BOX1

P500 A Shocking Question

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone tried one of the low price shocks from amazon? There appears to be quite a few and the common comment appears to be not enough dampening (based on the comment that they bottom out to easy). I was thinking about trying a pair on the back of my P500 that is a couple inches longer than stock, then set the sag so that the ride height is that of the original ride height. If the damping is too light I will use a thinker suspension fluid. My basic premise on the original P500 shocks is not enough sag for the shock to dampen in both directions and too much low speed dampening, is that an accurate assessment?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I suspect you will feel some difference, but the amount relative to cost will be small in my opinion without changing many suspension related components, i.e., springs, sway bar, tires, etc., but who knows....

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I started a thread on this a while back but never got around to actually ordering any. I think the shocks would improve the ride. I am not sure how well they would hold up in the long run. Still on my to do list though. I think I was looking at gytr or something to that effect. They were Chinese but had remote reservoir with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Sway bar is already removed and as soon as the weather warms up a bit I am going to 27" 6 ply tires. This spring I might play with the shocks, however I didn't figure in reliability and strength of the shock. Thanks for the input.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
@Keebler highly recommend radial tires. I installed Kenda Bear Claw HTRs in 27x11x12s on all corners, including 5-2 offset rims. Typically 6 psi air pressure and they ride noticeably nicer then bias ply tires, I’d say more traction too. In respect to shocks, they are costly for quality ones, I went with Elka Stage 3s and would do it over again. The ride and handling combo with Elkas and radials are expensive, the difference is remarkable, rides and handles like a different machine. Easily 2 gears quicker over any terrain compared to stock.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Reasonably happy with the ride with my HTR 27s on 12s.
Will a shock upgrade improve it significantly from there?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Reasonably happy with the ride with my HTR 27s on 12s.
Will a shock upgrade improve it significantly from there?
If I was to estimate percent improvement anecdotally, I’d say my HTRs (27x11x12 on 5-2 rims 6-8 psi all corners), improved ride by 40% and Stage 3 Elkas by 60% over stock. These are just gut feelings nothing to base it on. For the first while I’d be flinching or tensing coming to sharp bump(s) in the trails I ride, now it seems to glide over them.... hahahaha.

Here in Canada, Stage 3s and radials with rims are a significant financial commitment and not for everyone. Radials for sure when it come time for tire renewal, shocks... that’s a big bit, however worth it if you plan to keep it for the long run, really changes these little rigs for sure.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If I was to estimate percent improvement anecdotally, I’d say my HTRs (27x11x12 on 5-2 rims 6-8 psi all corners), improved ride by 40% and Stage 3 Elkas by 60% over stock. These are just gut feelings nothing to base it on. For the first while I’d be flinching or tensing coming to sharp bump(s) in the trails I ride, now it seems to glide over them.... hahahaha.

Here in Canada, Stage 3s and radials with rims are a significant financial commitment and not for everyone. Radials for sure when it come time for tire renewal, shocks... that’s a big bit, however worth it if you plan to keep it for the long run, really changes these little rigs for sure.

I'd have to agree with that assessment. The "oh sh**" moments aren't near as bad as they used to be. Also two yrs after adding the shocks, running down a corduroy trail at 35 I just looked over at the wife and didn't have to say a word. She knew it too and I just gave her a wink. Well worth the money.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Tires will help the ride a bunch. If you really want the smoothest, nicest ride possible, buy some good shocks. Elka and Works are the brands I have had in the past.

They are expensive, but well worth it. It’s hard to justify sticking $1,200+ into shocks, but it will be your favorite modification. I’ve never met anyone who had regretted buying good shocks.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!