BOX1

P500 Adding Inferno Heater w/Defrost

D

Deleted member 3748

Thank you PistonHonda! That clarifies any doubts I had. I’d hate to fry something. That heater was expensive!
I put the same heater in my Wolverine. I still need to get my cab sealed up because it struggles when it's below 30 degrees. I may have to block off the radiator too. The heater keeps the engine running too cool.

Reactions: Eltobgi and Willi
D

Deleted member 3748

Thanks again! My confidence level is high now . Do you have any questions on house building I can help YOU with? Just not plumbing or electrical, I subbed that work out. Lol
I do remember one time when we turned a tall attic space above a three car garage into an in-law apartment, that my electrician told us where to run what kind of wire ( ie: 12-3) from where to where and we left pigtails for him to connect at the boxes. Woo woo!
Haha! I'll let you know if anything comes up. I have some more electrical tips for you, but after you get the heater going.

Reactions: Willi
Willi

Willi

Oct 25, 2018
Homer NY
Ownership

1. 500
I put the same heater in my Wolverine. I still need to get my cab sealed up because it struggles when it's below 30 degrees. I may have to block off the radiator too. The heater keeps the engine running too cool.

Like the eighteen wheelers do sometimes! I’ve seen zipper type covers on their radiators.

D

Deleted member 3748

Tnx. Hey, do me a favor and don’t tell anyone I had so many questions... I don’t want to get kicked out of “guy school” lol
LOL You're good. You did an awesome install of a heater!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The P500 is like the old toy Erector set, you can keep on adding to it, limited only by your imagination (and wallet). Heater was a heck of a good addition for an early mod. I’m jealous.

D

Deleted member 3748

There's so much space in the front of the P5. I used mine up with a storage box, but heat would have been a much better idea and an easier install. I installed mine in this...

DSCN8242

Willi

Willi

Oct 25, 2018
Homer NY
Ownership

1. 500
The P500 is like the old toy Erector set, you can keep on adding to it, limited only by your imagination (and wallet). Heater was a heck of a good addition for an early mod. I’m jealous.

Love all my grand kids, 12 of ‘em as of now, 14 by May! Adelina was cold last trip and she LOVED going on the SxS. We have her every couple weekends so... heater it is. I live between two ski centers. I wasn’t cold tho... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3748
MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

If you routed the coolant lines the same as @Willi then you tapped into the hot side and the cold side of the radiator loop. Your engine will still run at normal operating temperature because it is behind the thermostat controlled inner loop.

I ran my coolant loop in series with my heater core getting the hot coolant first then the radiator. This works well but in real frigid temps I blocked my radiator with cardboard and it did make a huge difference.

Sealing the cab is the real winter solution w/ heater. The cab of a p500 isn't sealed well even when you box it all in. My next project is to try to seal all the gaps in the firewall that blow cold air in at speed. Putting around it can get real hot in there. Riding at 20mph or above blows all your heater heat out via the cold air coming in.

Also, @Willi please update on how well your set up works for you.

Willi

Willi

Oct 25, 2018
Homer NY
Ownership

1. 500
If you routed the coolant lines the same as @Willi then you tapped into the hot side and the cold side of the radiator loop. Your engine will still run at normal operating temperature because it is behind the thermostat controlled inner loop.

I ran my coolant loop in series with my heater core getting the hot coolant first then the radiator. This works well but in real frigid temps I blocked my radiator with cardboard and it did make a huge difference.

Sealing the cab is the real winter solution w/ heater. The cab of a p500 isn't sealed well even when you box it all in. My next project is to try to seal all the gaps in the firewall that blow cold air in at speed. Putting around it can get real hot in there. Riding at 20mph or above blows all your heater heat out via the cold air coming in.

I planned on update pics and a report. ;) I remember reading where you mentioned sealing up the cabin tighter. I’ve been making mental notes of spaces/gaps I see, and what I need to pick up to use for sealing.
Thanks!

D

Deleted member 3748

I installed mine exactly the same as @Willi . Thanks for saying that because I was thinking of re-routing it using only the coolant line from the engine. This is my first year with this Yamaha and I'm not sure what temps the engine runs at in the winter. The fan comes on at 207 in the summer, but the engine only gets into the 170s in the winter... so far.

Reactions: Mudder
Willi

Willi

Oct 25, 2018
Homer NY
Ownership

1. 500
Finally got back to the barn to finish the heater. I got my harness in and hooked up the switch for it. Works very well!
First pic, back of switch
Second pic, harness hook up
Third pic, the switch

9384A7DB 0013 4620 B936 99A9ED1C67F1 9634DC8A 959F 4125 84AF 2EA51E801E32 9DFBCA0A 8300 4BF2 BB6E 06339E065201

ToolmanJohn

ToolmanJohn

Mar 20, 2018
Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Finally got back to the barn to finish the heater. I got my harness in and hooked up the switch for it. Works very well!
First pic, back of switch
Second pic, harness hook up
Third pic, the switch

View attachment 100785 View attachment 100786 View attachment 100787
Hey Willi,

I'm considering buying this heater strictly for the defrost function (I have no doors other than the factory ones on my machine): can you tell me if it puts out enough warm/hot air to keep your windshield clear? I'm not worried about ice, just the mist that forms on the inside.
Thanks,
John

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!