About that Uni Filter inside the air box:

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I read where quite a few people are putting a Uni in their air-box as a pre filter. And I read about someone doing it, and the filter fell off after it got dirty, basically getting sucked off. I didn't say that did I? After buying the filter and attempting to use it temporarily, until I do a snorkel, I see a problem. The 3" inlet tube is not solid. As you tighten the filter clamp, that soft inlet tube collapses and forces itself off. I can tighten it a little without it coming off. Even if I found the perfect tightness, when it starts bouncing down the trail I think it would fall off. I put some contact cement on it and hope it holds until I do the snorkel. My air filter is probably at it's half life. So it will motivate me to get busy on that project.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I read where quite a few people are putting a Uni in their air-box as a pre filter. And I read about someone doing it, and the filter fell off after it got dirty, basically getting sucked off. I didn't say that did I? After buying the filter and attempting to use it temporarily, until I do a snorkel, I see a problem. The 3" inlet tube is not solid. As you tighten the filter clamp, that soft inlet tube collapses and forces itself off. I can tighten it a little without it coming off. Even if I found the perfect tightness, when it starts bouncing down the trail I think it would fall off. I put some contact cement on it and hope it holds until I do the snorkel. My air filter is probably at it's half life. So it will motivate me to get busy on that project.
I am new here, but not new to off roading. Since I am in dusty Arizona, the first thing I did to my new 1000R was to install the Hondabob air intake system. I have about $125 in that, almost half of which is the overpriced NAPA hose. I am confident that the $45 Honda filter will last thousands of miles. I put a 3" Spectre oiled filter under the roof, just like Hondabob. It took a little time, but with CID's write-up and pictures, it turned out great.

Tom

Reactions: ChadD and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am new here, but not new to off roading. Since I am in dusty Arizona, the first thing I did to my new 1000R was to install the Hondabob air intake system. I have about $125 in that, almost half of which is the overpriced NAPA hose. I am confident that the $45 Honda filter will last thousands of miles. I put a 3" Spectre oiled filter under the roof, just like Hondabob. It took a little time, but with CID's write-up and pictures, it turned out great.

Tom
That information is linked in my sig for anyone curious about it along with some other useful Talon tidbits. I'm glad to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge (one year in SxSs 😊) and I won't BS you if I don't know.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So how’d that work out with contact cement?

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
DOOGLE you just hit the nail right on the head, Never understood why people were installing them in the air box, way more advantages to external location. If it is inside the airbox then you still have to pull the rear cover, then pull the airbox cover, then remove all the screws that hold the filter, then remove the filter, then remove the prefilter clean it and reverse the process and because the intake location did not get relocated the system is still being fed a constant diet of filthy air kicked up by the right reat tire. I installed mine externally so that it is in clean air and it litterally takes me 5 minutes to remove and clean. My plan was to just throw in a new OEM filter once a year, but after inspecting my OEM a year later I have decided to wait another year....thats how good it looks. I have helped 2 other Talon owners that I know do the same

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
^^^ Bingo. Once you get over the 3" hole in a body panel, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

It's a 5 minute R&R if you have a spare Uni and it's right out in the open where you can keep an eye on it. More importantly, you're not constantly opening the overly complex stock airbox.
I gXGK7GX M

I CMJfXgJ L

Reactions: IDIOT and TripleB
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
You guys that have the uni fall off or have trouble with the soft inlet flange that the uni is connected to,,, good grief !! What I did was simple to cure that issue and it cost me just over a dollar. Go down to your favorite hardware store and browse in the plumbing section. First measure the inside diameter of the inlet flange,,,, it just something over 3 inches ( forgot the exact size). With your ruler in hand dig around in the plastic drain line section where all the elbows and connectors are kept in bins. Since it is drain connectors they are white plastic.....ok.... You will find white plastic union connectors that are made to join two pieces of line together. One of the connectors is the right size that will fit snugly inside the soft rubber inlet flange. Give your dollar to the pretty young thing at the counter,,,dont forget to ask if she is married and if not offer to take her for a whrl wind ride in your UTV when the filter is on right and will not fall off and dust your precious motor. When you get home slicken up the connector and slide it inside the flange. Now slip on the uni and tighten the sh!t out of it but not too tight to cut in to the flange on the uni. Grab ur cell phone and call up the "pretty" you just met and give her hell (your talon not her).

PS: you may need to cut the length of the plastic for a good fit,,,, I'm a old dude and forget some things if I did that or not. I have since went to a r2c and installed a filter minder to keep a eye on restriction,,, so far the air box is squeaky clean. With that recipe I just keep a eye on the filter minder and take my air box off infrequently.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
You guys that have the uni fall off or have trouble with the soft inlet flange that the uni is connected to,,, good grief !! What I did was simple to cure that issue and it cost me just over a dollar. Go down to your favorite hardware store and browse in the plumbing section. First measure the inside diameter of the inlet flange,,,, it just something over 3 inches ( forgot the exact size). With your ruler in hand dig around in the plastic drain line section where all the elbows and connectors are kept in bins. Since it is drain connectors they are white plastic.....ok.... You will find white plastic union connectors that are made to join two pieces of line together. One of the connectors is the right size that will fit snugly inside the soft rubber inlet flange. Give your dollar to the pretty young thing at the counter,,,dont forget to ask if she is married and if not offer to take her for a whrl wind ride in your UTV when the filter is on right and will not fall off and dust your precious motor. When you get home slicken up the connector and slide it inside the flange. Now slip on the uni and tighten the sh!t out of it but not too tight to cut in to the flange on the uni. Grab ur cell phone and call up the "pretty" you just met and give her hell (your talon not her).

PS: you may need to cut the length of the plastic for a good fit,,,, I'm a old dude and forget some things if I did that or not. I have since went to a r2c and installed a filter minder to keep a eye on restriction,,, so far the air box is squeaky clean. With that recipe I just keep a eye on the filter minder and take my air box off infrequently.
That was a thought I had also. But you never know the filter condition without removing things just to inspect. And if you don't ride a lot or just in clean air locations, it might be fine. But now I can inspect mine while I am opening a beer or reinstalling a flag on my whip.

Reactions: IDIOT and CID
J

jackw13

Oct 28, 2020
peoria , az
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would check mine every 300 miles or so . Rode very rough trails , and high speed. I just clamp slightly tight and never had one fall off. I'm used to cleaning and checking air filters due to riding mx for years. Always worried about dust leaking in from some were. Now I use a r2c filter and a KWT particulate filter. This KWT filter is the same one used by the winner in the stock class . In 1000 miles of desert racing he never changed his stock filter.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok so the Uni has been in my box for 450 miles, 250 of them extremely dusty riding the trails/roads out of Silverton. This is what I found when I opened it up yesterday first time since installing both Uni and R2C cleanable filter.

A3F9DD6C 4038 46AD B068 B013AC44D5F7
B36933F8 49A8 4E2B B6E4 4F75CC87CFA3
308E8BF7 6111 4CD7 BB5E B937BB4E0D7F

Not much dust, cleaned them both and reinstalled. Uni was still tight on the collar.
Grease on the rubber gasket for the cover is really working well too.

I’m satisfied with this clean set up....

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok so the Uni has been in my box for 450 miles, 250 of them extremely dusty riding the trails/roads out of Silverton. This is what I found when I opened it up yesterday first time since installing both Uni and R2C cleanable filter.

View attachment 265109View attachment 265110View attachment 265111
Not much dust, cleaned them both and reinstalled. Uni was still tight on the collar.

I too run the r2c but without a uni,,, be careful how much torque you put on the screws holding the plate down. That seal is a silicone type seal and you could split it apart since it is so soft and rubbery. I use grease on all the seal points and even on the air box cover. Periodically I check the screws just to be safe since I torque them lightly,,,, like a snuggie. I have never found one loose as of yet.

Reactions: Blownzuki
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I too run the r2c but without a uni,,, be careful how much torque you put on the screws holding the plate down. That seal is a silicone type seal and you could split it apart since it is so soft and rubbery. I use grease on all the seal points and even on the air box cover. Periodically I check the screws just to be safe since I torque them lightly,,,, like a snuggie. I have never found one loose as of yet.
10-4 on the screws.
I couldn’t believe the scant amount of dust that made it past the Uni. Uni is the ticket. And the best part, no holes cut in the body and unsightly intake hose sticking out of the SXS....😊👍

M

mgp798

Mar 3, 2021
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4

View attachment 265109View attachment 265110View attachment 265111

Could you tell me what uni part number you are using? thanks

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Could you tell me what uni part number you are using? thanks
I’m not sure mpg, but there is a thread here where that was discussed and part numbers posted which is how I got it a year ago or so. I’ll do a search and see if I can find it, you may want to as well. I’m think it was either in the Talon general discussion or the Talon accessories and modifications forum.

If I find it I’ll post it here for you.....👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Not here to start **** so please take this as intended.
It’s never wrong to voice your opinion here. 😎
I’m running mine that way because it’s served me well for 450 miles while I was getting 200-250 with the honda filter that is $50.00 as you likely know.....and the R2C has kept the clean side of the filter incredibly clean and the UNI caught much of the dust before it. I’ve lost no performance and am pleased with it. As to external UNI’s as many have, I’m not keen on cutting up the body on my Talon and don’t like the aesthetics of it at all. But that doesn’t make it wrong or bad, it’s the same reason that they make chocolate and vanilla....😊😊

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Not here to start **** so please take this as intended.
Why cap a large air filter area by installing a small filter that will easily plug up much faster? No one seems to be taking air volume into account here. Even these "professional intake builders". Plus your UNIs are backwards....more open cell filtering first then finer filtering, not the other way around...it would clog up before the secondary layer is even close to being full...operating incorrectly. Just because Online Joe builds a ready to go kit does not mean they did flow tests. Besides, the idea is to make it more accesible, longer factory filter life(mine seemed to get some wetness in spots making dust into mud), and all the while retaining unrestricted airflow. Your Honda is wearing a heavy mask (COVID pun) with these dinky filters. I got @80 bucks in SPECTRE pieces and another @$90 in the K&N filter and pre-screen. $40 for the diamond plate( this one was a quickie but may just clean up the edges and paint. I wanted the K&N in the straight style but kinda glad i went with the cone.I can clean my filter easily without removing any part of the air box. First ride was yesterday and a good test...strippings and dry out...dust bowl level! LOL I am 100% happy. Gonna make a parts list for anyone looking to build. Aluminum diamond plate is expensive so go to a metal/steel business for stock. Air Filter was at 380 miles...average 60-80 miles per ride, NE riding.

View attachment 265964 View attachment 265965 View attachment 265966 View attachment 265967 View attachment 265968 View attachment 265969 View attachment 265970

Hilarious.

Awesome zinger to talk about airflow and proper design then use expandable hoses with corrugated sides. 😂😂😂

The irony is dripping........

(Even if you don’t know it)

Reactions: Iowamike and PaulF
M

mikenamys

Apr 9, 2021
PENNSYLVANIA
Ownership

1. Talon X
DOOGLE you just hit the nail right on the head, Never understood why people were installing them in the air box, way more advantages to external location. If it is inside the airbox then you still have to pull the rear cover, then pull the airbox cover, then remove all the screws that hold the filter, then remove the filter, then remove the prefilter clean it and reverse the process and because the intake location did not get relocated the system is still being fed a constant diet of filthy air kicked up by the right reat tire. I installed mine externally so that it is in clean air and it litterally takes me 5 minutes to remove and clean. My plan was to just throw in a new OEM filter once a year, but after inspecting my OEM a year later I have decided to wait another year....thats how good it looks. I have helped 2 other Talon owners that I know do the same
AMEN

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!