Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is cool... with the pioneer 1000 as kind of a hybrid machine, I think we’ll start seeing more side by sides in the overlanding world. It’s my favorite type of riding!
So are you thinking of this thread as overlanding as it pertains to the SXS world? I know we have done multi day journeys in the P1000 but no reason you could not do in a Talon or especially a Talon 4 seater.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
000D287B 64C1 486B 8B69 8D7B9E138F7D

Let’s all remember “Overlanding” is just car camping on a dirt road.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just a little place to start collecting overlanding content.. all things overlanding are welcome!

Maybe you’re wonder what overlanding is..
What is Overlanding :: Overland Journal

The expedition portal and forums at overland journal is a great place to waste time if you aren't out there doing it and need to live through others.
I haven't been in awhile, but they didn't have SxS specific section. I had ask about SxS posts, but don't think I ever got a reply. I think most of those guys there view sxs's as drunken trail riders. Maybe a few of you can prove them wrong? Or maybe a few of us daytrippers will proven them right?

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've been brainstorming some possibilities, using the trailer and truck I've already got. Here's a picture of my current Echo trailer with Talon.

20190608 153606

Rendering of photo with proposed rooftop tent structure.

Roof Tent Fab 02

I've considered putting a rack on the bed of my F150 and mounting the roof tent there. But, this arrangement would allow me to set up basecamp, unhitch the truck and have it available to run into town, etc. I'd need to put jackstands on the rear corners of the trailer, but that's not a big deal. Also, would relocate the gas cans to the back, as I wouldn't need the tongue weight.

Thoughts?

Steve

Last edited:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Overlanding is pretty cool! Remember you can always just buckle your harness and lean forward and fall asleep in the rig no set up required!
Sometimes you have to leave out the tent or hammock in lew of room for more beer..

I can testify I have seen you sleep in a Honda buckled in (& in the rain no less) ... do you think it helped with the front at a slight angle downhill or would slight angle uphill have worked better?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Biggest thing I've found in overlanding is having a place for everything and everything in its place. I've been working on some gas/saw mounting or whatever mounts.
20200110 173654
20200110 173637

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In all seriousness that is the give and take that is so much more challenging in a sxs. Managing weight, managing were the weight is high vs low and having what you need vs what you want. I love the idea of a roof rack but even 100 pounds up top will significantly alter how far you can lean before you flop.
Agreed :) In a SXS you pretty much have to think like your backpacking + anticipate everything you need for trail repairs. always helped to have a couple good buddies in rigs to split gear between - usually works out but there have been times when someone may need something and ... well shoot someone with it has already taken off or it turns out to not be the right fits etc

J

JTW

So this isn’t just sxs stuff currently.. I think we need some base content before we can get there. Talking to richard about adding an overland section to the forum.

Yes, most view the sxs guys as drunkards.. and like most stereotypes they’re based in a lot of truth. But as the sxs world grows and particularly Honda’s focus on family/nothing over the top marketing strategy. I suspect we’ll start seeing more of us.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!