P1000 Aux battery help

J

jeffa

Sep 29, 2018
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am getting ready to install a 2nd battery and isolater. I know the most common setup is the odyssey battery and tru isolater. But why? What are the specs that you all are looking for that lead you to this setup.I am trying to gain a little knowledge as I have very little in this area. I would also like to try to buy local if I can.
My winch (badlands 5000)at full capacity draws 296 amps. Is this what I would compare to the cca rating on a battery? I know I probably won't use at full capacity.
How do i figure what amp hr. Battery I need? 30 seems common but why?
For the isolater do i need to match the output of the alternater? Would smaller rather than bigger just slow recharge time or could it burn something up?
Fuses i assume are needed. Inline or fuse block?
Thanks for any help.

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The battery limitation is the size of the pocket under the hood. Another less common option is mount a full size automotive battery under the driver seat. Run a big power cable under the hood to some junction studs. Run all your accessories off it.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I installed a bad dog winch and 2 lithium batteries in original battery location. Yes, they are smaller. I also put a tru isolator. I have run the main battery down to where it would not start the rig. So I jumped myself with one cable, + to +. The isolator saved my butt. Have been told lithium doesn't work in cold, but at 20 above works fine.

Reactions: BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I installed a bad dog winch and 2 lithium batteries in original battery location. Yes, they are smaller. I also put a tru isolator. I have run the main battery down to where it would not start the rig. So I jumped myself with one cable, + to +. The isolator saved my butt. Have been told lithium doesn't work in cold, but at 20 above works fine.
?????????

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!