P700 Adding second battery question

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Love this forum and thanks in advance for the replies. I am a bit concerned how small the battery is in the 700. My old 92 Polaris ATV battery has more amp hours than the battery in the 700. With the transmission appearing to be so dependent on the battery and I have added a winch, maybe a small light bar soon, I am looking into a truAM second battery kit. The thing is I am not sure I have seen anyone, at least not many, just adding the kit and that being enough. I see nightmare looking images of the whole front compartment of the 700 being loaded up with wiring! Is all of that necessary? It really looks a bit overwhelming when it appears it should be easy to do. I was thinking the hard part would be finding a good location for the second battery but now I am not sure. Was even thinking about just a parallel battery install after seeing some of this stuff! o_O

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Tag. I am also interested in adding a 2nd battery to my P700-2.
Winch, girlfriends seat warmer etc.
It would be peace of mind to have a battery dedicated to starting and machine function or at least extra capacity.
No pull start on these machines.
My Rincon had a pull starter for emergencies.
Wish the pioneer did!!

Reactions: Smitty335
R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
That looks awesome Waggin Tail. Way above my abilities!. I wonder how he wired it all up

Dockman

Dockman

Lifetime Member
Jul 5, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2
I plan to put regular automotive deep cycle in under drivers seat and doing away with factory battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tramguage1
R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was wondering about doing something like that Dockman. I wondered if the charging system would be able to handle something like that. For me that just seems like the easiest thing to do. Wouldn't have to deal with all that extra wiring and parts like you have to do with a second battery kit.

Dockman

Dockman

Lifetime Member
Jul 5, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was wondering about doing something like that Dockman. I wondered if the charging system would be able to handle something like that. For me that just seems like the easiest thing to do. Wouldn't have to deal with all that extra wiring and parts like you have to do with a second battery kit.

I read here somewhere that the charging system on a P700 will work just fine

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I did automotive size battery under drivers seat. Added True isolator and i could runn all my stuff with full confidence.
Its acually really easy on the 700.

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks. I am thinking that is the path I will take also. I would probably get one of the smaller automotive type batteries too. I can also see aluminum angle iron being my friend in some manner. I have looked at aluminum plates and those aren't to expensive. Then take that aluminum angle and just bolt to that plate. You could bolt all the way around the bottom plate and use more in each corner for uprites. More aluminum plate bolted to the uprites for the walls of the box. Obviously I cannot weld so bolting everything together is my only choice. Plus I figure if you go through deeper water it would drain out better than a fully welded enclosed box.

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey tramgauge1 do you have any picture of how you mounted the battery?

B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
When my factory battery goes I'm definitely just going to switch to the one single automotive battery under the seat.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anyone use a plain old battery box like you'd see on a boat?

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Kind of what I was thinking of using but put inside a aluminum box I referred to earlier in this thread. I think as low as it would be mounted on the frame it may open it up to things being kicked up into it such as tree limbs. I think a plastic battery box by itself my not give it enough protection. I am thinking a plastic battery box may give enough protection that I wouldn't have to fully enclose the aluminum "surround" and just give it protection on bottom and in front then using aluminum angle frame to give rigidity to the "box".

Dockman

Dockman

Lifetime Member
Jul 5, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2
I did automotive size battery under drivers seat. Added True isolator and i could runn all my stuff with full confidence.
Its acually really easy on the 700.

Why is isolator needed?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey tramgauge1 do you have any picture of how you mounted the battery?
Let me look back through my phone. That was a couple years back. Give my a few

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Why is isolator needed?

Isolator will protect the factory/ starting battery from a complete voltage drain.
If you leave something on by accident, you can still start the machine.

Reactions: Smitty335
Dockman

Dockman

Lifetime Member
Jul 5, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2
What's your guys thoughts on this as a replacement battery under drivers seat? I would remove the oem battery.
5e91d6f06411b29ae11ae08b51c3a7b2

Reactions: Mudwing
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks. I am thinking that is the path I will take also. I would probably get one of the smaller automotive type batteries too. I can also see aluminum angle iron being my friend in some manner. I have looked at aluminum plates and those aren't to expensive. Then take that aluminum angle and just bolt to that plate. You could bolt all the way around the bottom plate and use more in each corner for uprites. More aluminum plate bolted to the uprites for the walls of the box. Obviously I cannot weld so bolting everything together is my only choice. Plus I figure if you go through deeper water it would drain out better than a fully welded enclosed box.

Did this under the seat of a P5 about 4 yrs ago. Made one for the jack too.

Battery trayBattery and jack

Reactions: Mudwing
R

Runsenough700

Dec 22, 2020
Broward, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Great to see all the variations of a second battery on the 700. Thought I'd post a few pictures of what I did. The first picture is under the hood with a 35C Duracell procured from batteries plus. The power switch in the dash controls the relay for the accessory power when the ignition is off in case I want to run the radio, lights, or gmrs radio. 9c3d78e28bcd922442783a42a0f399c07855deb78b2a350f0d7800ce94ccba60

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!