BOX1

Are these old Scouts worth anything?

P

PNWGuy

Dad bought a 1974 International Scout Terra pickup a couple of years ago off an old guy in the mountains. He's been working on it here and there and drives it around town every now and then.

Thing is in rough shape, but it works. Barely.

Dad thinks it's some sort of a collector vehicle and says the NADA Classic Car value of it is crazy; around $6k as is. Over $20k restored.

I wouldn't give over $1000 for it...

But, it has a rare dealer installed canopy and it's in a rare color, so apparently it's desirable. He said he was thinking of selling it to put more money into his Jeep, and was going to ask $5k for it. I think he's crazy...

IuIolaP0TA2bYRZmroMlrg

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dad thinks it's some sort of a collector vehicle and says the NADA Classic Car value of it is crazy; around $6k as is. Over $20k restored.

But, it has a rare dealer installed canopy and it's in a rare color, so apparently it's desirable. He said he was thinking of selling it to put more money into his Jeep, and was going to ask $5k for it. I think he's crazy...

View attachment 140356

That’s because it is. It was the IH scout that kick started the SUV movement, followed by the Ford Bronco and Chevy Blazer.

IH couldn’t keep up with the manufacturing / styling capacity of Ford or GM and were quickly out sold.

They are cool bad ass tough trucks that still do more with less than any off road rig in the past 20 years.

If it runs and drives it’s easily worth 8K or more. If it has the V8 it gets better.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
That’s because it is. It was the IH scout that kick started the SUV movement, followed by the Ford Bronco and Chevy Blazer.

IH couldn’t keep up with the manufacturing / styling capacity of Ford or GM and were quickly out sold.

They are cool bad ass tough trucks that still do more with less than any off road rig in the past 20 years.

If it runs and drives it’s easily worth 8K or more. If it has the V8 it gets better.

And the unsynchronized transmission is a joy......

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
His has a three speed on the floor. I drove it last week down to the pizza place and it was a trip. Shifted just fine, though. Doesn't have a steering wheel; it has a Steering Suggestion Wheel...

Hahahahaha!!!!! The one we used to have upshifted fine. Downshifting while moving was a real grind....

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
His has a three speed on the floor. I drove it last week down to the pizza place and it was a trip. Shifted just fine, though. Doesn't have a steering wheel; it has a Steering Suggestion Wheel...
That’s one of the funniest things I’ve heard!

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I believe they also made one with a diesel which were pretty nice.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dad bought a 1974 International Scout Terra pickup a couple of years ago off an old guy in the mountains. He's been working on it here and there and drives it around town every now and then.

Thing is in rough shape, but it works. Barely.

View attachment 140356
Had a friend that had an old one back in the mid 60s. They are tough as nails.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Years ago I had an International Scout Traveler 2, I don't remember the exact year 77 ? It had the 304 ? V8 automatic,air,ps,pb, 4x4, it had a custom black and silver paint job, very nice and dependable suv and would go anywhere. It started rusting pretty bad so I traded it.

P

PNWGuy

Years ago I had an International Scout Traveler 2, I don't remember the exact year 77 ? It had the 304 ? V8 automatic,air,ps,pb, 4x4, it had a custom black and silver paint job, very nice and dependable suv and would go anywhere. It started rusting pretty bad so I traded it.
Yeah, rust is the biggest issue with these things. We don't use salt out here, but even then, this Scout has some significant body rot...

The day we pulled it off the mountain...

NHZiZcDDs7hif1z37XpX2 Ajb2tj4Bky89PP5HF5kMInvEZqt

ZmOwQl8c3oTHxFOAbmt9rQFgjaiRp0e2TPPXASfSYscnvEZqt

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!