Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I ride on a lot of dusty roads. How ofter should I change the air filter? And is a stock one good enough? Or should I buy a better kind?
I check mine often I keep a clean one on hand. I prefer the OEM air filters and PJ1 spray oil.

Reactions: Mudwing
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
OEM is Honda engineered, why change! Clean the airbox and change as necessary.

Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
I heard the K&N filter lets too much dirt. Is this true?
I always run them in my Harley and they work great.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think I will go with the Honda filter. The K&N works great on the Harley, but I don’t ride the Harley on dirt roads
The other thing is the k&n doesn't filter the crankcase breather like stock, so that would need to be dealt with, but yes, stocker is hard to beat for max protection.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Put a snorkel on it. Mine barely even gets dirty went 5 yrs before the first change and my old one was still good we actually tossed it in my buddies ride that he didnt have snorkeled. His was toast fell apart when we tried to clean it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
K&N is a terrible filter, particularly on a dirt machine. There are several filter comparisons on the internet and K&N rarely finishes above the bottom third of those tested. The magic of K&N is the marketing that's convinced so many people that they're a good filter, that's FAR from the truth. Hold a light inside a K&N, you can see through them in places, tiny pinholes of light.

W

wataboy

Dec 22, 2016
SoGA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Put a snorkel on it. Mine barely even gets dirty went 5 yrs before the first change and my old one was still good we actually tossed it in my buddies ride that he didnt have snorkeled. His was toast fell apart when we tried to clean it.

^^This.

I've never had an OHV filter get as dirty as fast as my 700-4. Poorly located air inlet by Honda. I don't mud mine but snorkeled it for just this reason. I check it regularly and still looks great after many many miles.

Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4

Where did you get the snorkel? And does it restrict the airflow any?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Where did you get the snorkel? And does it restrict the airflow any?
I built mine about 2 yrs before they started making them but a quick search will probably show warrior riser brand or something like that. I went with 2 inch . At higher rpms i can tell a small difference with stock spark arrestor but after using aftermarket arrestor i cant really tell anymore untill i get about 5mph from top speed which i barely ever do. Although i was going to try 2.5 but there just isnt the room down below to go all the way to airbox with 2.5 it would end up on the engine with the 45s and 90s. However if you cut your stock intake up top right as it starts to go parallel with the ground you can fit a pipe there with rubber 2 inch or 2x 2.5 inch coupling then run 2 or 2.5 inch out from there but youll have to go forward between the seatbelt and seat on passenger side. I used a few 45s and 90s along with 22.5 to get the angle just right so it didnt interfere with passenger

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Seems like a lot of bother to keep an air cleaner from getting dirty
Its really not. From scratch took me like 2 hrs with no template to go by and a hacksaw. Its well worth the cost especially if your on dusty roads or trails all the time. 40 bucks give or take and 1 hr or so will make your airfilter last exponentially longer

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does the 700 have a pleated paper or oiled foam element? If paper, a snorkel with an oiled foam prefilter is well worth the effort. The Talon filters are pleated paper and good for 200-300 miles @ ~$40 each. :oops: @ 300 miles, I'd have used up 5 filters now, so $200. :eek:

Instead, my filter looks like this, last checked and photo'd at 1137 miles. I might never have to replace it. :)
I 2fqCwcL M

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does the 700 have a pleated paper or oiled foam element? If paper, a snorkel with an oiled foam prefilter is well worth the effort. The Talon filters are pleated paper and good for 200-300 miles @ ~$40 each. :oops: @ 300 miles, I'd have used up 5 filters now, so $200. :eek:

Instead, my filter looks like this, last checked and photo'd at 1137 miles. I might never have to replace it. :)
View attachment 218291
It's oiled foam.

Reactions: CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!