P1000 Are fox shocks really worth it?

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Leesville, South Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My father has a 2016 700 and put fox shocks on his. And he still says after many rides that my 1000 deluxe rides smoother than his no matter the setting of his shocks. Which I believe is 3. And mine are still stock shocks. So is it really worth it to upgrade.. I know its a to each their own. I dont mind that stock ones but its not like I am in a Talon or X3 running 40 mph on rocks and need the wheels to bounce. But does it really matter on rock climbing? Take over is coming soon and I have been to rrb a few times and had no issues just wondering if I should take the dive into shocks to make the ride better?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well to start off with, and comparing stock machines, the 1000 rides so much better than the 700. My biggest issue with the stock shocks on the 1000 are the front ones bottom out very easy. I have fox shocks on the back and I can definitely tell a difference from the stock ones. My front ones will be delivered this week. I can't wait to get those on and get the preload adjusted front and back.
So far I'm glad I did it and I'm sure it will be much better once I get the fronts installed.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
My personal and probably unpopular opinion is, yes they are better than the factory shocks. Are they $1500 better? No. I'm glad I'll already bit the bullet and bought them but not sure I would spend that kind of money to do it again. I've always had Honda 4 wheelers and a P500 before the 1000, so I thought the factory P1000 was a Cadillac compared to my previous machines. Basically, if you have the $$$ to buy them, yes they do improve the ride. But it's not life changing in my opinion.

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Leesville, South Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My personal and probably unpopular opinion is, yes they are better than the factory shocks. Are they $1500 better? No. I'm glad I'll already bit the bullet and bought them but not sure I would spend that kind of money to do it again. I've always had Honda 4 wheelers and a P500 before the 1000, so I thought the factory P1000 was a Cadillac compared to my previous machines. Basically, if you have the $$$ to buy them, yes they do improve the ride. But it's not life changing in my opinion.
my father marvels even with fox on his 700 my stock ones are still better..... after driving and riding at rrb

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you are going to the takeover. Why not just test out someone's 1000 that has them on there? I know there will be someone there that wouldn't mind. Since you're on the fence about them and it is a big purchase that's what I would do

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I upgraded my deluxe from stick to Fox with single rate springs. Made a huge difference I was able to get my ride height back due to spring sage from all the extra weight. Rode much smoother. Last month at Brimstone my buddies said I was riding much faster due to the more smooth ride since I wasn't bottoming out on everything we drove over. It's tough to spend that much but I would do it again.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I upgraded my deluxe from stick to Fox with single rate springs. Made a huge difference I was able to get my ride height back due to spring sage from all the extra weight. Rode much smoother. Last month at Brimstone my buddies said I was riding much faster due to the more smooth ride since I wasn't bottoming out on everything we drove over. It's tough to spend that much but I would do it again.

Funny you mention that. I bought single rate springs for my rear Fox's, but haven't put them on yet. I really need to do that and see what kinda difference it makes.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My father has a 2016 700 and put fox shocks on his. And he still says after many rides that my 1000 deluxe rides smoother than his
Welll … 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Backwoods
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I rode in Adam's machine last week and it's awesome with the Fox Shocks and single rate springs.

If you find someone with Fox Shocks at takeover let me know. We'll go for a ride and you can try my Elka Stage 4s as well. My Elkas are a bit stiffer than Adams Fox Shocks if I had to guess but my tires rub less, other than shocks we have very similar machines; SuperATV arms front and rear with 30s.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Funny you mention that. I bought single rate springs for my rear Fox's, but haven't put them on yet. I really need to do that and see what kinda difference it makes.
Never use the dual rate shocks, but based on how much my stock were compressed I figured I would have the same problem. So I just ordered the single. Kind of wished I went up one size on the front. The tough country bumper adds a lot of weight to the front.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode in Adam's machine last week and it's awesome with the Fox Shocks and single rate springs.

If you find someone with Fox Shocks at takeover let me know. We'll go for a ride and you can try my Elka Stage 4s as well. My Elkas are a bit stiffer than Adams Fox Shocks if I had to guess but my tires rub less, other than shocks we have very similar machines; SuperATV arms front and rear with 30s.
Todd said it right I still get a little to much compression and get some tire rub. Especially in the front. When I weight my machine it was 2300lbs before I added the 30in tires and bead locks. Me and my machine needs to go on a weight loss program.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've not had anything to compare the Fox too.
I can say the Fox were awesome until I mounted the kitchen sink on the rear of the machine. Obviously, bottom out city.

I Just replaced the rear fox springs with 350 # single rate springs, recommended by others.
Took about 1 1/8" to get 12.25" pre load height, loaded.
Ride seemed a bit stiff so I set the rebound dampen setting to low or the slowest setting on all 4 and dropped all the tire pressure to 12 psi.
Rides and handles like it did new, before I added all the s***.
Pretty happy with the buck fifty mod.
JMO.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
imho the front is a must to do something with but the rear self leveling aren’t too bad.
If easy trail riding they are slightly more harsh but do allow more movement and compression, they soften up better at speed.
I’m glad I pulled trigger and have been able to enjoy them for the last 5 years. I did go to single rate not to long after that but I went much stiffer unlike most and like the ability to really jamb on trails even with fully loaded machine but empty low speed it’s very harsh.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!