P1000 Added 2nd radiator fan due to over heating

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased my 2016 1000-5 last year, to ride in the mountains of Colorado. The previous owner did some mudding, and added the bumper, winch, lights, and sound system. I replaced his Highlifter Outlaw2 mud tires with Sedona Rip-Saw R/T Radial 28x10-14 since most all of my driving will be on rocky mountain roads and trail with little mud. I leave this machine at our cabin in Pagosa Springs, to utilize each summer.
Before riding, I replaced the oil/transmission fluids and filters, as well as the radiator fluid all with genuine Honda fluids. I also washed the outside of the radiator with coil cleaner, and thought it was in good shape.
My first trip was about 80 miles round trip, from about 8,000' - 11,000' from outside Creede to Silverton. On that trip, I found out that my machine overheats and boils over. Numerous times. 4 bars on the temperature display and even the low oil pressure light came on. I thought that maybe the problem was that I had not tightened the radiator cap enough, and the fluid boiled out. I did tighten the cap a little more, and added water numerous times to the overflow tank. So, I tried to minimize the overheating on the journey back. The engine still runs just fine.
So, I burped the radiator as recommended and filled up the overflow tank with good fluid. I also cleaned the exterior coils again.
The next trail ride I took was from about 7,000'-10,000', and the radiator still overheated (4 bars).
After reading and learning about all the others with this problem, I figured Honda did not adequately design the cooling system. So, I decided to make a modification. The easiest and cheapest modification I could do was to add a 2nd radiator fan, in front of the radiator, and push the air through, to help the factory radiator. I got the fan off Amazon, and had a spare switch on dash to control its relay.
Note that I have a large bumper that blocks a lot of the incoming air.
My next ride I took, I tried to keep the temperature at 2 bars. When the temperature went to 3 bars, I turned on the new fan, and it brought the temperature back down to 2 bars. Even though this ride did not involve much power, I feel I may have resolved my over heating problem. And just so you know, my factory fan does kick on and off as it should.
I will not know this completely works for sure until this coming summer when I get back up to Colorado and try some more difficult trails.
I wanted to pass this information on so if anyone else wants to get rid of their over heating issue, here is another option.
IMG 0146
IMG 0196
IMG 0146
IMG 0106
IMG 0198
IMG 0197

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That bumper is definitely part of the problem. Riding at even a moderate pace, my old RD bumper really blocked the air flow through my radiator. I have my factory fan on a switch to turn it on and leave it on anytime I'm cycle 2-3 bars.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The factory fan is too small and doesnt move enough air. Hopefully the new one works out. Keep us updated on the results.

Reactions: Lady01 and Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMO it’s more that the fan shroud is poorly fitted and doesn’t pull air because of the gaps between it and the radiator.

Some high temp aluminum tape might actually resolve the issue.

Reactions: Lady01
Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I used those ties that went thru the radiator fins, in 4 locations. I needed to open up the pass thru area between the fins just slightly, so the ties would pass thru.
I had to remove my bumper and winch, then remove the plastic clips that hold down the bottom of the grill. The fan was then able to slide up from the bottom, and fit next to front of radiator. Once it was set where I wanted it, I pushed wooden toothpicks thru the openings and into the radiator fins, so I would know which fin area to expand. Then used one of those heavy duty pointed picks to push and widen the fin area where the toothpick was. It was really tight to get to at the top, behind the radiator, so confirm the ties will fit thru and be able to get back side clip on.
Yes, it would been easier with 2 people, but it was only me.
https://amazon.com/Maradyne-M123K-Champion-Reversible-S-Blade/dp/B002Q32NP4?tag=sxsweb24-20
I also noticed the poor fit on the OEM fan shroud. Big gap all around, and was not formed to catch the corners. Bad design. This new fan is flush with the front of the radiator, so the will not be any cooling air leakage.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
C

Clubby9050

Jul 25, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased my 2016 1000-5 last year, to ride in the mountains of Colorado. The previous owner did some mudding, and added the bumper, winch, lights, and sound system. I replaced his Highlifter Outlaw2 mud tires with Sedona Rip-Saw R/T Radial 28x10-14 since most all of my driving will be on rocky mountain roads and trail with little mud. I leave this machine at our cabin in Pagosa Springs, to utilize each summer.
Before riding, I replaced the oil/transmission fluids and filters, as well as the radiator fluid all with genuine Honda fluids. I also washed the outside of the radiator with coil cleaner, and thought it was in good shape.
My first trip was about 80 miles round trip, from about 8,000' - 11,000' from outside Creede to Silverton. On that trip, I found out that my machine overheats and boils over. Numerous times. 4 bars on the temperature display and even the low oil pressure light came on. I thought that maybe the problem was that I had not tightened the radiator cap enough, and the fluid boiled out. I did tighten the cap a little more, and added water numerous times to the overflow tank. So, I tried to minimize the overheating on the journey back. The engine still runs just fine.
So, I burped the radiator as recommended and filled up the overflow tank with good fluid. I also cleaned the exterior coils again.
The next trail ride I took was from about 7,000'-10,000', and the radiator still overheated (4 bars).
After reading and learning about all the others with this problem, I figured Honda did not adequately design the cooling system. So, I decided to make a modification. The easiest and cheapest modification I could do was to add a 2nd radiator fan, in front of the radiator, and push the air through, to help the factory radiator. I got the fan off Amazon, and had a spare switch on dash to control its relay.
My next ride I took, I tried to keep the temperature at 2 bars. When the temperature went to 3 bars, I turned on the new fan, and it brought the temperature back down to 2 bars. Even though this ride did not involve much power, I feel I may have resolved my over heating problem. And just so you know, my factory fan does kick on and off as it should.
I will not know this completely works for sure until this coming summer when I get back up to Colorado and try some more difficult trails.
I wanted to pass this information on so if anyone else wants to get rid of their over heating issue, here is another option.
View attachment 185195View attachment 185194View attachment 185195View attachment 185196View attachment 185197View attachment 185198
Did this seem to help much? I’m ready to try this out and would love some feedback

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Looks like the radiator is still packed with mud, a good cleaning will help considerably, changing to a front bumper that doesn't restrict the air flow will help too.

C

Centralcamp

Nov 12, 2018
Madera
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 185195View attachment 185194View attachment 185195View attachment 185196View attachment 185197View attachment 185198
How's the fan working out? Do you have to remove a the front plastics to install it?

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fan works really good. Did not have to remove front plastic to install it, but did remove bottom plastic rivets to give more room to work.

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was pleased that 95% of the time it kept the temp down. But on very long, steep uphill rides, I would still need to stop to let it cool a couple of times, when it would get to 4 bars.

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I could be part of the problem, I agree. But, when 4 or more 1000’s out of 20 overheat on the same trail in high altitude, then I feel that there is something wrong with the design.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 never gets over two bars, but we don't ride at high altitudes. BTW, Two bars is a really crude measurement. My PV3 shows that two bars comes on at about 160F and stays on all the way to 245F, so that is a pretty inaccurate representation of coolant temps. Here in Arkansas we have high temps and high humidity, but we don't have the altitude; I have only seen 3 bars one time on a rough, uphill trail with the air temp at 100F+.. That high altitude can very likely be a factor, since the air is less dense at 10,000 ft and thus the volume of air moving across the radiator by the fan is reduced by 1/3 or more. On another topic, How do you like the RIPSAW Tires? Can you tell me the actual measured diameter? So many tires run "Small", in other words they say 28" on the sidewall or in the specs, but the might actually measure 26" or 27" when mounted. I want at least a 28" or possibly even a 29" tire. Don't want to go smaller diameter. THANKS!

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also added an inline temperature sensor and digital indication on the dash. It is installed in the feed line to the radiator hose from the engine. What I see is that the fan kicks on about 203° F and shuts off about 195°. That is all at 2 bars. I see 3 bars when temp gets up to about 220°. Max I have seen is 234° and at 4 bars. This indicator was added when the 2nd fan was installed. But, I drove the same trails a year later, and gathered these temperature and bar data points. But, the high temps were dramatically decreased with the new fan.

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love the Rip-Saw tires. Especially on rocks and dirt. I am not sure in sand and mud, as rarely find any in the mountains. FYI, they are not D.O.T. approved for highway use, in case you want to make your machine street legal.
i used them one spring, in the snow, and they did really good. Maybe too good, as they dig in pretty fast. I will find the real diameter and let you know.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!