P1000 814 Shocks

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone put on a set of the 814 shocks? I'm looking for a better ride a speed and to get rid of body roll. I hear good things about these shocks but want some more feedback before I drop that kind of money. Thanks for any help.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Firemedic530 has a set installed as well.
He is in Ohio. Not sure how close or far from you though. But it might be worth a drive to check them out in person before plunking down that kind of cash.

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am just outside Columbus and I bought a set of 4 shocks with bolts and straps. I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of Fox shocks until I called and talked to Craig at 814.
I am very happy with the increased trail comfort, increased travel(lift) and the reduction in body roll. I removed the rear sway bar at the same time and the flex is much better as well.
Now these are not a racing shock and will not out perform Elka stage 3-5 shocks. I can not go through the rollers I have on my track here at home much faster than stock. It still bucks. Craig told me if I adjusted them to stay smooth there I would sacrifice the plush ride I bought them for on the small trail stuff. My cousins R-spec wolverine handles my rollers better, but lacks the plushness these provide on the trail.

I am heading to royal blue Thursday for almost a week and will have a much better idea of the shock performance afterwards. I will post on here after. You can also message me if you would like to get together to try mine and see what you think. Tim

Reactions: sharp, BWAF and JTW
ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe they are in PA. Looks like about 3 hours from me.
@Firemedic530 has a set installed as well.
He is in Ohio. Not sure how close or far from you though. But it might be worth a drive to check them out in person before plunking down that kind of cash.

Reactions: BWAF
ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm looking to get a better ride when a higher speeds. The stock shocks stop working at about 15mph on rough roads. And the wife wants to get rid of the top heavy body roll. It doesn't bother me but she isn't liking it. I run about 75% of the time on the farm and hunting and trail ride the other 25%.

I am just outside Columbus and I bought a set of 4 shocks with bolts and straps. I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of Fox shocks until I called and talked to Craig at 814.
I am very happy with the increased trail comfort, increased travel(lift) and the reduction in body roll. I removed the rear sway bar at the same time and the flex is much better as well.
Now these are not a racing shock and will not out perform Elka stage 3-5 shocks. I can not go through the rollers I have on my track here at home much faster than stock. It still bucks. Craig told me if I adjusted them to stay smooth there I would sacrifice the plush ride I bought them for on the small trail stuff. My cousins R-spec wolverine handles my rollers better, but lacks the plushness these provide on the trail.

I am heading to royal blue Thursday for almost a week and will have a much better idea of the shock performance afterwards. I will post on here after. You can also message me if you would like to get together to try mine and see what you think. Tim

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are good to maybe 35 depending on the terrain. Washboard and smaller rain washouts disappear where the stock shocks would bottom hard, but whoops and jumps I wouldn't get these. Of course I wouldn't have bought a P1K5 for that anyways. When I get back from Tennessee, I wouldn't be opposed to meeting at Perry APV area for a ride and you could try ours.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm loving mine so far. Much much smoother ride. Putting couple hundred miles on it this weekend at Tackett creek. Looking to really put them through their paces but so far it's all good.

Michigander

Michigander

Nov 13, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been running them now for a while. I originally bought the Fox shocks thinking they were as good as people were saying. Reality set in pretty quickly that they were not for me. The fox shocks always seemed to either bottom out on me, or ride like a railway cart with nothing in between no matter my preload setting. So I sold my fronts, and did some horse trading with Delton on the rears, and bought the 814's. I couldn't be happier. I also use mine for everything from extreme rough riding to extreme fast riding, and have no complaints. Saying they are only good to 35mph is false for me anyways, as we often ride hard at above 35 over washboard and depending on what I'm set at, they eat it up.

33674516 1844596575562559 5484761374015881216 o 1

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been running them now for a while. I originally bought the Fox shocks thinking they were as good as people were saying. Reality set in pretty quickly that they were not for me. The fox shocks always seemed to either bottom out on me, or ride like a railway cart with nothing in between no matter my preload setting. So I sold my fronts, and did some horse trading with Delton on the rears, and bought the 814's. I couldn't be happier. I also use mine for everything from extreme rough riding to extreme fast riding, and have no complaints. Saying they are only good to 35mph is false for me anyways, as we often ride hard at above 35 over washboard and depending on what I'm set at, they eat it up.

View attachment 89885
I have no problem with those Fox on the rear. They seem to play well with the 814s up front. But I don't do high speed stuff. Out of 5300+ miles my avg mph is still below 12mph after all the road miles I've put on it. I just wouldn't be happy with 3 settings up front. Bought a Lincoln sp125 mig welder brand new few years ago. Only had 4 heat settings. Sold it after only couple of weeks lol. Same reason.

Reactions: BWAF and Remington
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 89885
Have you found a set up for the bigger rollers? I talked with Craig several times and just didn't find a setting that stopped it from bucking. I also have issues with bottoming when both wheels hit an obstacle at the same time. Washboard and potholes disappear, but it hurts to hit erosion control cuts. I haven't gone more than 12 clicks in on compression at Craigs suggestion. Are you going stiffer?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you found a set up for the bigger rollers? I talked with Craig several times and just didn't find a setting that stopped it from bucking. I also have issues with bottoming when both wheels hit an obstacle at the same time. Washboard and potholes disappear, but it hurts to hit erosion control cuts. I haven't gone more than 12 clicks in on compression at Craigs suggestion. Are you going stiffer?
Tim what spring rate are you using?

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 300 front and 325 rear.
We had a fun little ride today going until I came around a corner at 35 and had a creek crossing that was more abrupt than I expected. I slowed some and then punched it as I was dropping in and we bottomed hard enough they announced a minor earthquake in southwestern ohio. My wife has some neck issues and this ended today's ride. I don't know that any shocks would have made it smooth on a P1K5, but it wasn't good. I'm wondering if bigger bottoming bumpers would help as well.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any others gone from Fox to 814? I have front fox on mine right now and im stuck between adding rear fox, or selling the front ones and getting 814. Fox made a huge difference in my ride already.

Reactions: Kioski and Kolton
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any others gone from Fox to 814? I have front fox on mine right now and im stuck between adding rear fox, or selling the front ones and getting 814. Fox made a huge difference in my ride already.

I rode my 1000-5 1 day with Fox fronts and stock rears and I got home and ordered rears. I'm a lot happier without the load leveling rear shocks and sway bar. The wheel hop at 25-50 mph in these machines is terrible. It's nearly gone now and we're riding faster and smoother than before.

I'd love to try the 814s but I'm almost in the mindset that the Fox shocks set a reasonable pace and tell you when to back off a bit.

Reactions: JTW
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I rode my 1000-5 1 day with Fox fronts and stock rears and I got home and ordered rears. I'm a lot happier without the load leveling rear shocks and sway bar. The wheel hop at 25-50 mph in these machines is terrible. It's nearly gone now and we're riding faster and smoother than before.

I'd love to try the 814s but I'm almost in the mindset that the Fox shocks set a reasonable pace and tell you when to back off a bit.
Yea, i dont ride crazy or jump, but want to smooth out the ride. WV trails get rough. Been hearing a lot of good things about the 814's and im really tempted since im not fully vested in fox yet. But just hard to pull the trigger.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There web page does not give much info. Are they nitrogen charged? Emulsion type?.
What is the price range? Very interested.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There web page does not give much info. Are they nitrogen charged? Emulsion type?.
What is the price range? Very interested.
Oil, twin tube design, long travel and require limit straps. Cost is 1100 bucks.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oil, twin tube design, long travel and require limit straps. Cost is 1100 bucks.
You can get straps from them for 200 bucks for 4. Very well built straps too. Comes with all hardware.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is that for a pair of 2?
Boy if these had a high speed valve for the sudden big bumps, these would be awesome.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!