Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well as some of you know the Pioneer has been down for over a month and a half and unfortunately it's been a downer, but that's not something I'm wanting to talk about.
Today marks the first day since then that we've been back in a sxs. Some also know what I've been looking into and my future plans for my family. Everything starts with a test drive, or in this case several.
IMG 0823
IMG 0819

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well as some of you know the Pioneer has been down for over a month and a half and unfortunately it's been a downer, but that's not something I'm wanting to talk about.
Today marks the first day since then that we've been back in a sxs. Some also know what I've been looking into and my future plans for my family. Everything starts with a test drive, or in this case several.
View attachment 48909 View attachment 48908
Wolverine? Awsome machine!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yup! I dropped mine off at the dealer a few days ago... after the run around I got from the service department. I'm not impressed! I will NOT be buying an extended warranty.
I opted out! Don't want some wet behind the ears tech learning on my rig! When you do it yourself, you know it's done right!:cool:

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yxz is bad ass if you got lots of open space or dirt roads but anyone that knows me knows I ride hard in tight stuff and the Yxz can't do it. Not that I can't handle it but I'm not gunna ride pos dunes and dirt roads.
Wolverine can. We can ride the s*** out of it where we ride. Not scared of the power in fact I'd like it but wolverine can be 70hp. Huge following so lots of goods.
Now my opinion, incredible ride. The Spec stock is much smoother then Pioneer with good shocks it was a blast. Not as much power but damn smooth. Quit no seat heat and massive braking including good engine breaking. Fun ass rig. For a two seater it's fun.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You bought it, or just test riding?
Soon we'll figure it out. We miss riding so whatever has to be done will be. And yes it'll be a family rig like all others. Can't do an extended rig where we ride so we'll make do and it'll be dependable later down the road and a nice addition to the pioneer if we can swing it

IMG 0824

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

@CumminsPusher what are your plans for the Honda (trade in ?)

As I have mentioned in another post , if I was going to buy any other sxs , it would be a Rspec. Driving it thru the trails is like driving a car down the highway at 60 mph.............the suspension is just amazing!

Good luck with wich ever brand you choose!

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was seriously considering one when I bought my Pioneer, if you remember. They are definitely nice riding. Louder than the Pioneer in a different more annoying way to me (CVT whine right next to my head). But after getting a Pioneer, and my wife using it, now I HAVE to have a tilting bed. ;) Too useful.

If you can stand to wait a couple of months there is a rumor that something big is changing on the 2018 Wolverines. They didn't announce one in June with the other SXS models. That could mean either a much cooler Wolverine that you might want more or even better pricing on the current Wolverines.

If you do wind up getting one, please hang around and post about it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@CumminsPusher what are your plans for the Honda (trade in ?)

As I have mentioned in another post , if I was going to buy any other sxs , it would be a Rspec. Driving it thru the trails is like driving a car down the highway at 60 mph.............the suspension is just amazing!

Good luck with wich ever brand you choose!
Not trading in the Pioneer. Really like it when things are going good, the size and room for a five seater cannot be beat. Just have to get the reliability issue with the clutches figured out so we can enjoy it.
We were planning another sxs down the road and my problems with Honda warrantee has forced us to look at other brands and Yamaha imo is the only other brand I feel will be dependable down the road. We wanted something slightly smaller that will a blast to drive for anyone that comes with us and hold up.
I can not stress enough how much we like the suspension on the R Spec. And those double caliper brakes are great! Powersteeeing was too effertlees low speeds,not quite enough feel and you turned the wheel a little too much imo for what you need but non power steering felt better but not quite enough. I think maybe aftermarket might be better I'll read up on it. Handling is awesome though, no push and very responsive.
Power is plenty if not riding dunes but would be bumped up. Quality is top notch no rattles and great fit finish. Hate handles on outside and the doors feel too short. Lots of storage, wet disk e-brake is awesome and the seats are very cozy especially on the bucket model. Always preferred the shift lever for 4wd over the switch so don't like that but no heat coming from dash or seats was nice. Had a hard time figuring out what to do with our hands with no paddle shifters it did feel a little boring and when you first get in it feels like a golf cart till you hit the gas but all the extra leg room is welcomed, it's damn roomy.
Overall we are very impressed and even the wife that wasn't excited about Yamaha or belts Has warmed up. The belt on these has proved to be great and does feel good with lots of engine brake for a belt. Low range would climb a tree and power was instant. The 700cc Yamaha sounds like a Pioneer 700 but slightly smoother with lots more power. Not a 1000cc so you have to treat it as such but 95% of the time where we ride I feel it's good and won't suffer from the problems of most brands 1000 issues.
That's my review good and bad for what it's worth.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have a few buddies with the wolverines
They love them
If you get one
Check out JBS performance, I had their clutch in my old Viking and it made a world of difference
I was doing my homework a little on that. Seems to be a general consensus lol
Listening to comments and feedback as well as reading all I can. Not interested in making any mistakes right now

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 0940

First look at the family's new ride.
Today after my bike sold got some things taking care of including the start to our future in the sport. Leaving the dirtbike behind and moving into 4 wheels permanently is sad but better for some things.
Feels like I'm trading my ultra dependable and downright fun Honda bike for a Yamaha so this is weird for me but things change and so do I sometimes.
eBay of all places, have I said I liked eBay lol? Things happen quickly with the sheer determination to ride in the woods,we've missed it. Special thanks to @Plumber32 :)
Back at it soon!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!