BOX1

P1000 Another Dual Battery Thread

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
So, I have read through most of the threads on the dual battery setups, lots of good info.

I want to run a battery under the drivers seat probably going to be a optima D34M blue top.
I'm planning on using a true battery isolator.

The stator output looks to be 600w @ 13ish volts, minus 50 watts for running power, that's right around 40a.

But,the wires running to the battery look like 10-12ga, putting the charging amps at 25-30.

My question is what gauge wires should I run to my battery under the seat?
Looking at some charts it looks like all I need is a 10ga wire.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
you need to think about what accessories will be drawing power from that battery. When I put a optima yellow top under my seat, I ran a two gauge wire because my winch was pulling power from that battery. The winch could pull 300 amps.

I went to the automotive parts store and found two gauge jumper cables. I cut the ends off and use the bonded wire to run the power cables.

cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
you need to think about what accessories will be drawing power from that battery. When I put a optima yellow top under my seat, I ran a two gauge wire because my winch was pulling power from that battery. The winch could pull 300 amps.

I went to the automotive parts store and found two gauge jumper cables. I cut the ends off and use the bonded wire to run the power cables.

Smart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
So, you ran a 2 gauge wire from the primary battery to your aux. battery or from the winch to the aux. battery?

From my understanding, the isolator should serve as a disconnect between the two battery's, so the accessories should only draw from the aux. battery.

Meaning that the wires between the primary and aux. battery should only have to support the charging of the aux. battery?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So, I have read through most of the threads on the dual battery setups, lots of good info.

I want to run a battery under the drivers seat probably going to be a optima D34M blue top.
I'm planning on using a true battery isolator.

The stator output looks to be 600w @ 13ish volts, minus 50 watts for running power, that's right around 40a.

But,the wires running to the battery look like 10-12ga, putting the charging amps at 25-30.

My question is what gauge wires should I run to my battery under the seat?
Looking at some charts it looks like all I need is a 10ga wire.

I need to mention one more thing. You probably already know this, but I would use a circuit breaker or fuse on each end of the positive wire that goes between the two batteries.

Also, two gauge was overkill but it surely didn't hurt anything. I'm sure that a four GA would be just fine too.

@Windrock1000 put a Optima under his seat. Maybe he will give us some information on his installation.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran 2 gauge and wired it such that the isolator could be bypassed and the second battery could be used for primary service. Pretty sure I have pictures in my dual battery thread of what I'm talking about.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to mention one more thing. You probably already know this, but I would use a circuit breaker or fuse on each end of the positive wire that goes between the two batteries.

Also, two gauge was overkill but it surely didn't hurt anything. I'm sure that a four GA would be just fine too.

@Windrock1000 put a Optima under his seat. Maybe he will give us some information on his installation.

I ran 2 ga from the battery under the seat to a remote terminals under the hood. The optima power everything not factory. I used deep seas charging relay and combining switch. Everything works well.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What kind of bracket did you get to mount the battery under the seat

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 0031
IMG 0030

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Found at summit racing

Drilled 2 holes in the frame rail and battery box

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Windrock1000
Why'd you go under the seat rather than an oddessy under the hood?

Check on the amp hours on each battery. The optima is a 50# nuclear reactor. You can kill a oddessy with two or three long winch pulls. I've got over 700 amps of winching power and believe it or not it keeps the winch cooler. Weight was never a concern of mine. Hell I bet mines tipping the scales at 1 Ton.

J

JTW

Check on the amp hours on each battery. The optima is a 50# nuclear reactor. You can kill a oddessy with two or three long winch pulls. I've got over 700 amps of winching power and believe it or not it keeps the winch cooler. Weight was never a concern of mine. Hell I bet mines tipping the scales at 1 Ton.
Hummmm... now you're making me second guess my plan!

Reactions: Windrock1000
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

You're right about the winch running cooler. As voltage drops current increases which is what makes it hotter. So a larger battery can sustain the heavier load and still keep the voltage up.

Not to mention that the amp hour rating on the Optima is prob twice of that odyssey so you have much more capacity for longer winch pulls or longer times with the radio on. I also sometimes wish I had put a battery under the seat like I did on my pioneer 700.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I'm doing mine now. 34/78 yellow top. Used a universal battery mount kit with 2 - 10" J bolts and a top strap. There's a support tube running right in center under the battery. Drilled the 2 holes through the floor, tubes and skid plate. Used a die grinder to slot the skid for the J to slide through. The J hooks around the tube underneath to help keep it from spinning.

IMG 20161227 222812708

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm doing mine now. 34/78 yellow top. Used a universal battery mount kit with 2 - 10" J bolts and a top strap. There's a support tube running right in center under the battery. Drilled the 2 holes through the floor, tubes and skid plate. Used a die grinder to slot the skid for the J to slide through. The J hooks around the tube underneath to help keep it from spinning.

View attachment 29784
Found one problem with this set-up. If you draw your optima down below 12 volts your isolator or charging relay will cycle between main and secondary battery a lot. My problem was on a deer hunter at 18 degrees and running 50 inch light bar and running slowly at 2500 rpm and it didn't charge the secondary battery- Easy fixed- charge the secondary up periodically or run the machine at 4000 rpm for a hour. Still think its the best setup.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Found one problem with this set-up. If you draw your optima down below 12 volts your isolator or charging relay will cycle between main and secondary battery a lot. My problem was on a deer hunter at 18 degrees and running 50 inch light bar and running slowly at 2500 rpm and it didn't charge the secondary battery- Easy fixed- charge the secondary up periodically or run the machine at 4000 rpm for a hour. Still think its the best setup.
I went with a manual switch. Its right above the battery with the switch sticking out the vertical plastic right below my knees.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!