Air Filter Concern On 2020 Talon 1000X-4 FL

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Cid, i wish i had investigated the topspin precleaner before i did the uni, but i own the uni now and it works. I did the filterminder and do not intend to open the air box until it indicates a bad filter because of the possibility of contamination. I dont believe the topspin would be as efficient as the uni, but i believe i could still get 5000-7000 miles out of the honda filter.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yup, forgot to mention that. I put 1 tiny amount of Purple 222 on the end of the bolt. Don't use green, blue or red, they are too hard to get apart and may pull the metal nuts out of the filter housing.

This part alone makes the S&B worth it to me, all I do is ride and never clean or empty anything. The S&B is literally no maintenance, unlike the other solutions out there but you have to pay to play. Even the other particle separator on the market requires constant cleaning and maintenece. If you don't empty the KWT, it stops working. And by looking at the pics and reviews, the KWT appears to work about half as good as the S&B and costs almost the same.
Do you have a photo handy of yours mounted? Never having to clean the thing got my attention. Am I correct that it comes out the small side grate by the passenger seat?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think those Uni Filters you guys are running are to small for the application. That filter sliced up the side and laid out flat is nowhere near the size of a stock Talon filter in area. Obviously it works, but does it clog faster because its filtering twice the air it should be? Is it restricting intake air flow and killing a bit of power. Im going with yes on both accounts.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you have a photo handy of yours mounted? Never having to clean the thing got my attention. Am I correct that it comes out the small side grate by the passenger seat?
Not in it's current location/configuration, I will post some later today.

I originally had it on the roof but have since made some custom brackets and moved it down behind the rear window when I replace my stock roof with an aluminum one. It does enter the passenger side "grill" but I made my own hard plumbing out of 3.5" vinyl wrapped aluminum and silicone elbows reduced to 3" at the grate and into the stock air box (hated the dryer vent tubing) because the Honda one was not out yet when I bought mine.

And, you don't need all the fancy Honda wiring crap to install it if you know how to wire a simple relay. I even used a second relay and a diode to make it come on after the starter is engaged so it doesn't come on when you only turn the ignition on.

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Pardon the dirt, I got lazy after my Moab trip.

The Honda one is probably worth the extra $50 for the part that goes through the grate in the fender. You need bigger clamp bands to mount it high. If it was available when I got mine, I may have purchased it instead but I still hate that dryer vent look :)

And yes, you can mount it behind a back window as long as you leave a little gap...

20201029 112647

20201029 112654

Custom made mounting through the window (S&B also sells spacers)...
20201029 112710

45 degree 3.5" to 3" reducing elbow through a hole drilled in the grate with a hole saw...
20201029 112632

Removed the stock snorkel and put a 45 degree 3" aluminum pipe to connect to the air box...
20191109 233059

The Honda version is similar. You remove the snorkel and the grate and replace them with a tube and a filler plate.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Pardon the dirt, I got lazy after my Moab trip.

The Honda one is probably worth the extra $50 for the part that goes through the grate in the fender. You need bigger clamp bands to mount it high. If it was available when I got mine, I may have purchased it instead but I still hate that dryer vent look :)

And yes, you can mount it behind a back window as long as you leave a little gap...

View attachment 232451

View attachment 232453

Custom made mounting through the window (S&B also sells spacers)...
View attachment 232454

45 degree 3.5" to 3" reducing elbow through a hole drilled in the grate with a hole saw...
View attachment 232452

Removed the stock snorkel and put a 45 degree 3" aluminum pipe to connect to the air box...
View attachment 232455

The Honda version is similar. You remove the snorkel and the grate and replace them with a tube and a filler plate.
Thank you. 👍

Answers beget questions. Stock roof? I ask because of the split in the center of the two vents. Did you add the deflectors to direct air to the S&B intake? If not a stock roof, are what looks like side gutters full length (first photo, left side)? Reason - I really like the front gutter on the stock Talon roof, every time I see a replacement roof I have to think 'yeah, wet lap anytime it rains'. One of my first rides was in a day long drizzle, the front gutter kept a LOT of water off my lap/legs. Oh, I got wet anyways but it was only what could get in the left front corner for the most part (gutter run off).

I don't set out to ride in the rain but I don't want to stay home because of it. Most of our rains come in the form of local thundershowers, not regional rains.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you. 👍

Answers beget questions. Stock roof? I ask because of the split in the center of the two vents. Did you add the deflectors to direct air to the S&B intake? If not a stock roof, are what looks like side gutters full length (first photo, left side)? Reason - I really like the front gutter on the stock Talon roof, every time I see a replacement roof I have to think 'yeah, wet lap anytime it rains'. One of my first rides was in a day long drizzle, the front gutter kept a LOT of water off my lap/legs. Oh, I got wet anyways but it was only what could get in the left front corner for the most part (gutter run off).

I don't set out to ride in the rain but I don't want to stay home because of it. Most of our rains come in the form of local thundershowers, not regional rains.
Not a stock roof. It is a Tusk Aluminum Roof from Rocky Mountain. I wanted to run the short 1/4 wave radio antenna and it requires a ground plane (a.k.a. metal roof). No gutters like all the other aluminum roofs. The "wings" are designed to create pressure in the cab and reduce dust. Don't know if it works as I installed it and the back window together...

Reactions: Hometeam and CID
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Not a stock roof. It is a Tusk Aluminum Roof from Rocky Mountain. I wanted to run the short 1/4 wave radio antenna and it requires a ground plane (a.k.a. metal roof). No gutters like all the other aluminum roofs. The "wings" are designed to create pressure in the cab and reduce dust. Don't know if it works as I installed it and the back window together...

I like that roof a lot! Not to change the thread but I am curious if it helps with the back draft? There is another guy with a bigger spoiler on his Talon and he claims is it basically stops the dust from coming in due to the back draft! His is a little big for where I ride in the trees but this seems like a great size overall!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I like that roof a lot! Not to change the thread but I am curious if it helps with the back draft? There is another guy with a bigger spoiler on his Talon and he claims is it basically stops the dust from coming in due to the back draft! His is a little big for where I ride in the trees but this seems like a great size overall!
It claims that it does but I don't know. I installed the roof and rear window and insulated the rear firewall and plugged the upper seatbelt holes all at the same time. I now have very little dust in the cab but not sure what reduced it. Probably a little of everything.

Reactions: Smitty335
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
It claims that it does but I don't know. I installed the roof and rear window and insulated the rear firewall and plugged the upper seatbelt holes all at the same time. I now have very little dust in the cab but not sure what reduced it. Probably a little of everything.

Yep probably a little help from all of it! Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!