BOX1

P700 700 wont go into drive....transmission gone?

otis_campbell

otis_campbell

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thumb of the mitten
Ownership

1. 700-2
Went thru posts but cant find anything...recently bought a 2014 700 and drove it around occasionally but not much yet. Was using it to pick rocks in field behind my house, started the engine and while I was sitting there the motor stalled and kinda clunked when it did it. I started right back up and sounds fine. Put it into drive and all it does is rev up. Put it in 4x4 thinking maybe could drive it up to house using front axle but won't move. Going to climb under it this weekend but wondering if there's anything I can look for? Linkage? Before I bought I researched the rans on these and hadn't hear of any problems. The top end of the motor was rebuilt when I got it but that's all I know about the rig

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Oil level good? Does it go in reverse? If the oil level is good and it moves in reverse you probably lost first gear. There is a second gear lock up on these with a screw but if it doesnt move in reverse it could be the torque converter is out.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
otis_campbell

otis_campbell

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thumb of the mitten
Ownership

1. 700-2
It doesn't really feel like it's engaging with anything....tried reverse also and nothing. Oil is fine, I had checked that before I took it out and then again when it wouldn't move. Was hoping something simple and not anything internal but that's not how my luck rolls.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like the torque converter took a crap. Which is very very unusual. Im not even sure what the way to go about changing it or what else to check but maybe 1 of the other will chime in. Only thing i could say is maybe checking the shift linkage but if everything is moving. Then more than likely thats what it is. Maybe @Russ989 not sure which honda tech is actually hondatech

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like the torque converter took a crap. Which is very very unusual. Im not even sure what the way to go about changing it or what else to check but maybe 1 of the other will chime in. Only thing i could say is maybe checking the shift linkage but if everything is moving. Then more than likely thats what it is. Maybe @Russ989 not sure which honda tech is actually hondatech

@HondaTech is the authority, all I know is the 700 trans is pretty bullet proof and typically when they quit engaging it’s burnt clutch media to blame if memory serves me right. I think there are three ports towards the bottom of the engine/trans where you can check pressures as well.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
1st thing to do is check oil level (as stated above) By the manual.
If that's good, make sure the shift cable is moving the on the rear of the engine.

Beyond that, you'll probably have to check the oil pressure. 1st and reverse use the same clutch (the reversal is in the sub tranny), but you could always try the emergency drive screw (which will be 2nd gear) and see if it moves.
I don't recall, bit it seems like the Rincon or the Rubicon would occasionally have the oil pump chain jump off the sprockets when worn. That could explain the noise, and then lack of drive.

But that's just a wild ass guess.
Hopefully, it's something simple.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah i tried to tag hondatech but 3 names showed up. Wasnt sure which was his

otis_campbell

otis_campbell

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thumb of the mitten
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey guys appreciate all the help. We're on lockdown here so will be trying what you suggested and let you know the result

otis_campbell

otis_campbell

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thumb of the mitten
Ownership

1. 700-2
Before I bought I did research online...this was one of the sites....and the trans seemed like the one thing I wouldn't have to worry about lol

H

HondaTech

Its very rare for a converter to go bad, I've only replaced them in the seal inside has been nicked, because you can't get that seal without the converter.

If the oil level is good, and the cable is engaging the sub trans into drive or reverse then oil pressure is the next step. Mnn

Clutches are hard to burn in these since the converter acts as a centrifugal clutch to keep from slipping the drive clutch at creeping speeds.

otis_campbell

otis_campbell

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thumb of the mitten
Ownership

1. 700-2
What is involved with checking the pressure....tools etc? Is there a service manual online I can buy and download that will help with this?

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reactions: FJC 79
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Says I don't have permission to view this page....did say something about a beer fund....I'll donate if they let me in🍻👍
I think it is in the supporting/lifetime membership area. Click into your account and click account upgrades (I think) to make it happen. If you can't find it PM @Hondasxs and he can send you the link I'm sure.

B

bamabum

Jul 1, 2016
Alabama
Ownership

1. 700-2
YOU ARE NOT ALONE... I don't have a solution, but I DO have a similar problem! I bought my 700 pioneer new and after about 100 hours, on random occasions, I'll crank it up and when I put it in gear (either reverse or forward) the engine races like it's in neutral, and the transmission doesn't engage..and then it will pop my neck when it engages. But in a minute or so mine will go ahead and run perfectly then. I was using Castrol 4T for motorcycles synthetic engine oil and read some blogs saying "use ONLY Honda oil", so (just to rule that out) I tried that at my recent oil/filter change....it still does it.
I've had no other issues mechanically, and this is just an aggravation, but it is very un-honda-like. I wish I understood the transmission working better, and hope someone has some real expertise on trouble-shooting this issue.

Reactions: FJC 79 and Mudwing
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
YOU ARE NOT ALONE... I don't have a solution, but I DO have a similar problem! I bought my 700 pioneer new and after about 100 hours, on random occasions, I'll crank it up and when I put it in gear (either reverse or forward) the engine races like it's in neutral, and the transmission doesn't engage..and then it will pop my neck when it engages. But in a minute or so mine will go ahead and run perfectly then. I was using Castrol 4T for motorcycles synthetic engine oil and read some blogs saying "use ONLY Honda oil", so (just to rule that out) I tried that at my recent oil/filter change....it still does it.
I've had no other issues mechanically, and this is just an aggravation, but it is very un-honda-like. I wish I understood the transmission working better, and hope someone has some real expertise on trouble-shooting this issue.
How long between start up and take off are you allowing? Atleast let it set 1 minute when warm out. And 1 bar on the temp gauge when cold. These things dont like like to be cranked and floored. The oil isnt circulated yet.

• Love
Reactions: FJC 79 and Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!