Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I needed more storage room and wanted to install a second battery in my 2018 Pioneer 700-4. I removed the seat tray and driver's side cover to expose the area under the seat.

MG 1664thumbca5132ff4e3abfa484c576aba808cd3b

I constructed an aluminum box to fit within the area. The box measured 9" x 9" x 16" with a 1" lip on the inboard side. A notch had to be cut on the inboard side and lip to clear the factory Oil Fill tube mounts.

MG 1666thumb9859e434749b93b3a28b6febe65f6a5e

A short piece of 1" aluminum angle was mounted inside of the box to secure the bottom of the battery from sliding. I salvaged an old boat battery strap to hold the battery upright. In addition, the left front corner of the box was cut at a 45* angle to match the curvature of the seat. This angle was adjusted to meet the width of the battery. The lip on the top of the box was bolted under the seat brace on the inboard side with 2 bolts. To secure the box to the lower frame, another piece of aluminum was bent into an "L" shape 7" tall with a 2" base. The box was then leveled and secured on the outer side using the 7" x 2" L bracket and 2 more bolts. Two "U" bolts secure the "L" bracket to the frame.

MG 1669thumb7f221275ddc632e8c417bd3758cc6435

I flipped the Oil Fill tube to the other side of it's original mount to gain more room. I installed a heat reflective cover on the rubber oil fill tube to protect it from excessive engine heat. There is still an ample air gap between the box and the engine/exhaust. I insulated the outside of the box, by the exhaust, with insulated self stick matting to reduce engine heat. So far, excessive heat build up hasn't been a problem.

MG 1674thumb2508c8740f5335a85492fa682ccc98ef

In addition, I surrounded the battery with rubber belting to prevent electrical problems and any damage. I'll post the electrical hookup in a future post.

MG 1674thumbcece09fb6d15c791070e45c4d9042ded

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I needed more storage room and wanted to install a second battery in my 2018 Pioneer 700-4. I removed the seat tray and driver's side cover to expose the area under the seat.

View attachment 201745

I constructed an aluminum box to fit within the area. The box measured 9" x 9" x 16" with a 1" lip on the inboard side. A notch had to be cut on the inboard side and lip to clear the factory Oil Fill tube mounts.

View attachment 201746

A short piece of 1" aluminum angle was mounted inside of the box to secure the bottom of the battery from sliding. I salvaged an old boat battery strap to hold the battery upright. In addition, the left front corner of the box was cut at a 45* angle to match the curvature of the seat. This angle was adjusted to meet the width of the battery. The lip on the top of the box was bolted under the seat brace on the inboard side with 2 bolts. To secure the box to the lower frame, another piece of aluminum was bent into an "L" shape 7" tall with a 2" base. The box was then leveled and secured on the outer side using the 7" x 2" L bracket and 2 more bolts. Two "U" bolts secure the "L" bracket to the frame.

View attachment 201747

I flipped the Oil Fill tube to the other side of it's original mount to gain more room. I installed a heat reflective cover on the rubber oil fill tube to protect it from excessive engine heat. There is still an ample air gap between the box and the engine/exhaust. I insulated the outside of the box, by the exhaust, with insulated self stick matting to reduce engine heat. So far, excessive heat build up hasn't been a problem.

View attachment 201748

In addition, I surrounded the battery with rubber belting to prevent electrical problems and any damage. I'll post the electrical hookup in a future post.

View attachment 201749
Nice work, you should consider producing those for the 700 crowd. There are no good places for an extra battery as you know. I like the fact that it’s accessible and solid.

P

pioneerguy700

Jun 4, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Very nice. Please send more when you get it completed. Did you add any lights, a winch, stereo, etc? Also how did you hook up the dual batteries to both charge?

NewHere2

NewHere2

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Very nice. Please send more when you get it completed. Did you add any lights, a winch, stereo, etc? Also how did you hook up the dual batteries to both charge?

I only run 3 lights, the largest is a 10" Rigid on the front and 2 reverse lights. A Warn 3500 winch is setup to pull off the front or rear.
I installed a "TRU" battery isolator to handle the charging of both batteries. Simple install just using their mounting instructions.

D

dalis7393

May 25, 2020
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like it. Very Nice. I have a 2020 700-4. Any chance of you making one for me? I am electrical based and not very good at metal work.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 201745

View attachment 201746

View attachment 201747

View attachment 201748

View attachment 201749
That's trick!

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
D

dalis7393

May 25, 2020
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am not a good fabricator. I am electrical based. Can you create one for me? I will happily pay you for your time and materials. Thank You.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey New!!

Very nice work just found you posts and I hope I don't get blamed for copying your design. I have a group 24 battery in mind and ordered the True isolator yesterday, have battery cable lugs, #2 cable and a bunch of 0.080 alum sheet left from other projects. I do have a couple questions for you if I may...did you put a lid on the box and what about a drain in the bottom? I was going to TIG but I'm a little out of practice so will probably get out the rivet gun and use some angle on the outside of the box since my brake won't bend that heavy sheet. Your insulation is a great idea and I think I may steal that if you don't mind. One last question...looks like there is no divider between the battery section and whatever you will store there. Did you just think it wasn't necessary?

Thanks a lot for the pictures and your descriptions!!

D

dalis7393

May 25, 2020
Ownership

1. 700-4
Me Too. I would love one for my 700-4.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi Tim,
I love to build stuff but I have 2 1/2 airplanes, a boat trailer, maybe a little trailer for the SXS, a 1958 Willey FC 150 to get running before the Memorial Day parade and if I can get my wife to cough up money I want to build a 24'x30' shed for my tractor and other stuff in the Spring. Oh yeah, I need some time to ride the SXS, motorcycles and go to Canada to explore (if they ever over the border) and the PNW and other places I've missed over the years.

I'll ask my son if he's interested but he has an airplane half done, an 84 Blazer to finish, new engine to put into his Honda daily driver and do stuff I don't feel like doing.

For someone looking for projects there is probably a cottage industry out there making stuff for SXS...Just doesn't fit my future.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Hey New!!

........did you put a lid on the box and what about a drain in the bottom?

.......... One last question...looks like there is no divider between the battery section and whatever you will store there. Did you just think it wasn't necessary?

Thanks a lot for the pictures and your descriptions!!

I used a flexible piece of Kydex type material for the divider between the battery and the storage area. It allows easier access to the battery, but still protects it. I also used the same material for a lid/cover. I did not install a drain in the box. I do like that idea .

NewHere2

NewHere2

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Sorry Guys, my health won't allow me to make these items. It's a labor of love for my 8 yr old grandson. He lost his "Dad" in an auto accident this year. What I accomplish now, most likely will be the last I'm able to do.

Hope some of the ideas are helpful, it makes me smile when you folks take an idea and improve on it.

All The Best!

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Very sorry to hear that and may God Bless your grandson and your family!!

Smile away 'cuz I'm doing just what you did for the extra battery. Just sheared pieces out of 0.080 6061 for a 10" x 10" x 16" box with a top and a drain. We're going to TIG since this is the perfect thing to practice on since no one will see it without an invitation. Kydex is a good idea and I have chunks left over from an airplane interior.

Best to all and stay healthy!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!