P500 Auto Shifting Issue

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
My P5 started shifting strange in auto. The first time it happened it shifted prematurely to a higher gear. The D on the display went to --. Yesterday driving on a flat road at one speed it shifted several times up and down. It acts like it temporarily does not read the speed/rpm correctly. I am not sure what to look for (sensor etc.). All help appreciated because I do not want to take to the dealer.

Thanks

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Jack up rear, remove drivers side rear wheel. At the back of the engine assy are two cables, and they are too tight and wear through or break. Cut the tie wraps, inspect for broken wires. Unplug the connector on the left which goes to the gear indicator switch, (on the back of engine assy), check it for corrosion, put dielectric grease on it, and plug it back in. When done do NOT tie wrap the wires as tight as Honda had them.

Reactions: BuckCreek01
BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the direction. I will check it next weekend and report.

Reactions: 70Bones
CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500
I had this same problem yesterday. I switched to manual for a minute then switched back to AT and it worked fine after that. To be honest, I don't even know why I was in AT mode in the first place.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
I had this same problem yesterday. I switched to manual for a minute then switched back to AT and it worked fine after that. To be honest, I don't even know why I was in AT mode in the first place.

I use AT most of the time while still using the paddles. AT mode is convenient when taking the grand kids on rides also. This problem comes and goes but recently getting worse.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Jack up rear, remove drivers side rear wheel. At the back of the engine assy are two cables, and they are too tight and wear through or break. Cut the tie wraps, inspect for broken wires. Unplug the connector on the left which goes to the gear indicator switch, (on the back of engine assy), check it for corrosion, put dielectric grease on it, and plug it back in. When done do NOT tie wrap the wires as tight as Honda had them.
IMG 20200405 115503688
Is this the correct plug? Only found one cable tie and it's not tight.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Did what you suggested. Ran about 1.5 hours today and no AT shifting issues. Time will tell but I'm hopeful.

Thanks..

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!