any4xx

Sep 22, 2022
Vail, AZ
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4

3. Talon X4 LV
Hi All,

Wifey and I moved to SE Arizona last year and love the wide open desert here. We have more SxS, ATV, and dirt bike traffic going by our house that car traffic. I dipped my toes into the UTV waters a few months ago by purchasing a ‘14 Arctic Cat Wildcat X4 from a neighbor and have enjoyed cruising around in the desert. We’re in our early 60’s and the thrill of speed has run its course. We’re into just cruising around the desert and enjoying the sights.

While the Arctic Cat certainly fits our needs I’m always looking for something better. I’ve had a lot of seat time on various Honda sport bikes over the years and have always felt their engineering was a cut above others. Thus, why I’m looking into the Talon line to replace (supplement?) the AC in the near future. The DCT still frightens me a bit when compared to the failure of a $75.00 belt, but I’m trusting in Honda to have gotten it right.

I don’t have much to contribute here but certainly look forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Happily lurking,

Tom.

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well sir you've come to the right place! Lotta good folks here! When you get you a buggy, post up some pics and join in on the fun!
Welcome from SE Texas... soon to be amongst the retired too! We enjoy the heck out of our Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe ('16 model). I'm a Honda fan boy myseff having had just about everything Honda puts their name on over the years... The DCT is FAR and AWAY better than the belts... and the dual shaft drives eliminate so many problems associated with riding in the Desert, sand, or the mud...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

I've been returning to the desert almost every year since my first invite to Lake Powell in 1972, this year is my 50th anniversary of those beloved visits. 😍

After 50 years on dirt bikes, I conceded my age and retired before I got hurt again. :eek: Honda introduced the Talon at the perfect time for me.

Since you'll rarely have width limitations where you ride, I recommend the Talon R over the X, simply for the extra suspension travel. The R certainly doesn't have the KRX's plush suspension but I grew to hate the CVT transmissions in my snowmobiles and won't buy another belt driven machine as long as the DCT is available. The KRXs are reportedly pretty noisy in the cab but the mechanical noise in the Talon is also onerous, I always wear foam earplugs inside my helmet (warmer, quieter, dryer, safer). If you don't want to wear helmets, plan on earmuffs, probably with communications to make conversations comfortable. Just note that if you decide on a Talon, budget in another $1500 for suspension revalving and springing or your Mrs. probably won't be happy with the ride. Shock Therapy and Weller Racing are both in the Phoenix area.

DCT - I LOVE this thing - it's a dual range, six speed, paddle shiftin' dirt kart and is more fun than should be legal. I'm usually solo and puttering around like the ole guy I am but when I'm riding with others, have been known to step it up a notch.
x.gif
The DCT software programming is damn near perfect and I'm in Auto 95% of the time. One of the biggest advantages of the DCT is being able to 'paddle up' when cruising to keep the RPM down - unlike a CVT where you get to listen to the motor spinning up on the powerband All. Damn. Day. It's the Debil, I tells ya. 🥵

Early 60's, dang kidz, git off my lawn. 😜

PS - check out the link in my sig for a lot of Talon basic info.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The DCT trans is pretty solid and trustworthy but when you do have trouble, it's costly.

Also has different characteristics than a belt CVT. CVT's work better for rock crawling and severe trails like the Rubicon. For wide open cruising, i would say the DCT has the advantage.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The DCT trans is pretty solid and trustworthy but when you do have trouble, it's costly.

Also has different characteristics than a belt CVT. CVT's work better for rock crawling an severe trails like the Rubicon. For wide open cruising, i would say the DCT has the advantage.
Another DCT advantage - fuel mileage. I rode with a Poo Poo 1000 for two days in the desert environment, he used at least 50% more gas than I did, same trails, same speeds, same everything. It's been a few months, I don't remember the exact numbers. 😊

I've gotten as low as 9.8 on an all day, slow, low range, rocky ride in the high country (high elevation = leaner FI jetting = higher mileage). I've seen 20 on an easy wide open desert ride (just cruising) but usually 17-18 when I bother to check mileage.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The DCT still frightens me a bit when compared to the failure of a $75.00 belt, but I’m trusting in Honda to have gotten it right.
It's actually the othwerway around the ru ber. And should scare the hell out of you cuz they do snap belts more often and if your ridding sand, the rpms on a belt drive (already high normally) are even higher that means- permanent ear damage like I have from other things but also my belt drive snowmobiles contributing a good portion

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi All,

Wifey and I moved to SE Arizona last year and love the wide open desert here. We have more SxS, ATV, and dirt bike traffic going by our house that car traffic. I dipped my toes into the UTV waters a few months ago by purchasing a ‘14 Arctic Cat Wildcat X4 from a neighbor and have enjoyed cruising around in the desert. We’re in our early 60’s and the thrill of speed has run its course. We’re into just cruising around the desert and enjoying the sights.

While the Arctic Cat certainly fits our needs I’m always looking for something better. I’ve had a lot of seat time on various Honda sport bikes over the years and have always felt their engineering was a cut above others. Thus, why I’m looking into the Talon line to replace (supplement?) the AC in the near future. The DCT still frightens me a bit when compared to the failure of a $75.00 belt, but I’m trusting in Honda to have gotten it right.

I don’t have much to contribute here but certainly look forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Happily lurking,

Tom.
Welcome to the Club from NW Arkansas!

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It's actually the othwerway around the ru ber. And should scare the hell out of you cuz they do snap belts more often and if your ridding sand, the rpms on a belt drive (already high normally) are even higher that means- permanent ear damage like I have from other things but also my belt drive snowmobiles contributing a good portion
Brands like Yamaha have very few belt failures. In matter of fact, I hear more Honda trans problems than Yamaha belts.

The only problem with Yamaha is you have to service (relube) the CVT sheaves every 1600 miles. If neglected, you will hurt more than the belt.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Brands like Yamaha have very few belt failures. In matter of fact, I hear more Honda trans problems than Yamaha belts.

The only problem with Yamaha is you have to service (relube) the CVT sheaves every 1600 miles. If neglected, you will hurt more than the belt.
Thats my be with UTV’s but i sure see the yami sleds on trail with them snapped Equally to my Skidoo’s and the fire traps are worse. Yami either has something right and wrong or something wrong and right 🤔 🤣

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi All,

Happily lurking,

Tom.
welcome from Ohio gotta love a Honda

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thats my be with UTV’s but i sure see the yami sleds on trail with them snapped Equally to my Skidoo’s and the fire traps are worse. Yami either has something right and wrong or something wrong and right 🤔 🤣
The Yamaha belt has constant tension. It doesn't release and engage like other brands, that makes a big difference.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from the mountains of WNC
Don’t be scared of the DCT.
it stands for
Don’t
Cause
Trouble
I love being able to switch gears even in Auto mode.
Any transmission is prone to problems, I like the fact it’s a drive shaft turning my tires not a belt.
I did drive a Yamaha Rmax at the Take Over this year and it was a nice buggy and all but… I’m use to getting a immediate response with throttle input… had to wait on the belt system to do its thing, wasn’t a fan of that. A talon should do you good, good luck and can’t wait to see pics.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Welcome from the mountains of WNC
Don’t be scared of the DCT.
it stands for
Don’t
Cause
Trouble
I love being able to switch gears even in Auto mode.
Any transmission is prone to problems, I like the fact it’s a drive shaft turning my tires not a belt.
I did drive a Yamaha Rmax at the Take Over this year and it was a nice buggy and all but… I’m use to getting a immediate response with throttle input… had to wait on the belt system to do its thing, wasn’t a fan of that. A talon should do you good, good luck and can’t wait to see pics.
That's the wet clutch, it has that characteristic.

But, you can put your tire right up against a log or rock and just gas over it. If you do that in a Honda, you are going to break something.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2

Mine is just grease 1 washer every 2500 miles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!