BOX1

Air Filter Concern On 2020 Talon 1000X-4 FL

Steve-O-Utah

Steve-O-Utah

Jul 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Approximately 250 miles on this new air filter. Have probably only had two minor stream crossings. Filter is terribly dirty and is moist. Almost feels oily. Had this same issue with the last filter.

Is this moist/oily issue normal?

Highly frustrated and looking for help. Please look at pictures and advise. Thanks for your time.

20201022 184407
20201022 184524

Reactions: TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's normal for a stock Talon - check out the link in my sig and it'll set you free thanks to HondaBob's snorkel idea. I have 1553 miles on my original filter and it looks brand new because I got the snorkel and prefilter done before my first ride.

Where in Utah, my favorite state in the Union? :cool:

Reactions: Tedbell52
H

HondaTech

The air filters is supposed to be some form of oiled paper element. Thats why they tell you to not clean it with compressed air.

Steve-O-Utah

Steve-O-Utah

Jul 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
That's normal for a stock Talon - check out the link in my sig and it'll set you free thanks to HondaBob's snorkel idea. I have 1553 miles on my original filter and it looks brand new because I got the snorkel and prefilter done before my first ride.

Where in Utah, my favorite state in the Union? :cool:
Salt Lake Metro. Have lived here my whole life and have ridden 4 wheelers for years. Bough the Talon 3 months ago and have put 800 miles on it already. Have seen more area this summer than my whole life. So many places to ride.

Not finding a signature for you. Can you paste that link in, or point me to what I might be doing wrong to find it?

Thanks so much for your help.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The air filters is supposed to be some form of oiled paper element. That's why they tell you to not clean it with compressed air.
What he said. :)

fwiw - this filter has 1137 miles on it.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Salt Lake Metro. Have lived here my whole life and have ridden 4 wheelers for years. Bough the Talon 3 months ago and have put 800 miles on it already. Have seen more area this summer than my whole life. So many places to ride.

Not finding a signature for you. Can you paste that link in, or point me to what I might be doing wrong to find it?

Thanks so much for your help.
Hmmm, not sure why you can't see my sig? 🤔 Can you see anyone's?

Like you, I bought my Talon in February and have seen more of Colorado in those 8 months than all the decades before.

Reactions: TripleB
Steve-O-Utah

Steve-O-Utah

Jul 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hmmm, not sure why you can't see my sig? 🤔 Can you see anyone's?

Like you, I bought my Talon in February and have seen more of Colorado in those 8 months than all the decades before.

Maybe the mobile version vs. PC. Thanks for the link. Love this site and how helpful people are. Go Colorado. Just as beautiful, but everything is backwards!

Reactions: TripleB and CID
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Honda intake is a horrible setup. The cheapest fix is a snorkel with a filter on top. The better fix is a pre-filter like KWT or S&B. I went with the KWT, here is my review with 1400 miles on the filter. I ride dusty desert and mountain conditions.

Moab_Marty

Moab_Marty

Jul 12, 2019
Moab + Western CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
My experience with the air filter was the same as most when driving the stock intake. I bit the bullet early on and installed the S&B. I ride mostly in the dusty mountains of Colorado and the dusty desert of South East Utah.

Initial filters at changed at initial service at 150 then at 900 miles were awfully filthy.

After installing S&B I ran the filter for over 1,500 miles before I checked it ( see bottom photos) .

Seems pretty clean for that many miles ( see sticky notes on photos ) I included Air Box photos before and after too.
Will probably run the 1,500 mile filter another 500 miles.

20200505 170508
20200505 170833
20200505 182756
20201008 132312
20201008 132753

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My experience with the air filter was the same as most when driving the stock intake. I bit the bullet early on and installed the S&B. I ride mostly in the dusty mountains of Colorado and the dusty desert of South East Utah.

Initial filters at changed at initial service at 150 then at 900 miles were awfully filthy.

After installing S&B I ran the filter for over 1,500 miles before I checked it ( see bottom photos) .

Seems pretty clean for that many miles ( see sticky notes on photos ) I included Air Box photos before and after too.
Will probably run the 1,500 mile filter another 500 miles.

View attachment 231951View attachment 231952View attachment 231953View attachment 231956View attachment 231957
Do you have any pics of the S&B apart for cleaning? (if that's how you clean them)

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you have any pics of the S&B apart for cleaning? (if that's how you clean them)
You don't clean them, they are self cleaning and very little maintenance. They have a scavenging fan that removes all the dirt out the back.

Reactions: CID
RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Particle separator is a must!!!

Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Approximately 250 miles on this new air filter. Have probably only had two minor stream crossings. Filter is terribly dirty and is moist. Almost feels oily. Had this same issue with the last filter.

Is this moist/oily issue normal?

Highly frustrated and looking for help. Please look at pictures and advise. Thanks for your time.

View attachment 231387View attachment 231388
The Hondabob idea is similar to what I went with. About $70 and a little work, and this problem is resolved.

Reactions: CID

79xs

Aug 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does anyone lose sleep over one of the air filter bolts coming loose?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anyone lose sleep over one of the air filter bolts coming loose?
Yes. That and the gaskets are the reasons I installed an S&B and after 2000 miles with the filter still like new,, i put locktite on the bolts and now use a scope through the drain hole to inspect the filter at each 600 mile service.

With the S&B, I am most certain my filter will last between 10K and 20K miles, not 250 like my first one. S&B pays for itself on a Talon.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Donaldson filterminder is $30. I for one dont believe i can accurately judge a filters condition by looking at it. I have done the uni prefilter, and have put over 8000 miles on the honda filter since then in the Arizona, Utah,Idaho dust and things still work. The s&b looks good, but i cant see spending that kind of money to protect a $50 filter. 13,500 miles total and i bought a lot of filters before the uni. Wish i had done a donaldson top spin instead of the uni, but this works well and its in place now

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Donaldson filterminder is $30. I for one dont believe i can accurately judge a filters condition by looking at it. I have done the uni prefilter, and have put over 8000 miles on the honda filter since then in the Arizona, Utah,Idaho dust and things still work. The s&b looks good, but i cant see spending that kind of money to protect a $50 filter. 13,500 miles total and i bought a lot of filters before the uni. Wish i had done a donaldson top spin instead of the uni, but this works well and its in place now
You are correct about visual inspection. Honda told my dealer that most of us change our filters WAY too often because they "look" dirty and the Talon (and Pioneer) filter hold much more dirt than most believe. I thought about the filterminder but after 2,000 miles with the S&B and no color change on the filter, it seems pointless. The filter will never get enough dirt on it to trigger a filterminder. I will just change the filter at 20K, whether it needs it or not.

I did not purchase the S&B at first. Believe me, I didn't want to spend the money. I tried an internal filter first but the constant removing of the lid and filter just seemed dangerous to me after seeing engine failures from gasket issues and bolts finding their way into the engine. I wanted a solution that left the stock filter alone as long as possible so I went to an external pre-filter and it worked great when trail riding. However, one day is all it took at the dunes where you run WOT all day long to learn otherwise. The thing drove me insane and me and my passenger for the day had to get ear protection after the first outing. The intake noise at WOT isn't extremely loud but the drone just gets to you after a short while when you are on the throttle like at the dunes.

And I look at the investment a little differently. I didn't buy the S&B to protect a $50 filter, I installed it to protect my hearing/sanity and a $10,000 engine.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
edit: Paul and I were typing at the same time. The gear whine in the Talon is painful to me so I'm wearing ear plugs all the time, even have a jar of them in the cup holder so I can't forget them. Even with my helmet on the gear whine is painful and will cause long term hearing damage.

Yes. That and the gaskets are the reasons I installed an S&B and after 2000 miles with the filter still like new,, I put locktite on the bolts and now use a scope through the drain hole to inspect the filter at each 600 mile service.

With the S&B, I am most certain my filter will last between 10K and 20K miles, not 250 like my first one. S&B pays for itself on a Talon.
FWIW: It's important for everyone to know that Locktite kills some plastics, they'll crystalize. So anytime you're using it, make sure it doesn't touch any plastic.
The only thing I dislike about the Uni/snorkel is cleaning the thing - I oil mine heavily, since that's what makes them work, and they're a goopy mess when it's time for cleaning. Yes, I squeeze them out as hard as I can but the plastic end makes it impossible in that area. You'd think after 50 years of dirt bikes I'd be used to it but I'm not. Having a spare filter so I can clean it when I'm in the mood helps and changes take less than 5 minutes.

I'll do the first filter check at 2000 miles on my new Talon. Yep, 2000 miles. :)

My original filter at 1137 miles, all of them with the Uni prefilter on a snorkel behind the passenger's seat.

The Uni at 1066 and its first cleaning - :eek: Many guys clean a foam filter long before it's needed - it doesn't have to pass the white glove test, all it has to do is flow air and their design allows them to work when they're filthy. This thing is bright red underneath.

Last edited:
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You are correct about visual inspection. Honda told my dealer that most of us change our filters WAY too often because they "look" dirty and the Talon (and Pioneer) filter hold much more dirt than most believe. I thought about the filterminder but after 2,000 miles with the S&B and no color change on the filter, it seems pointless. The filter will never get enough dirt on it to trigger a filterminder. I will just change the filter at 20K, whether it needs it or not.

I did not purchase the S&B at first. Believe me, I didn't want to spend the money. I tried an internal filter first but the constant removing of the lid and filter just seemed dangerous to me after seeing engine failures from gasket issues and bolts finding their way into the engine. I wanted a solution that left the stock filter alone as long as possible so I went to an external pre-filter and it worked great when trail riding. However, one day is all it took at the dunes where you run WOT all day long to learn otherwise. The thing drove me insane and me and my passenger for the day had to get ear protection after the first outing. The intake noise at WOT isn't extremely loud but the drone just gets to you after a short while when you are on the throttle like at the dunes.

And I look at the investment a little differently. I didn't buy the S&B to protect a $50 filter, I installed it to protect my hearing/sanity and a $10,000 engine.
Hearing/sanity is priceless. Unfortunately, my hearing is long gone and my sanity - oh, nevermind

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
FWIW: It's important for everyone to know that Locktite kills some plastics, they'll crystalize. So anytime you're using it, make sure it doesn't touch any plastic.
Yup, forgot to mention that. I put 1 tiny amount of Purple 222 on the end of the bolt. Don't use green, blue or red, they are too hard to get apart and may pull the metal nuts out of the filter housing.

The only thing I dislike about the Uni/snorkel is cleaning the thing
This part alone makes the S&B worth it to me, all I do is ride and never clean or empty anything. The S&B is literally no maintenance, unlike the other solutions out there but you have to pay to play. Even the other particle separator on the market requires constant cleaning and mantnenece. If you don't empty the KWT, it stops working. And by looking at the pics and reviews, the KWT appears to work about half as good as the S&B and costs almost the same.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!