Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Anybody out there added auto-mode to their 15-16 P500? I searched around a bit and couldn’t find any posts.

I have mine for sale due to too many toys, and I am on the fence about keeping it or not.... if it was a 17 up, I would keep it. Rather sell the wife’s Prowler 500 than the Honda, but that lack of auto annoys her around the yard doing work.

Maybe I just trade them both in on a new P500, and swap my bolt-ons over.... but if a switch and an ECM is all I need to add/swap, might be cheaper to go that route.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Mudder
H

HondaTech

I thought some had done so with the newer ecm and a switch, since all it's doing is grounding the "auto" wire in the ecm. I don't believe the member that did it, used their own switch. You could purchase the Honda switch to make it cleaner.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I did the reverse,I got rid of the auto function all together on my 17 model.It will at least take the 17 model ecm,speedometer pod,and one of these SpeedoDRD.Don't know if the 15-16 wiring harness will support the upgrade.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
I did the reverse,I got rid of the auto function all together on my 17 model.It will at least take the 17 model ecm,speedometer pod,and one of these SpeedoDRD.Don't know if the 15-16 wiring harness will support the upgrade.

thats a start! did the 17 up harness plug into the 15-16 ECM? i can most likely figure it out if the plug is the same. I have a speedoDRD already. speedo doesnt right right anyway after 906UP gear increase.

Why a new instrument cluster? (most likely to display the AT/MT modes id wager.)

H

HondaTech

You wouldn't need the harness I wouldn't think.

Should just be able to locate the pin on the ECM for the auto switch and pin it yourself to a switch that grounds out when "auto" is engaged.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
You wouldn't need the harness I wouldn't think.

Should just be able to locate the pin on the ECM for the auto switch and pin it yourself to a switch that grounds out when "auto" is engaged.
You are correct,the "auto pin" can be located and grounded by switch to engage auto.For what ever reason,there are different signals sent to the speedo pod on the different years.Change the ecm,and you have to change the pod to match.The module and pod both use the same plugs for the different years,So,use a 17 speedo pod,ecm,find the pin on the module that grounds to engage auto mode and ground it through a toggle switch,and set your SpeedoDRD to read 40mph wide open in 5th would do it.I don't remember the pin # that has to be grounded for auto,but it is easy to find by looking at the 17' wiring diagram.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
thats a start! did the 17 up harness plug into the 15-16 ECM? i can most likely figure it out if the plug is the same. I have a speedoDRD already. speedo doesnt right right anyway after 906UP gear increase.

Why a new instrument cluster? (most likely to display the AT/MT modes id wager.)
Can

'There are some different signals sent on different wires with the ECM change.I had to change to make it work.I started with the ECM change,then discovered the pod had to change,then had to add the SpeedoDRD to finally tune it all in.Works as it should now.I changed because I did not like the auto downshift.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!