ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
How are the 814's holding up over time? Everyone still liking them? I have heard some people say they aren't a simple bolt on, and there is some grinding. If I have to grind the shock mounts that's a deal breaker...

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How are the 814's holding up over time? Everyone still liking them? I have heard some people say they aren't a simple bolt on, and there is some grinding. If I have to grind the shock mounts that's a deal breaker...
If that is a deal breaker for you, then best not get them. IIRC it was the rear lower mounts that had to be grind. Really not that complicated, more of just a PITA. You probably better look at Fox.

Reactions: JTW
Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This questions goes out to anybody with a Tough Country front bumper, what shocks are you running? It bottoms out bad and overall the stock shocks suck, looking for input with anybody with a heavy front bumper and winch. Thanks

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This questions goes out to anybody with a Tough Country front bumper, what shocks are you running? It bottoms out bad and overall the stock shocks suck, looking for input with anybody with a heavy front bumper and winch. Thanks
I've got the tough country with a winch on my 3 seater. I've got fox shocks. I had to add almost a half inch of preload to my front shocks to get stock ground clearance back, due to the extra weight. I have no seat time in it. My son has about a 100 miles of seat time since we put the bumper on it. He said the ride felt just as good as it did prior to the bumper and winch being installed.

Reactions: Chevy412SP
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If that is a deal breaker for you, then best not get them. IIRC it was the rear lower mounts that had to be grind. Really not that complicated, more of just a PITA. You probably better look at Fox.

What's weird is that i've read some people say that they didn't have to grind anything. I was dead set on the fox shocks for the simplicity and the fact that they fit 100% and are a "factory" part. But everyone that has the 814's seems to be very happy with them and they are a bit cheaper. For some reason you don't see the fox shocks for sale as much as you used to. I can still find them, but definitely not at a great price.

I'm just getting tired of bottoming out the front suspension and I really don't ride that hard for the most part.

Reactions: BigOL3
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Replied to PM. Now I better understand you point/concern. I am well pleased with the 814s and actually consider the front weight a plus, when climb up steep rough hills.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's weird is that i've read some people say that they didn't have to grind anything. I was dead set on the fox shocks for the simplicity and the fact that they fit 100% and are a "factory" part. But everyone that has the 814's seems to be very happy with them and they are a bit cheaper. For some reason you don't see the fox shocks for sale as much as you used to. I can still find them, but definitely not at a great price.

I'm just getting tired of bottoming out the front suspension and I really don't ride that hard for the most part.
I don't know how that could be. I would think all P1Ks had the same shock brackets?? No problems here with the 814s.

Reactions: ehart814
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im still totally happy with my 814s. And yes some minor grinding is necessary. The mount till contact body of shock otherwise. It's not much material and still plenty left for strength.
I preferred the 814s to Fox mainly due to adjustability. I ride many different types of terrain. The 814s can be dialed in for that specific type. If you prefer plug n play and don't want to adjust your shocks much then Fox are a great option.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Im still totally happy with my 814s. And yes some minor grinding is necessary. The mount till contact body of shock otherwise. It's not much material and still plenty left for strength.
I preferred the 814s to Fox mainly due to adjustability. I ride many different types of terrain. The 814s can be dialed in for that specific type. If you prefer plug n play and don't want to adjust your shocks much then Fox are a great option.

Thank you, I think you told me everything I need to hear. I think for my use, I'd be thrilled with the fox shocks. I really don't want to tinker with adjustments, never knowing if I had them set as good as possible for the conditions. Hopefully a set will pop up one of these days.

H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't ride hard at all but would really like a more comfortable ride. I ride 75% street and the rest on trails and fire roads. I don't want any extra lift at all and only carry a load of firewood every now and then while camping. What do you all think would be the best choice for my situation? And, where is the best place to buy? Thanks, I appreciate the support this group offers!

Reactions: TripleB
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't ride hard at all but would really like a more comfortable ride. I ride 75% street and the rest on trails and fire roads. I don't want any extra lift at all and only carry a load of firewood every now and then while camping. What do you all think would be the best choice for my situation? And, where is the best place to buy? Thanks, I appreciate the support this group offers!
Under that scenario, I did not have any problem with stock shocks and would have never bought others.

H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would it change your mind if I, every once in a while, get into some knarly rough spots and it's at a walking speed but it's only once in a blue moon?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would it change your mind if I, every once in a while, get into some knarly rough spots and it's at a walking speed but it's only once in a blue moon?
Not for me, NO. But IF I had more $$ than I had sense, I probably would. I rode some serious hill/rocks in Mo. with stock shocks, but had to take it pretty easy. Better shocks just made it more fun by going a little faster.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!