BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi All,

Wifey and I moved to SE Arizona last year and love the wide open desert here. We have more SxS, ATV, and dirt bike traffic going by our house that car traffic. I dipped my toes into the UTV waters a few months ago by purchasing a ‘14 Arctic Cat Wildcat X4 from a neighbor and have enjoyed cruising around in the desert. We’re in our early 60’s and the thrill of speed has run its course. We’re into just cruising around the desert and enjoying the sights.

While the Arctic Cat certainly fits our needs I’m always looking for something better. I’ve had a lot of seat time on various Honda sport bikes over the years and have always felt their engineering was a cut above others. Thus, why I’m looking into the Talon line to replace (supplement?) the AC in the near future. The DCT still frightens me a bit when compared to the failure of a $75.00 belt, but I’m trusting in Honda to have gotten it right.

I don’t have much to contribute here but certainly look forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Happily lurking,

Tom.
Welcome Tom!! I too have had many years on Hondas. My last two were both Goldwings. I had a couple Polaris ATVs when we lived in MN as well as a Snowmobile. After moving to AZ, I got a Polaris RZR as I was familiar with Polaris and everyone said how great they are. After dusting the engine and having some belt issues, I ended up buying a Talon X2 and couldn't be happier. You can cruise in Automatic (no manual shifting like you are used to with a belt) or you can put it in Manual mode and paddle shift the gears. It's a lot of fun, even at lower speeds, to ride the trails, shift (up or down) and enjoy the AZ desert (or Mountain) trails. Everyone has their own preference but I love the Talon and as you know from your Honda experience, Honda isn't first to market but when they get there, they will dominate the class. Good Luck!

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
welcome. I’m in NAZ.

Not sure if it is just pioneer 1000’s but there has been multiple failures on over crimped thin gauge wires that operate the fuel injectors and in my case the IACV Idle Air Control Valve. Happened when I was on a vacation riding the in the Rocky Mountains near Silverton. Nearly stranded me but limped it back to camp with high idle, check engine light and not wanting to shift into gear because of high idle due to non operating IACV.

Thought highly of Honda until that experience that cut the trip short. Also overheated on a mountain pass. Only had 1600 miles.
Has 2200 miles now and has been good.
Slowly gaining back confidence in the pile-neer

Reactions: Smittyp and FJC 79
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Although you might never see the extreme altitudes that I ride regularly, you will see rocks. The Talon is quite competent handling most of whatever shows up.

Here's a video of Radical Hill west of Denver, going up and back down (the upper half). There's actually a mound at the top called Radical Hill, it isn't because of the climb itself but the name stuck.

If you're still in the mood, this is a full length ride of Red Cone (12,801 elevation) to Webster Pass, more rocks and not a whimper from the Talon.

Earlier Radical Hill screenshot - it's at 45 seconds in the first video. Like any photo/video, it's steeper 'n it looks. :eek:

C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi All,

Wifey and I moved to SE Arizona last year and love the wide open desert here. We have more SxS, ATV, and dirt bike traffic going by our house that car traffic. I dipped my toes into the UTV waters a few months ago by purchasing a ‘14 Arctic Cat Wildcat X4 from a neighbor and have enjoyed cruising around in the desert. We’re in our early 60’s and the thrill of speed has run its course. We’re into just cruising around the desert and enjoying the sights.

While the Arctic Cat certainly fits our needs I’m always looking for something better. I’ve had a lot of seat time on various Honda sport bikes over the years and have always felt their engineering was a cut above others. Thus, why I’m looking into the Talon line to replace (supplement?) the AC in the near future. The DCT still frightens me a bit when compared to the failure of a $75.00 belt, but I’m trusting in Honda to have gotten it right.

I don’t have much to contribute here but certainly look forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Happily lurking,

Tom.
The DCT is not cheaper to fix, my friend’s primary clutch came apart and destroyed the secondary clutch and housing on his general at 900 miles, It was $1800 just in parts alone…. I know 3 other friends that have had to replace their primary clutch at around 3k miles (Polaris XP, due to lack of maintenance). Don’t worry about the DCT, just dive it like a manual, don’t slip the clutch all the time at low speeds (even if you do it will hold up for a long time). You actually have experience with bikes so you will know what I am talking about, you can feel it, it only happens at takeoff.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The DCT is not cheaper to fix, my friend’s primary clutch came apart and destroyed the secondary clutch and housing on his general at 900 miles, It was $1800 just in parts alone…. I know 3 other friends that have had to replace their primary clutch at around 3k miles (Polaris XP, due to lack of maintenance). Don’t worry about the DCT, just dive it like a manual, don’t slip the clutch all the time at low speeds (even if you do it will hold up for a long time). You actually have experience with bikes so you will know what I am talking about, you can feel it, it only happens at takeoff.
Or, just buy an RMAX and don't worry about it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: FJC 79 and Smittyp
K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All,

Happily lurking,

Tom.
I own a p1000-5. I chose it because it is a Honda (same lifelong experience as you) and I have always thought there designs were simple and effective. On the dirt bikes, keep oil in them and they last.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!