• Total voters
Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, Considering a tire upgrade of stock P1000-5 Deluxe---has anyone experience with STI Roctane XD Kevlar/EFX Motoclaw/Maxxis Carnivore/Kenda Bear Claw HTR or Mastodon HT's ?

What’s better for Eastcoast riding? Or mountainous rocky terrain with wet dirt?

Dry desert rock with sand will be in a different poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, Considering a tire upgrade of stock P1000-5 Deluxe---has anyone experience with STI Roctane XD Kevlar/EFX Motoclaw/Maxxis Carnivore/Kenda Bear Claw HTR or Mastodon HT's ?
Welcome from South West Missouri . I'm sure someone on here has .

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and TimG
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I ran the Roctanes for a couple thousand miles. They are good tires but they are so stiff. I believe the stiffness is what loosened the joints and bearings quicker than the soft tires.

The Carnivores would be the best choice in my opinion for an east coast trails tire. That’s what I wanted but they were on back order when I needed to buy. So I bought the Tusk Terrabites instead and they are great. They ride so much smoother vs the roctanes.

Add terrabites to your list and keep researching.

@sharp used the EFX motoclaw I believe. While it’s not a bad tire, he had a hard time following some of us in some rocky steep trails that were also muddy. It seems like that was the last time I saw those tires on his vehicle.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I ran the Roctanes for a couple thousand miles. They are good tires but they are so stiff. I believe the stiffness is what loosened the joints and bearings quicker than the soft tires.

The Carnivores would be the best choice in my opinion for an east coast trails tire. That’s what I wanted but they were on back order when I needed to buy. So I bought the Tusk Terrabites instead and they are great. They ride so much smoother vs the roctanes.

@sharp used the EFX motoclaw I believe. While it’s not a bad tire, he had a hard time following some of us in some rocky steep trails that were also muddy. It seems like that was the last time I saw those tires on his vehicle.

I wish sooo much I had went with the 8 ply Terrabites instead of the 6 ply Bighorns. Less expensive too.

EDIT... I meant to say Trilobites not Terrabites, Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The terrabites are good because of how well they work combined with the price.

I can tell they aren’t a mud tire and will fill up quick but more skinny pedal has kept me from getting stuck when I shouldn’t.

Maybe I should should start a poll....

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you like the bighorn tread pattern but want an 8 ply tire, tusk makes an 8 ply trilobite that is a bighorn knock off. I ordered a set of 29x11's to pair with a set of bighorns I had laying around out front (thanks to @TimG for helping convince me to take the plunge).

Ran 150ish miles down at Hatfield McCoy last weekend through Rockhouse, Devil Anse, Buffalo Mountain and Bear Wallow and only put it in 4wd a couple of times. It was superrrr wet too. Really just needed it on ultra loose rocky hills.

I can't speak to the durability, but some good reviews on their website. Also can't state enough how much I love the subtle difference going with a 29 inch version offered. Measure just over 28 inches @14 psi and really fill the fender nice with no rubbing.

Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply Tire

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
The terrabites are good because of how well they work combined with the price.

I can tell they aren’t a mud tire and will fill up quick but more skinny pedal has kept me from getting stuck when I shouldn’t.

Maybe I should should start a poll....
If you like the bighorn tread pattern but want an 8 ply tire, tusk makes an 8 ply trilobite that is a bighorn knock off. I ordered a set of 29x11's to pair with a set of bighorns I had laying around out front (thanks to @TimG for helping convince me to take the plunge).

Ran 150ish miles down at Hatfield McCoy last weekend through Rockhouse, Devil Anse, Buffalo Mountain and Bear Wallow and only put it in 4wd a couple of times. It was superrrr wet too. Really just needed it on ultra loose rocky hills.

I can't speak to the durability, but some good reviews on their website. Also can't state enough how much I love the subtle difference going with a 29 inch version offered. Measure just over 28 inches @14 psi and really fill the fender nice with no rubbing.

Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply Tire

OOPs ! That's what I meant, Trilobites not Terrabites, to many tires with the "bite" in them.:rolleyes:

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yes I had the motoclaw, it's a hard tire and not the ideal tire for tennessee from my experience. I also had a hard time keeping air in them. Basically I got them because they were already on some wheels that I liked at the dealer and figured I would try them out. That was before I joined the club and didn't know any better. All in all I guess they were ok

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've owned the tensor and rockabilly. I give both 5 stars. Never had a flat with either one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!