tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I have spent more time deciding what wheels/tires to buy than when I bought the P500. My wife was hell bent for leather to buy a used 2WD ATV she had seen on Facebook. We had lived near Portland Oregon for more than 20 years and just moved back to Northern Ontario last spring. I had never been on an ATV. When we were picking up a lawn mower, my wife looked at, and fell in love with a red P500 and we bought it without even a test drive. No regrets! Our home is on a ½ acre lot in a 21 home subdivision. We are surrounded by 20,000 acres of bush with many inland lakes and we are about 700 yards from Lake Huron. Keeping my 150-foot drive clean of the 11 feet of snow we got this winter was almost fun with the P500 and a 66-inch KFI plough.

Back to the tires,

I want a smoother ride and a little more clearance so I am ready to push the button on

12x7, 5+2 offset, 4x110 wheels ITP Delta Steel Wheel (Silver)
with
26x9-12 tires Traxion Gripper MAX Radial Tire

I am not planning to use any spacers at this time.

I will keep the original wheels and tires for emergency spares AND I will use them in the dead of winter with chains on all four corners (Chains are very hard on tires) Maxx Diamond ATV Tire Chains

PLEASE let me know if you agree with my choices or if you see a major flaw in my decisions. {I am in Canada and we do not have the same choices or prices that are available in the USA}

Thanks

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have spent more time deciding what wheels/tires to buy than when I bought the P500. My wife was hell bent for leather to buy a used 2WD ATV she had seen on Facebook. We had lived near Portland Oregon for more than 20 years and just moved back to Northern Ontario last spring. I had never been on an ATV. When we were picking up a lawn mower, my wife looked at, and fell in love with a red P500 and we bought it without even a test drive. No regrets! Our home is on a ½ acre lot in a 21 home subdivision. We are surrounded by 20,000 acres of bush with many inland lakes and we are about 700 yards from Lake Huron. Keeping my 150-foot drive clean of the 11 feet of snow we got this winter was almost fun with the P500 and a 66-inch KFI plough.

Back to the tires,

I want a smoother ride and a little more clearance so I am ready to push the button on

with

I will keep the original wheels and tires for emergency spares AND I will use them in the dead of winter with chains on all four corners (Chains are very hard on tires) Maxx Diamond ATV Tire Chains

PLEASE let me know if you agree with my choices or if you see a major flaw in my decisions. {I am in Canada and we do not have the same choices or prices that are available in the USA}

Thanks
6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I def would not go with larger tires on a 500 unless it got widened, but your wheels will do that a bit.
The bighorn clones are pretty common, and most are generally pleased with them. I will probably be doing some soon, since I can't afford the real thing.

Reactions: 100Acre and trigger
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh...one thing I should mention is that if you are running the same wheels f/r, the front track ends up being like 1" wider (and looks even more so), which drives me nuts.

Reactions: 100Acre and Eltobgi
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

Back to the tires,

with

Thanks
They look great ! I hope they do what you want .

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Pull the trigger. You will be saying to yourself, why didn't I do this sooner. And like you have said previous threads, if you feel the need for spacers after the tire/wheel upgrade that is an easy fix.

Can't wait to see how those silver wheels look on your buggy :cool:

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I like the options you are considering, especially the 8 ply tire rating given heavy brush area you describe.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500

Back to the tires,

with

Thanks
I have 4 26x9x12 8ply tires on my p500 with no spacers and love it. The best part is with my wheels being the same size is it’s harder to catch the rear tires in tight areas because the fronts stick out a little more. I’m going to replace the tires soon and go to 26 or 27 inch bighorn2. They have a much better ride than my 8ply rocktanes.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
You are heading in the right direction.Add 1 inch spacers on the rear and disconnect the anti-sway bar to complete the job.You are going to see a big improvement.

Reactions: trigger and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Add 1 inch spacers on the rear and disconnect the anti-sway bar to complete the job.You are going to see a big improvement.
what he said, is what I did and to great advantage.

Reactions: Eltobgi
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I bought them, and installed them today.

Fullsizeoutput 6a6 Fullsizeoutput 6a5

Smoother, more comfortable ride. True top speed is 1.5 mph greater.
I took a bunch of before and after measurements and I will post them after I organize them into a chart.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!