitely not trying to offend just saying my opinion for this area.
Now with that said I couldn’t or wouldn’t add even an inch to the 1000 where we ride, it’s at its very maximum so added performance here is very limited, it’s not like the Jeep trails with a passing lane in some other places I’ve seen but she goes.
I didn't take it that way at all, and I was actually going to tag you when the topic was posted because I knew you'd have good input on this.

But...you have to admit, you guys push a machine hard. Think about all those shiny RZR'S and such you've gone out with that wouldn't follow you? I guess I'm saying that the way most people use a SxS...that is, not even tapping into the true capabilities, the 700 is just fine.
But then again, outside of price and the fact that it tends to have less issues, it's hard to justify choosing the 700 over the 1000. I just don't want to tell the OP to pass on the machine he seems to want when it might be all he ever needs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!