BOX1

P500 Accessorry sub harness description

C

Chooglin

Possibly make this a sticky ? If anyone notices something incorrect, please post so it can be fixed.

Honda OEM part number
PART # - 08Z08-HL5-A00

Sub harness on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08Z08-HL5-A00-Pioneer-Accessory-Harness/dp/B00MBVQEKQ?tag=sxsweb24-20

This is where you plug the sub harness into the main wire harness on the Pioneer 500. It is located under the hood near/behind the horizontal cross bar on the frame.

20180929 124437

71wQZ0IjKUL SX425

Winch-Green =1 wire-power only
Screenshot 2018 09 28 09 04 49
Horn-yellow (yellow)=2 wires-hot and ground
Screenshot 2018 09 28 09 05 21
Work light-white=2 wires-hot and ground
Screenshot 2018 09 28 09 05 35
Backup alarm-Red=1 wire-power only
Screenshot 2018 09 28 09 06 56

NOTE:Any accessories hooked to the sub harness, will only have power in the "KEYED ON" position !

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks @Chooglin this is very helpful! As I’m about to plug mine up and get my winch wired up here soon. Another good question I have and maybe others is does it have to be a “horn” or “back up alarm” etc that these pig tales are used for? For example I’m installing a volt meter. My volt meter is digital and has two USB ports on it. Each port is 2.1 volts. The volt meter has two prongs on the back a positive and a negative. So I can just run a hot wire to one of the selected pig tales that have a hot An ground or just a hot An run a ground wire off the negative prong and ground it some where on the machine. I see no reason that wouldn’t work. It doesn’t have to be used for the stated accessories as posted is that correct? Also I understand the subharness is fused from the factor with a 15amp fuse? Thanks for this post is definitely clears things up.

C

Chooglin

Thanks @Chooglin this is very helpful! As I’m about to plug mine up and get my winch wired up here soon. Another good question I have and maybe others is does it have to be a “horn” or “back up alarm” etc that these pig tales are used for? For example I’m installing a volt meter. My volt meter is digital and has two USB ports on it. Each port is 2.1 volts. The volt meter has two prongs on the back a positive and a negative. So I can just run a hot wire to one of the selected pig tales that have a hot An ground or just a hot An run a ground wire off the negative prong and ground it some where on the machine. I see no reason that wouldn’t work. It doesn’t have to be used for the stated accessories as posted is that correct? Also I understand the subharness is fused from the factor with a 15amp fuse? Thanks for this post is definitely clears things up.
Sub harness is fused and yes , you can use them for whatever you would like.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Another question lol. So the harness is fused from the factory with a 15amp fuse. So let’s say your using all 4 pig tales. Would inline fuses be need or certain accessories like a lights for example or could you take the total amps/volt running into the harness and replace the 15amp fuse with a larger fuse to handle the current? That make any sense or am I over thinking it? I’ve never been the best electrician.

Reactions: Chooglin
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Recall no fuse larger than the wire its protecting, so would not change fuse box 15 amp with anything higher. Also a inexpensive voltmeter or circuit tester is a great tool to have to as you move forward, like to find if a wire is constant hot, or hot with key on only. Since you ran a heavy wire for winch, a under hood terminal from that is great for any full time current needs. Might add that several members, me included, have had stripped bolts on OEM fuse box, several posts for fixes on that, be careful when removing it.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Recall no fuse larger than the wire its protecting, so would not change fuse box 15 amp with anything higher. Also a inexpensive voltmeter or circuit tester is a great tool to have to as you move forward, like to find if a wire is constant hot, or hot with key on only. Since you ran a heavy wire for winch, a under hood terminal from that is great for any full time current needs. Might add that several members, me included, have had stripped bolts on OEM fuse box, several posts for fixes on that, be careful when removing it.

I have a circuit tester...hook to a ground and has a light that comes on when a wire is hot. Can you speak more to the terminals under the hood? Is that just like extending the battery wires to a better location More accessible? I know the one time I’ve opened the battery box it’s tight super tight and that battery cover is a pain in the butt to get on an off. And I’ve yet to figure out where I’m putting this circuit breaker for my winch.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Zip tied my circuit breaker to cross frame behind passenger seat near battery with short lenght of same heavy guage wire. Had to enlarge fuse box exit hole.

Single or double junction terminal blocks available, mounted on frame behind Chooglin glove box. Nice to be able to cut power via breaker when adding accessories under hood.

257DB1B0 2631 4964 B2FD DAFBD7749D89 B560DFC1 BE33 418B 954A 992506C4962A

Last edited:
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Zip tied my circuit breaker to cross frame behind passenger seat near battery with short lenght of same heavy guage wire. Had to enlarge fuse box exit hole.

Single or double junction terminal blocks available, mounted on frame behind Chooglin glove box. Nice to be able to cut power via breaker when adding accessories under hood.

View attachment 88653 View attachment 88654

Thanks for the pic. That helps.

Reactions: Chooglin
Kracker

Kracker

Nov 13, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
So the only other add on I have planned now is a light bar.. I have my winch power wired to under hood directly to contactor/soleniod what would I need to split that power? Can it just be jumped off power from contactor with a inline fuse between that and light bar? Not much a wire guy so just asking... or does the power need to be split before contactor?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yes, you got it. If thats all you plan to add and want full time power to the light switch, a separate inline fuse off the incoming hot lug of the contactor sounds best to keep it simple. I just had more stuff and needed open clearance with the junction block. Sounds like you are ready to go riding.
Fyi on battery cover. P500 - Caution on P500 battery cover bolts

Last edited:
Kracker

Kracker

Nov 13, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, you got it. If thats all you plan to add and want full time power to the light switch, a separate inline fuse off the incoming hot lug of the contactor sounds best to keep it simple. I just had more stuff and needed open clearance with the junction block. Sounds like you are ready to go riding.
Thanks just wanted to make sure...

Reactions: BURNDOG
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
@Kracker , @HP5NC , Good read about lighting wiring issues. Good rules of thumb in there about amps and wire guage. Could make for a bad day.
P500 - LED lightbar Question?

Read through that thread! That’s what scares me is a fire! I don’t want my P5 to turn into a Polaris fire hazard! I wish the head lights were brighter! I really just want to add a small led light to the rear. I wonder if anyone has replaced the headlight bulbs with a better bulb?

Kracker

Kracker

Nov 13, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Read through that thread! That’s what scares me is a fire! I don’t want my P5 to turn into a Polaris fire hazard! I wish the head lights were brighter! I really just want to add a small led light to the rear. I wonder if anyone has replaced the headlight bulbs with a better bulb?
From reading on here... insulate and fuse your wires and shouldn’t have a problem... I used to just let dealer install all my stuff on other bikes.. screw that they can’t do any better of a job than you can if you take your time... have never had a fire don’t plan on one, and these guys here give plenty of good info...

Last edited:
Willi

Willi

Oct 25, 2018
Homer NY
Ownership

1. 500
Possibly make this a sticky ? If anyone notices something incorrect, please post so it can be fixed.

Honda OEM part number
PART # - 08Z08-HL5-A00

Sub harness on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08Z08-HL5-A00-Pioneer-Accessory-Harness/dp/B00MBVQEKQ?tag=sxsweb24-20

This is where you plug the sub harness into the main wire harness on the Pioneer 500. It is located under the hood near/behind the horizontal cross bar on the frame.

View attachment 88666

View attachment 88564

View attachment 88565
View attachment 88566
View attachment 88567
View attachment 88569

NOTE:Any accessories hooked to the sub harness, will only have power in the "KEYED ON" position !

Thanks for posting this a few months ago, it’s the exact help I need for my current project.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Honda OEM part number
PART # - 08Z08-HL5-A00

Sub harness on Amazon

View attachment 88666

View attachment 88564

View attachment 88565
View attachment 88566
View attachment 88567
View attachment 88569

Ordered! Thanks @Chooglin

RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have a question regarding this harness. I bought one plugged it in and there is no power when I turn the key on. I checked all the fuses in the fuse panel and they all look good. I checked the 12v outlet when the key was on and it had power!!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have a question regarding this harness. I bought one plugged it in and there is no power when I turn the key on. I checked all the fuses in the fuse panel and they all look good. I checked the 12v outlet when the key was on and it had power!!
Could be a bad harness or perhaps the pins are damaged. Mine worked perfectly!

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Great little add-on,so i decided to buy one today..now i have to get my arse in gear and start buying some accessories..
So is 3 accessories the max we can use with this Sub-Harness.....

20190415 130232

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!