Arizona Peace Trail, 6 day loop ride, Lake Havasu riding North, Clockwise. Jan 14 - 20, 2022.

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just completed a 6 day ride of the AZPT with a Talon, a Razr and a Rincon. 737 miles on the odometer. We started and travelled north from Lake Havasu. I put on a set of new stock tires before we started and they worked well. 1 issue with the Talon, The original battery completely died on day two on the trail without warning. Wouldn’t even light the dash up. Jump started it until we found a battery at the Salome NAPA store 1 1/2 days later. No problems after that. We reserved motels a few weeks back and made those our stopping point. $57-$234. That one high one was because of a big RV show at Quartzite. Daily mileage was from about 89 to 157 miles but each day was about 8 hours riding. We found a place to stop for lunch and gas most days but had food/gas ready packed when we didn’t. Temps ranged from about low 30’s near Kingman to mid 60’s During most days. Mules in Oatman, a coyote and 1 sheep were about the only animals we saw On the trail. Plenty of dust, gravel and sand. Dirt roads could be 60 mph smooth as glass or 5 mph wash boarded as heck. Beautiful scenery on every day and each was something different. Mountains to desert to farmland and water different every day. Worst big rocky section was near Quartzite but only for a few miles. Taller tires would have helped out on that section but stock tires work well. I think I only saw about 4 Talons on the trail going the opposite direction. Overall a good trip that the Talon had no performance issues doing.

30B23980 C9C3 4789 84EF C98381520F30 FBED0F3A ED0D 4C79 9214 81C71225C483 998008FD D77E 44BA 9814 98B506C4F5EF 9FC93A71 DA90 4FE8 AB00 D9C79D25CD73 F38D8AD3 F32E 4F7E 8E4A 80B10508D5F0 14463797 20FF 4BBA 86BD AC9D6F6AF677

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for sharing. We’ve got a group ride planed for the second half of October and could use any advice and information you could share. Maybe you could join our conversation in the fall 2022 planning thread we have going in the general discussion forum…👍😎

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for sharing. We’ve got a group ride planed for the second half of October and could use any advice and information you could share. Maybe you could join our conversation in the fall 2022 planning thread we have going in the general discussion forum…👍😎
I have a good .gxp file If needed. Tracked each day of our ride perfectly. I’ll check that conversation and see if I can contribute. You located anywhere near Bartllesville, Ok.?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a good .gxp file If needed. Tracked each day of our ride perfectly. I’ll check that conversation and see if I can contribute. You located anywhere near Bartllesville, Ok.?
Thank you sir, Straight south a couple hours in the Poteau area.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Very nice write up and great pictures! Thank you for sharing.

I saw you mentioned that you had stock tires on your Talon and that you think taller tires would have been better in one section. Did you want it for more floatation, more clearance or both?

I'm running 27" on a P520 and want to make sure that its not going to be a disaster for me. I'm good with struggling a bit to get through the rough stuff, I see that as part of the fun. But if the going gets really tough, my wife may not like it as much.

Thanks,

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I saw you mentioned that you had stock tires on your Talon and that you think taller tires would have been better in one section. Did you want it for more floatation, more clearance or both?

I'm running 27" on a P520 and want to make sure that its not going to be a disaster for me. I'm good with struggling a bit to get through the rough stuff, I see that as part of the fun. But if the going gets really tough, my wife may not like it as much.

Thanks,

Rob
Your wife is going to love it Rob….👍😎😂

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X

Thanks,

Rob
Just for more ground clearance when going over some of the bigger rocks so I wouldn’t have hit the skid plate a few time.

Lymasl

Lymasl

Feb 7, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Big Red

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for sharing. We are going on the same trip the first week of March. Is your picture the only snow you found? I assume south of Kingman in the mountains? Any advice you have would be appreciated.
Yes that snow was in the mountain area south of Kingman. That’s the highest elevation portion of the trail. It was around 24 degrees that morning but warmed up to mid 50’s. 1. You have to be layered up for any weather. Temps drop quickly when the sun goes down. 2. Plan and reserve a room somewhere unless you want to spend a night underneath the stars. Wikiup and Salome have a very limited amount of rooms. Don’t expect the Hilton but the room were clean enough there. Bigger towns have more selection. 3. Route out your ride before you leave. Make sure you can complete the mileage. A 75 mile ride may take hours longer than you would think. Trails are not marked at every turn and there are 100’s of choices everyday that you wouldn’t want to stop and decide which way to turn. We had Garmin Montana GPS and followed our pre planned route which got us all to the same place. Surprisingly it takes less than 2 minutes to totally lose track of your riding partners in some areas. 4. Lots of miles of dusty, rough roads and some pavement depending on where you go. But dusty if you group ride and you are not leading. 5. Plenty of things to see and do and you will miss things but you have to choose based on your trip length. 6. Do maintenance on machine before you leave. Air filter, oil change, etc. 7. We brought spare tires, gas cans, water cans but fortunately never used them. 8. Sunscreen, lip balm, goggles, sunglasses and that type of stuff are nice to have with you. 9. Permits, Drivers license, registration, insurance, cash and credit card etc. We never got stopped, just got a friendly wave or two from the authorities we came across. 10. Enjoy the adventure and take each day as it comes because some things unplanned make the best vacations.

Last edited:
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
How many miles of paved roads are there on the AZPT? From the .gpx file on the AZPT web site it looks like about 10 miles entering Kingman and about 25 miles leaving Kingman. I would think similar for Yuma. I have a P500 so 35 mph is about my max cruising speed, is that going to be a problem on the paved roads? Thanks for all your information and pictures.

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
How many miles of paved roads are there on the AZPT? From the .gpx file on the AZPT web site it looks like about 10 miles entering Kingman and about 25 miles leaving Kingman. I would think similar for Yuma. I have a P500 so 35 mph is about my max cruising speed, is that going to be a problem on the paved roads? Thanks for all your information and pictures.
It really depends on your route and where you get gas, food and lodging. Getting to those places were off the trail road miles. Most roads we went on were not main highways and very little traffic. A 10 mile stretch of road will seem like a long time when you are doing it. We pulled over when necessary to let a few cars get by. We crossed over and under I-10 and I-8 but you never get on those. Traveling 35 mph will be fine on most of the roads. We did not go into Yuma.

B

Bob1000r

Feb 2, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
It really depends on your route and where you get gas, food and lodging. Getting to those places were off the trail road miles. Most roads we went on were not main highways and very little traffic. A 10 mile stretch of road will seem like a long time when you are doing it. We pulled over when necessary to let a few cars get by. We crossed over and under I-10 and I-8 but you never get on those. Traveling 35 mph will be fine on most of the roads. We did not go into Yuma.
Be cool if you could list the towns and places you stayed overnight. Would help people like me.

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Be cool if you could list the towns and places you stayed overnight. Would help people like me.
Day 1 Lake Havasu to Kingman - Rodeway Inn
Day 2 Wikieup - Trading Post Motel - only place and only 4 rooms.
Day 3 Salome - Shefflers
Day 4 Welton - Microtel
Day 5 Ehrenberg - Best Western
Day 6 Lake Havasu back to rented house
Wikieup and Salome are very limited in choices. You get what you pay for.
How cool is this?

95ACA8E5 A216 422C 8037 C657CA8E6912 84328C97 58CA 4600 8AAE A6966B811AF5

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!