P500 Any done the seatbelt defeat on the 520?

J

johnnyrockets

Feb 8, 2021
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
I got the new harness from here but I’m not sure how to go about it. Under the seat is a sea of pop rivets and panels and no easy access to anything obvious. Before I go pulling it apart into a pile of pieces, does anyone have any pointers?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I got the new harness from here but I’m not sure how to go about it. Under the seat is a sea of pop rivets and panels and no easy access to anything obvious. Before I go pulling it apart into a pile of pieces, does anyone have any pointers?

View attachment 259291
Just pry top of pins out, they are not pop rivets, but reuseable.. But I did the seat belt speed limiter defeat by removing the piece in the buckle. Easy and didn’t remove panels.

J

johnnyrockets

Feb 8, 2021
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
I’d seen other posts about a magnet but the 520 seatbelt buckle is a little different. I just took another look, turns out it’s a contact switch that’s clipped to the bottom of the buckle housing. Open position to defeat it. I unclipped it and threw a little piece of duct tape between the switch and another piece to hold it together. Works fine. No harness needed. Haven’t driven it but the seatbelt light isn’t blinking so I assume it’s good.

Thanks guys!

F7BB77CE 4C54 4A21 BCBE E5C4FCE85FB0

STL520

STL520

Mar 15, 2021
St. Louis
Just to be sure as this is about the first thing I will do when the 520 comes in....
Inserting the buckle opens the circuit? Prevent the little lever from closing?
Thanks!

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520

Halfway down this post. I removed both panels anyways to get a good look at what was under there. They weren't bad. You do, however, have to remove the panel in the middle that's behind both of them as well. It hides a couple more plastic rivets.

J

johnnyrockets

Feb 8, 2021
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
Just to be sure as this is about the first thing I will do when the 520 comes in....
Inserting the buckle opens the circuit? Prevent the little lever from closing?
Thanks!
Yep, remove two screws from the seatbelt housing, pull the little black switch off the bottom, keep the switch from closing and put it back together. 5 minutes and a 2 microscopic pieces of duct tape.

J

johnnyrockets

Feb 8, 2021
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500

Halfway down this post. I removed both panels anyways to get a good look at what was under there. They weren't bad. You do, however, have to remove the panel in the middle that's behind both of them as well. It hides a couple more plastic rivets.
No need for ordering parts and removing panels imho. To each his own though.

Interesting thread btw. I have a feeling I’ll be referring back to it for ideas. Thanks for sharing.

M

mrbob1983

Feb 15, 2021
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
This worked on a p520. Sold as a bottle opener.

View attachment 269222
I like this idea. I was reading about taking the buckle apart and i also saw the little jumper harness things that plug into where the seatbelt plugs in, but was unsure if it would work on the 520? The bottle opener or fake buckle solution is nice and keeps everything factory.

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi there, did it on mine. Still wear the seat belt but on quick jumps around the farm it is handy

STL520

STL520

Mar 15, 2021
St. Louis
Ordered a pair of those "bottle openers". Since I hardly drink anything in bottles, certainly not on the trail, I put them to use as "auxiliary anchor points" between our seats. Haven't found anything that needs anchored yet but as a nice benefit, we don't have to wrestle the seat belts on to go over 15mph. If we feel the other one is driving too fast, we can reach over and pop one out and all is safe again ;).

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I did the "bottle opener" when I first got it. I ordered the defeat setup over a month ago along with the fan over-ride. I hate tearing into brand new things, so I put it off. Shame on me! This was the easiest thing in the world. The wires aren't even buried in the P520, right there under the buckle. You do have to remove the plastic cover, but the wires are literally staring you in the face! I have heard others worried about maybe having to return it to "factory", well let me assure you that nobody will ever be able tell, even if you have to reconnect it.

A HUGE shout out to the Honda SxS Club Store! Both parts (fan over-ride & seat belt defeat) were literally a plug & play as advertised. That doesn't seem to happen very often anymore. Can't thank you enough!!! 👍

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Just opened up the seatbelt latch out of curiosity today. Once the black plastic is off, click the seatbelt in and then the switch can be removed. If you gently pull up on the metal contact it slides right out leaving the contact on the "clicked" position permanently.

IMG 20210726 171739

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just opened up the seatbelt latch out of curiosity today. Once the black plastic is off, click the seatbelt in and then the switch can be removed. If you gently pull up on the metal contact it slides right out leaving the contact on the "clicked" position permanently.

View attachment 285751
....what I did on mine. Quick and free

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I ordered a package of the bottle opener devices. Work in my F-250, my Tahoe, and my buddies Land Rover. It did not work in either the P500 or the P1000.

FWIW

s/f Steve

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!