Talon Alba Racing Dyno testing Talon 1000R

A

ALBANATE

Jun 18, 2018
San Diego
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey guys and gals! We got our shop Talon R for R/D and product development. Like usual we start off with some baseline dyno pulls. Thought I would share the video. This car sounds sweet with its DCT tranny banging gears! Baseline dyno numbers where 85.8RWHP. That is HP to the ground. Stay tuned for the next step testing intake and exhaust mods!

Nate
Alba Racing

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys and gals! We got our shop Talon R for R/D and product development. Like usual we start off with some baseline dyno pulls. Thought I would share the video. This car sounds sweet with its DCT tranny banging gears! Baseline dyno numbers where 85.8RWHP. That is HP to the ground. Stay tuned for the next step testing intake and exhaust mods!

Nate
Alba Racing
Any idea what a 1000xp and yxz put down stock?

Reactions: TimG and sharp
A

ALBANATE

Jun 18, 2018
San Diego
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Honda is currently the only SxS manufacturer with individual speed sensors for the front. As far as comparative HP we have dynoed and tuned just about everything out there.... on the same dyno here is what we see:

YXZ1000R/SS- 80-82RWHP
RZR XP1000- 82-84RWHP
Wildcat 1000XX- 101RWHP

Nate
Alba Racing

T

TalonRRR

Mar 11, 2019
PA
Honda is currently the only SxS manufacturer with individual speed sensors for the front. As far as comparative HP we have dynoed and tuned just about everything out there.... on the same dyno here is what we see:

YXZ1000R/SS- 80-82RWHP
RZR XP1000- 82-84RWHP
Wildcat 1000XX- 101RWHP

Nate
Alba Racing

Great, thanks. Any guesstimate on how much WHP was lost by having it in 4wd even with the tires off?

Reactions: TimG and sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

YXZ1000R/SS- 80-82RWHP
RZR XP1000- 82-84RWHP
Wildcat 1000XX- 101RWHP

Nate
Alba Racing
had heard 79 from the rzr xp1k, better when information comes direct from the source, glad you cleared that up. interested as well if power is loss by being in 4wd

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@ALBANATE its good to see testing going on already, being a sport we kinda figured this was going to happen. Obviously early in development but can you say anything about expected goals?
Also now that Talon is under development do you think there might be some future consideration towards the Pioneer 1000 since they are somewhat related?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@ALBANATE thank you guys for joining the forum. I appreciate the real world data that you guys are displaying. Not sure you will find a better place than this forum to see what really happens with these machines.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just need to add the turbo and see what it does.
Talon Turbo Kit

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I’m a fan of the CVT for the weight savings, cost to produce and simplicity but one downside that I haven’t seen mentioned yet is power degradation. Useful life and maintenance time and cost are others for those that put on miles. The power to the track on the Dyno run may be a “best case” scenario. In real life the CVT loses power and efficiency for several reasons: Belt Wear; Heat; Clutch Wear and Dirty clutches. I’ve run CVT’s in Snowmobiles since the 80’s and more recently in several SXS’s. I hate the constant cleaning and maintenance required. I’m looking forward to the DCT’s more consistent power delivery and the slow speed ability to rock crawl without concern over burning a belt. Less important the DCT won’t release going downhill (free wheeling) as it does on most CVT’s. Honda has a winner IMO!

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I’m a fan of the CVT for the weight savings, cost to produce and simplicity but one downside that I haven’t seen mentioned yet is power degradation. Useful life and maintenance time and cost are others for those that put on miles. The power to the track on the Dyno run may be a “best case” scenario. In real life the CVT loses power and efficiency for several reasons: Belt Wear; Heat; Clutch Wear and Dirty clutches. I’ve run CVT’s in Snowmobiles since the 80’s and more recently in several SXS’s. I hate the constant cleaning and maintenance required. I’m looking forward to the DCT’s more consistent power delivery and the slow speed ability to rock crawl without concern over burning a belt. Less important the DCT won’t release going downhill (free wheeling) as it does on most CVT’s. Honda has a winner IMO!
I'm sure you are aware of the differences that the Yamaha cvt has.

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm sure you are aware of the differences that the Yamaha cvt has.
Not really, I wasn’t even aware that Yamaha used a CVT. Guess I was thinking about machines in the Talon segment. The market leader is Polaris and my experience is primarily with that brand and to a lesser extent Arctic Cat-Textron. Several Polaris CVT’s vary. For a low HP, non performance model the CVT is probably great for most people.
I really don’t consider Yamaha much of a threat in the SXS performance market although they are a player. My comment wasn’t intended for all CVT’s but should have been more clear.

Reactions: sharp
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not really, I wasn’t even aware that Yamaha used a CVT. Guess I was thinking about machines in the Talon segment. The market leader is Polaris and my experience is primarily with that brand and to a lesser extent Arctic Cat-Textron. Several Polaris CVT’s vary. For a low HP, non performance model the CVT is probably great for most people.
I really don’t consider Yamaha much of a threat in the SXS performance market although they are a player. My comment wasn’t intended for all CVT’s but should have been more clear.
You do know that the YXZ is the closest thing to Talon although not using a cvt. The Textron XX uses the same engine coupled with a cvt.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!