BOX1

P500 About to put my name on a P520

W

Wiley

Nov 14, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've always liked the size of the small Pioneer for narrow trails and the ability to get through tight places, and Honda's 5-speed geared transmission. I previously had a small MULE 610 (now SX) and loved the size.... not the power or ride though LOL. 3 things have held me back from buying a Pioneer 500.
1) No automatic mode (since incorporated for 2017 on)
2) Rear rack vs bed. I have a rack on my ATV and bed on a UTV and just find tossing stuff in the bed to be more convenient. (incorporated now on P520)
3) No rear differential (same as my ATV) which can be hard on trails and grass in tight turns.

Given that 2 out of the 3 have been addressed I think I'm going to put my name on one of the ones my dealer says will be arriving in January. I've been absorbing what I can about them on this forum which has been very helpful. I don't plan on farkling it out much (for now) but I imagine I'll add a half windshield and 25-26" tires with 1" rear spacers, and maybe a winch. Anyway looking at the 4 available colors I have eliminated camo simply because it comes at a premium, and blue just because for some reason I don't care for it on a UTV. That leaves olive which is more subdued, and of course the bright red. I've been going back and forth between these two and am leaning toward olive.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've always liked the size of the small Pioneer for narrow trails and the ability to get through tight places, and Honda's 5-speed geared transmission. I previously had a small MULE 610 (now SX) and loved the size.... not the power or ride though LOL. 3 things have held me back from buying a Pioneer 500.
1) No automatic mode (since incorporated for 2017 on)
2) Rear rack vs bed. I have a rack on my ATV and bed on a UTV and just find tossing stuff in the bed to be more convenient. (incorporated now on P520)
3) No rear differential (same as my ATV) which can be hard on trails and grass in tight turns.

Given that 2 out of the 3 have been addressed I think I'm going to put my name on one of the ones my dealer says will be arriving in January. I've been absorbing what I can about them on this forum which has been very helpful. I don't plan on farkling it out much (for now) but I imagine I'll add a half windshield and 25-26" tires with 1" rear spacers, and maybe a winch. Anyway looking at the 4 available colors I have eliminated camo simply because it comes at a premium, and blue just because for some reason I don't care for it on a UTV. That leaves olive which is more subdued, and of course the bright red. I've been going back and forth between these two and am leaning toward olive.
Red is the fastest color.
The Green ones go deeper.

Either way you won't go wrong.

That is pretty well the site consensus.

Welcome to the club. Motto: Pics or it didn't happen.
Look forward to seeing your pics when you pick it up in a couple of months.

Also know we never believe anyone that says they are done with mods or accessories. It's nothing personal, just experience.

#NTC

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State :cool:

You will truly enjoy the P520 👍

Like JB said above....pics or it didn't happen (once you pick it up) ;)

#NTC

W

Wiley

Nov 14, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you all for the nice welcome! Things are moving along, I put the Rancher on CL this morning and it appears it is sold already. I decided on olive for the Pioneer so called and let my salesman know. He said he can place the order with Honda in a week and after that he'll get me an ETA. Says he's ordering 20 P520s for stock but they may not get them all at once.
Just wondering have any of you that have bought a new UTV (that knew you wanted different tires) asked the dealer to swap them before delivery? If so did they allow anything for the take-offs? Don't know if this is something occasionally done or if there is even any market for new stock size tires. I'll mention it next time I chat with him.

I know all about never ending accessorizing but on this Pioneer I'm determined to exercise restraint..........at least for a while. :)

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you all for the nice welcome! Things are moving along, I put the Rancher on CL this morning and it appears it is sold already. I decided on olive for the Pioneer so called and let my salesman know. He said he can place the order with Honda in a week and after that he'll get me an ETA. Says he's ordering 20 P520s for stock but they may not get them all at once.
Just wondering have any of you that have bought a new UTV (that knew you wanted different tires) asked the dealer to swap them before delivery? If so did they allow anything for the take-offs? Don't know if this is something occasionally done or if there is even any market for new stock size tires. I'll mention it next time I chat with him.

I know all about never ending accessorizing but on this Pioneer I'm determined to exercise restraint..........at least for a while. :)
Welcome to the p5 green team...:)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It's worth asking your dealer about a tire swap in the deal. You can usually sell new take offs locally. How much? Depends on the market. I bought a set of 4 take off rims and tires with still square edge treads for $100 from a site member. I've seen plenty of people pay more though. Just know up front you will be limited to a local sale. Shipping is quite cost prohibitive for them.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome to the forum @Wiley and be sure to provide detailed pics of the dump mechanicals. Ditto on JBs advice on the tire swap as negotiation, doesn’t hurt to ask. Olive green color fits because its a little tank. On the windshield question a search on that should provide good feedback on options. I have full and half versions and after a few years I prefer the full and just take it off in the summer. Spider web sticks on the front has been a good thing.

W

Wiley

Nov 14, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'll see what they say about the take-offs, if little value I'll put them on CL. From what I can gather here both 25 and 26" in the same width as stock, on stock rims, will fit w/o rubbing and it's still geared low enough with either. Also widening the rear with 1" spacers per side should offset any tippyness from the extra 1" height should I go with 26's.
As far as shields I've been pretty happy with 1/2 ones which I don't have to look through. They give me enough protection without blocking too much wind which I like. On my Mule I generally put it on in Fall then remove it along with the 1/2 doors come Spring. I really like it better w/o doors, shield and roof, it's quieter and gives clean airflow. I think I'm in the minority though because many UTV's running around here have full doors, roof, and full shield, This versatility is what makes them so adaptable.
I think I do want a winch though, I don't have one on the Mule and I probably should have one on one of the two.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome to the forum @Wiley and be sure to provide detailed pics of the dump mechanicals. Ditto on JBs advice on the tire swap as negotiation, doesn’t hurt to ask. Olive green color fits because its a little tank. On the windshield question a search on that should provide good feedback on options. I have full and half versions and after a few years I prefer the full and just take it off in the summer. Spider web sticks on the front has been a good thing.

We just zip tie white fiberglass electric fence sticks vertically on the front bumper to get rid of spider webs.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Welcome from WNC I’m sure the p520 will be a little beast to

Reactions: Backwoods
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I'll see what they say about the take-offs, if little value I'll put them on CL. From what I can gather here both 25 and 26" in the same width as stock, on stock rims, will fit w/o rubbing and it's still geared low enough with either. Also widening the rear with 1" spacers per side should offset any tippyness from the extra 1" height should I go with 26's.
As far as shields I've been pretty happy with 1/2 ones which I don't have to look through. They give me enough protection without blocking too much wind which I like. On my Mule I generally put it on in Fall then remove it along with the 1/2 doors come Spring. I really like it better w/o doors, shield and roof, it's quieter and gives clean airflow. I think I'm in the minority though because many UTV's running around here have full doors, roof, and full shield, This versatility is what makes them so adaptable.
I think I do want a winch though, I don't have one on the Mule and I probably should have one on one of the two.
Let us know when you get it.We'll help ya spend some money on it.LoL

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Red is the fastest color.
The Green ones go deeper.

Either way you won't go wrong.

That is pretty well the site consensus.

Welcome to the club. Motto: Pics or it didn't happen.
Look forward to seeing your pics when you pick it up in a couple of months.

Also know we never believe anyone that says they are done with mods or accessories. It's nothing personal, just experience.

#NTC
Yep, with the exception of Trigger's tank-like rebuild project that must have started during the Truman administration, most of us lie about more mods like we were just on the boat with Capt. Ahab.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500

Welcome from Alabama - Be sure to ask @trigger how that "exercise restraint" worked for him. ;)

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!