bbtank45

Sep 19, 2019
Hamilton, OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone breaking talon axles? If so....
-What are you replacing them with?
-What tire are you running?

Just curious if these are that much stronger than the competition!

H

HondaTech

I doubt anyone is making full axles since the inner hub has the wheel sensor made on the joint.

RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Had my rig sitting next to my buddy's RZR1000 with Rhino axles and my Talon stock axles were visibly thicker. Haven't measured for exact dimensions. I'm sure Honda took all the axle breakage on other makes into consideration when designing the Talon.
The only case I've seen of someone breaking an axle was some yahoo on YouTube that bent the control arm all up and then tried to keep running it. Of course, there is the other yahoo on YouTube that broke EVERYTHING when he hit a culvert at full speed and landed on the nose which rolled him several times.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had to replace a front inner boot and was impressed by the car-like quality and size. The rollers and cage were huge for a front UTV joint and the housing has probably 50% more slide than what I am used to. Fit and finish is superb. I did not remove the outer boot but that joint looked and felt similar in quality and size also. The entire assembly was stout (without being overly heavy) and it felt like it came out of a car and not a SxS.

The rear joints and axles are even beefier. I have not had one out but they look like they are similar to a Honda FWD car.

Honda built this machine with the intention to add a factory authorized turbo that will be pushing 170 HP and maintain the warranty. I personally believe that they took the entire drivetrain into consideration when they decided to do that and that is why the axles appear to be so stout and maybe why we haven't heard of any breakage (yet).

H

HondaTech

Had my rig sitting next to my buddy's RZR1000 with Rhino axles and my Talon stock axles were visibly thicker. Haven't measured for exact dimensions. I'm sure Honda took all the axle breakage on other makes into consideration when designing the Talon.
The only case I've seen of someone breaking an axle was some yahoo on YouTube that bent the control arm all up and then tried to keep running it. Of course, there is the other yahoo on YouTube that broke EVERYTHING when he hit a culvert at full speed and landed on the nose which rolled him several times.

We were told by the guys who got to see the Talon in Vegas that axle breaking was studied heavily when testing the Talon.

They said the R&D guys could break any competitor axle on cue, time after time.

Speeddriven85

Speeddriven85

Jan 31, 2020
Mount Holly, NC
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I know this is an old post, but came across it. I'm now in the market for bigger tires as my 30's are #1 too small for the X4 in my opinion, and #2 getting worn. My concern was axle breakage as I'm looking to go with a beefy lug tire for a mix of muddy/rocky/trail riding, and looking at the 33" XTR370 from System 3. Any issues? I cant really find any information for axle breakage from normal riding regardless of tires etc. Thanks!

Reactions: Blownzuki
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
RCV makes a complete set of F & R 300m material axle shafts for the Talons if you are worried about breaking the stock shafts. The stock Talon CV's are more than up to the task and are reused with the RCV shafts. As far as I know Rhino is the only company offering complete replacements but they give no specs stating that they are made of any better materials than the OEM shafts and CV's. Honda did good designing those and nobody has come up with anything better yet.

Reactions: Hometeam and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!