P1000 Advice: Tire and 4WD issues, told Pioneer is never to be driven on road, invalidates warranty?

A

anovastat

Jun 25, 2020
Overgaard,AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Need some advice from the forum experts here. I purchased a new Honda Pioneer 1000-5. It's been in the shop for 5 of the 8 months I've owned it. Mostly for 4WD and dif lock issues that the dealer has been unable to fix. It has about 1000 miles on it and the tires started wearing rapidly the last 100 miles on our last ride to the point where the front tires are probably 90% worn in spots. I initially thought it was faulty tires but was recently told by the dealer the vehicle had a faulty neutral indicator and wasn't displaying the engagement of 4WD or diff lock correctly. I think this may have also been a cause of the excessive tire wear.

I called Honda and asked for a replacement under warranty for the tires. However, here's what I was told by both the dealer and Honda: That the Honda Pioneer is not meant to be driven on pavement at all. Has anyone heard this? According to them the Pioneer is an off road only vehicle and, because I drove it at all on the pavement to get to the dirt trails I've invalidated the warranty on the tires. On road use on it would only be a small fraction of the total miles on my Pioneer but they are saying that any miles on pavement invalidates the warranty for this issue.

I've filed a Better Business Complaint and gone to their Facebook and Twitter pages, but has anyone heard this from Honda? Anyone know an executive complaint line to address this, completely BS, response from Honda? I opened a case on Honda's website but this was the response I was given so not sure where to proceed next. They are also not responding to my Facebook or Twitter complaints.

I've talked to other Pioneer owners in my area and checked the forum and found that most are getting 4-5000 miles from these tires so something is off here.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks,

Luke

Reactions: Mudder
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The tires are the least of your worries, being in the shop for 5 of 8 months could qualify for a Lemon Law replacement. But that lawsuit could suck the life out of you, get it fixed and get on with your life.

H

HondaTech

The tires do say Not For Highway use on the sidewall.

The placard on the dash also says not to operate on public roads. Since they know the machine has been used on road they cant validate the actual mileage used on pavement and have been given an excuse to not replace the tires.

If you purchased the base model 5 seater then those tires suck and will not last on pavement at all. But then again neither will any offroad tire.

The 4wd not indicating on the dash wouldn't have caused undue wear on the tires. Tires are considered a wear item anyway. Unless the tire failed my coming apart or blowing out a sidewall, you won't get anyone to over tires.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To add to what has already been said, the front alignment from the factory has been well documented to have excessive toe out. Okay for off road, but the minute you hit the pavement the fronts melt like butter.

A

anovastat

Jun 25, 2020
Overgaard,AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To clarify, I think there's more than just a neutral indictor going out. I'd find the vehicle in 4WD when set to turf mode and it would constantly drop out of 4WD into turf mode. Being in 4WD, and not knowing it, could cause excessive wear at the wrong times which I wondered if may be a better claim to make.

The front tires are completely worn down at 1000 miles. The back tires are better only moderately beyond normal wear, in my opinion. Neither my dealer nor Honda asked how much pavement miles I've driven on it. When I pointed that out they said any miles, even a single mile on pavement, would be enough to invalidate the tire warranty. I thought that was unfair and not representative of the use of a typical SXS owner or their advertisements of the vehicles capabilities. I think a lot of SXS owners would be surprised to know that, as far as tires go at least, any pavement driven on a Honda Pioneer apparently immediately voids any claims on the tires.

Again, how is this being measured? I've made no statements about the number miles driven on pavement just a "yes I did do it on pavement" which is true. Just seems like Honda isn't able to measure this and it's an automatic denial based on no evidence. Just seems unfair and not right to me considering the investment. My dirt bike has none of these issues and can do pavement and dirt...

Based on this wear I'm going to need new front tires yearly...would have been nice to know when I bought it.

Reactions: Mudder
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Never knew there was much of a warranty on tires anyway being a wear item.
Definitely not a tire with 1000 miles on them.
If there was a major issue with the tire, it should have been brought up before the first service.

Not saying you shouldn't have gotten 1000 miles...
But I am surprised you got 1000 miles on a factory 4ply bighorn without any major flats.

My suggestion is to adjust the toe and buy a tire with a harder compound.
Next, fix the 4x4 sensor/cable adjustment so it's working correctly.
Then fix the turf/2x4/park cables and sensor.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Buy some SATV A-Arms. They have adjustable camber and toe in. I have them on my 1000-3 and am running 15" truck tires. I had the front end machine aligned and tires machine balanced and they are wearing perfectly. I have about 5000 miles on them, with most of those miles on pavement (street legal) with no issues.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah doubt you would get any tire warranty other then manufacture defect issues. Sounds like your cables just need adjusting.

A

anovastat

Jun 25, 2020
Overgaard,AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies and info provided. I’m going to work on some adjustments and new tires and just move on. I like the idea of truck tires and will explore that option too.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, go with a DOT tire that is designed like an all-terrain truck tire, and definitely get your front end to toe in just about 3/16", I believe, is good.

The stock tire is really soft and gets eaten up on pavement.

I have about 4 miles of pavement to get to our trails, riding on Maxxis Liberties it does just fine.

Regarding the shifting, it shouldn't take that dealership this multuple visits and time to get that right.

A

anovastat

Jun 25, 2020
Overgaard,AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post pics of the worn tires

Here's a photo of the tires just before getting them to the dealer.
File 002
File 003
File 004

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never knew there was much of a warranty on tires anyway being a wear item.
Definitely not a tire with 1000 miles on them.
If there was a major issue with the tire, it should have been brought up before the first service.

Not saying you shouldn't have gotten 1000 miles...
But I am surprised you got 1000 miles on a factory 4ply bighorn without any major flats.

My suggestion is to adjust the toe and buy a tire with a harder compound.
Next, fix the 4x4 sensor/cable adjustment so it's working correctly.
Then fix the turf/2x4/park cables and sensor.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and maybe find a dealer that will take better care of their customers.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
😳😳😬😬 you actually bought more?

I didn’t mind my base model tires...they were pretty decent for most of what I do.

I still have them..the rears are in good shape, fronts are scrubbed pretty hard as I waited too long before correcting the toe out.

They definitely ride softer than the deluxe rim and tire factory takeoffs I replaced them with!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!