Added a Talon R LV to group!

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Just picked this up on Wednesday and I am getting it ready to head to Tennessee early in the morning to test it out! It is a used 2021 with 1000 miles in it. It had all the parts you see already on it. Warn winch, front and rear bumpers (not a big fan of bumpers but oh well), tree kickers. Spare tire carrier, mud busters, lighted whip, sound bar, wheels and tires (raceline 15x6 +40 and M1 evils 30"), 3 other sets of tires with 2 sets of wheels, 4 year Honda warranty, rear view mirrors, bed extender, and some other small things. I am not sure yet if I wish the wheels were 15x7 or not. It appears to be in great shape and the guy seemed like a good dude!!
Really looking forward to testing it out. My 16 yo son is moving into my X, 13 yo son into the YXZ, and 8 yo into the Polaris Ace. They are really excited too!! 😎 🤣
Yes the shed is a mess!! To much going on to clean it up right now!)

20210826 144445Received 383868983152739

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just picked this up on Wednesday and I am getting it ready to head to Tennessee early in the morning to test it out! It is a used 2021 with 1000 miles in it. It had all the parts you see already on it. Warn winch, front and rear bumpers (not a big fan of bumpers but oh well), tree kickers. Spare tire carrier, mud busters, lighted whip, sound bar, wheels and tires (raceline 15x6 +40 and M1 evils 30"), 3 other sets of tires with 2 sets of wheels, 4 year Honda warranty, rear view mirrors, bed extender, and some other small things. I am not sure yet if I wish the wheels were 15x7 or not. It appears to be in great shape and the guy seemed like a good dude!!
Really looking forward to testing it out. My 16 yo son is moving into my X, 13 yo son into the YXZ, and 8 yo into the Polaris Ace. They are really excited too!! 😎 🤣

View attachment 291768View attachment 291769
You and frogtown will be like brothers on the overland.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Congrats!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Nice, was that a dealer find or individual?

tman2th

tman2th

Jul 19, 2021
Green River, Wy
Ownership

1. Talon R

Very curious about the tire size and how they handle with the machine. I know without having the original rims and tires you wont have a great baseline, but i would think it would be similar to your other talon. I am trying to figure out what tires and rims to go with and I really like the rims on this. Please let me know how the tires handle with the rig. Nice buggy! congrats!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Very curious about the tire size and how they handle with the machine. I know without having the original rims and tires you wont have a great baseline, but i would think it would be similar to your other talon. I am trying to figure out what tires and rims to go with and I really like the rims on this. Please let me know how the tires handle with the rig. Nice buggy! congrats!
Fairly new to SxSs so my only source of info is the internet, mostly this site. I had seen enough posts wondering if their choice of 32" was too much of a good thing. Since I ride at 7-13k feet, I decided that 30" would be a better choice for me. Due to a very narrow parking spot, I had to pick a narrow trailer and that meant that the Talon's track would be wider than the fenders, by about 3" per side. I made 'fender steps' to handle the weight but the 'step up' is straight up and that's where tire size matters.

I hadn't had any problems until I camped at 10,800 feet, there's no horsepower up there and I had trouble climbing the fenders but that's been the only time. Because of where I need to park for sufficient tongue weight, I can't make the fender steps less steep. This has been one place where the DCT bog becomes an issue (idle at 1500, engagement at 1800, no torque available for a dead stick start)

All that to say - 30" is max for my situation, 32's would be too much for the low engagement rpm to handle.

Fender steps prototype, when these break I'll remake them out of steel but wood's faster to see if the concept and measurements work. Loading from the left -

tman2th

tman2th

Jul 19, 2021
Green River, Wy
Ownership

1. Talon R
Fairly new to SxSs so my only source of info is the internet, mostly this site. I had seen enough posts wondering if their choice of 32" was too much of a good thing. Since I ride at 7-13k feet, I decided that 30" would be a better choice for me. Due to a very narrow parking spot, I had to pick a narrow trailer and that meant that the Talon's track would be wider than the fenders, by about 3" per side. I made 'fender steps' to handle the weight but the 'step up' is straight up and that's where tire size matters.

I hadn't had any problems until I camped at 10,800 feet, there's no horsepower up there and I had trouble climbing the fenders but that's been the only time. Because of where I need to park for sufficient tongue weight, I can't make the fender steps less steep. This has been one place where the DCT bog becomes an issue (idle at 1500, engagement at 1800, no torque available for a dead stick start)

All that to say - 30" is max for my situation, 32's would be too much for the low engagement rpm to handle.

Fender steps prototype, when these break I'll remake them out of steel but wood's faster to see if the concept and measurements work. Loading from the left -
View attachment 292381
That is exactly where I am @ is 6000-13000 ft and very new to the SXS ownership game as well. I am positive I don't want to go any larger than 30's but I am not even sure if I want to go that large. Thanks for the feed back!

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So they are a 30" M1 Evils. My other setup on my X is the 32" Terra Masters. And I have had another setup of MRT Race 30" tires before that. So here is my take as I was pretty excited to try the M1's as they were a tire I have looked at in the past.
I felt like they are overall a good tire. I do not like them as good as I do the Terra Masters. They feel heavier, which I plan to weigh and know for sure soon. They felt like the wheel and tire combo of the 30's were heavier than the 32" Terra Masters. I think they might have done a little better in the mud but they did not handle corners as well. They pushed a little more in the front and slide more in the rear.. The Terra Masters have done really good for me on everything I have put them through. For high altitude weight will play a factor in your equation as well. If I was dead set on getting a 30" tire would really look into getting a 31" Terra Master. They grip and are light. My 32" are really closer to a 31" tire so if the 31" is more like a true 30" then I would go that route and I think you would be happy with that setup. I had no real complaints about the M1's and feel they did a great job this last weekend. A bigger tire would be best for my type of riding here. My MRT's are even lighter yet but super expensive....
Since I was thinking of going with the Terra Masters I could sell you this setup?? ;)
Let me know if I didn't answer your question completely and I will try again!) 🙂

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is exactly where I am @ is 6000-13000 ft and very new to the SXS ownership game as well. I am positive I don't want to go any larger than 30's but I am not even sure if I want to go that large. Thanks for the feed back!
It really depends on how much weight you will be adding to the machine. I live at 5,000 feet and mostly ride in the 5,000 to 12,000 foot range. I have a nearly stock R with 32's and a well equipped R (weighs in at 1950 lbs) with 30's and they perform about the the same. If you have added (or plan to add) a lot of accessories, I would stick to 30's.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!