L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Anyone here have a recommendation on a 3D printer?

I am looking at either a

Creality Ender 5 Plus 3D Printer or a
GEEETECH New A20M 3D Printer

Not interested making multi-colored parts but might be nice to make support pillars a different color so I know what is a part and what is to be trimmed or cut off.

The Creality has a bigger foot-print but both would be adequate for now.

Any other thoughts or recommendations?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a little Printrbot simple metal at home and it works pretty well. My only recommendation would be like building a shop, always go as big as you can. I have a couple of things I want to make for my rig but the 6x6 build plate is a little to small. I bought a Ultimaker 5S for work that's pretty expensive for a homeuser but it has a big print area. I've been using some Tough PLA that's comparable to ABS, with it that prints fairly easily and seems really tough.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: L2R and monaco
L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
thanks - these have a pretty good sized work space. The smallest one I am looking at is 10x10x10.
I am interested in what PLA you think is tough.

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500

I am looking at either a

Not interested making multi-colored parts but might be nice to make support pillars a different color so I know what is a part and what is to be trimmed or cut off.

I looked hard at an Ender 5. I've had about 4 Crealty printers and they are decent starter printers. I have several of them sitting on my shop floor because I don't use them anymore.

Depends what you want - build size, reliability, etc. But for my money, if I were starting out today, I'd buy a Prusa Mini which will do a 7" cube volume, be reliable, and be easy to use without tweaking or modification. Later on, if you get into it, you could get a multi color feeder like the Palette, which works with any printer, or upgrade your build plate size if that's more the direction you want to go.

Reactions: L2R and JsheII3
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I am looking at either a

I’ve been looking into these as well. Mainly for making things for the pioneer.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks - these have a pretty good sized work space. The smallest one I am looking at is 10x10x10.
I am interested in what PLA you think is tough.
There is actually some stuff called Tough PLA. I've had some warping with the regular stuff in the heat and sun, but this seems to work pretty well. You can actually anneal it in an oven to give it some more strength. It is a little more spendy but seems like it will last. MatterHackers PRO Series Tough PLA | MatterHackers

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: L2R
L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I have been looking at filaments and also saw jars of resins.
Is this material what you use if you made a mold?

Reactions: monaco
L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like what I see on the Mini but it is on backorder until May :-(

I am interested in using the printer to make a mold so I can make some limited number of parts from another plastic with a lower melt point or another material.
Does anyone know where I can learn about what materials would be best for the 3D printed part and what is available for the molded part.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
For advanced materials such as nylons and PEEK you need a heated bed, a high quality extruder capable of ~300*C or more, a method to dry the filament, and an enclosure to maintain a warm & dry environment while printing. PLA isn't really structural, and can melt/deform in sunlight or the heat of a closed vehicle. PETG is a little better, but I still wouldn't use it for more than a switch bezel or other parts that aren't critical.

Budget printers can do a decent job, but will likely require more tweaking and faffing about to do so. If you want a good out-of-box experience, then the Prusa is hard to beat. I got the Prusa MkIII kit nearly 2 years ago and learned about it by putting it together. My 1st big project was to make an enclosure using 2 IKEA tables and some plexiglass. It has been reliable & dependable ever since.

Drying filament can be done cheaply using a food dehydrator and just cutting out the shelves. Many filaments come in heavy ziplok bags with large packs of desiccant, both can be reused to keep things dry.

K

Kevdp4

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
SW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had a Prusa MK3s for a couple of years now. I make a lot of parts with it and have had no issues. I also have an MMU but have never assembled it. I print mostly PETG.

Reactions: L2R and monaco
L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I ordered a mini but it will be months before it shows up.
Found a Creality 3 cheap and it will be here next week.
Dehydrator came today.
I have a fair sized closet off my office so the next steps will be to get electricity into the room, buy or build a solid table and
enclosure to pipe out the smell (oddly enough, the closet has a window)

Hoping I have some experience and the learning curve behind me by the time it arrives.

I have a long way to go so
everyone for sharing. It made a difference.

Reactions: ehart814 and monaco
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is definetly a learning curve, but that is half the fun. If something doesn't work you just hit reprint and give her another go. Usually you're out pennies of material and a couple of hours of machine time. Have fun.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I ordered an Ender 3 about a week and a half ago. Looking forward to getting started. I just hope the learning curve isn't too ridiculous. I have been reading about this for a while, so I think i'm probably more prepared that many noobs. There is a LOT to learn, especially when it comes to using different materials. i should be receiving it this week.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
@L2R

Smell isn't really an issue with PLA and PETG, but ABS can stank up the place. One common enclosure idea is designed around 2 (or more) IKEA Lack tables. Here's one idea . . .

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
There are Pioneer 1000 door bushings on Thingiverse. Will probably be one of my first projects

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are Pioneer 1000 door bushings on Thingiverse. Will probably be one of my first projects

Good luck. I have Flashforge Creator Pro and tried them couple times in ABS and never could get right but I’m not the best with it anyway. Wound up doing the solid bushings and am very happy I did

Reactions: ehart814
L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
nni
@L2R

Smell isn't really an issue with PLA and PETG, but ABS can stank up the place. One common enclosure idea is designed around 2 (or more) IKEA Lack tables. Here's one idea . . .

Nice video.

That is the guy that has 300 printers making more parts to make more printers so he can sell more printers.
And I still have to wait until June to get mine.

Reactions: monaco

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!