P500 Battery box screws issue

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
was gonna take my battery cover off yesterday and the screws just spin. Can get a finger behind them and feel them spin. Not even sure how to get a tool on the back since there's hardly no room. Any thoughts or anyone had this issue?

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
was gonna take my battery cover off yesterday and the screws just spin. Can get a finger behind them and feel them spin. Not even sure how to get a tool on the back since there's hardly no room. Any thoughts or anyone had this issue?

Honestly the battery box is a disaster. They need to go back to the drawing board on that thing. Mine also had issues with the nuts... They put hex nuts on them at the factory so they spin when you try to tighten them. I replaced it with a square nut like its supposed to be but the box cover still fits like crap. Its just a bad design overall but double check the nut is not hex... the battery box installer must be a sloppy guy on the line.

S

smifer

Feb 28, 2016
Coldwater, MS
no doubt. im in mississippi and have experienced the same thing. nut just spins around. i had to use my go go gadget hand to get the f+*ker off. after wiring the winch and adding a pigtail for my sparyer I just used two heavy duty zip ties through the existing bolt holes to secure it. no issues so far. good luck.

Reactions: stihlpro
K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
no doubt. im in mississippi and have experienced the same thing. nut just spins around. i had to use my go go gadget hand to get the f+*ker off. after wiring the winch and adding a pigtail for my sparyer I just used two heavy duty zip ties through the existing bolt holes to secure it. no issues so far. good luck.
I like the zip tie idea

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I personally took a small flat piece of metal and wedged it back there against the nut to get it apart (maybe able to use a small screwdriver - don't recall)
I then epoxied the nut on the back of the box with some JB Weld and that seems to be working rather well.
Crappy design!

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Gave up on the factory setup and just keep my battery box cover in place with 2 heavy duty tarp straps. The battery box cover is the worst engineered thing on the 500. Getting to the oil filter is a close second.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The zip tie is the easy ticket.

Reactions: Smitty335
Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA

I'm sure glad to hear that I wasn't the only person around to run into a stupid problem like this! I had the same problem; the keeper on the back side of the screw/bolt is held with some flimsy plastic slot.

I finally did hold the keeper down enough to slide a very small screwdriver jammed in there to hold it long enough to get the top bolt out. My fix was to replace the screw/bolt with a stud. Cranked the stud down good and tight, then put a conventional hex head nut on.

I suppose that I should have went ahead and replace both the top and the bottom screws with studs, but at least the bottom one is easier to get a finger in behind it to hold while loosening the screw.

The last thing that I'd want if I had a dead battery or wanted to give someone a jump, would be to have to make a project out of just getting the battery cover off. For the price of a stud and a nut, problem solved forever.

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Getting my first service done next week so I'm gonna let them take it off and I'm gonna go the zip tie route

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
When I was installing my winch wiring I added a pair of short 10ga leads with a quick connector that just hangs down out of the opening. That allows me easy access with another mating cable for easy jumping or charging.

S

SloRide

Aug 27, 2022
NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I picked up a P500 recently and wanted to add a pigtail for a trickle charger. I will use it less in the winter and want the battery to stay charged. One of the nuts just spins on the battery box. From reading here sounds like its just a nut in a plastic slot and it chews up the slot then spins. What has been found to be the best method to remove?

I'm liking the zip tie replacement.

SloRide

Reactions: Rdrcr and Smitty335
happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
I picked up a P500 recently and wanted to add a pigtail for a trickle charger. I will use it less in the winter and want the battery to stay charged. One of the nuts just spins on the battery box. From reading here sounds like its just a nut in a plastic slot and it chews up the slot then spins. What has been found to be the best method to remove?

I'm liking the zip tie replacement.

SloRide
I managed to wedge a flat head screw driver between the nut a plastic and got it to unscrew.
After removal I epoxied the nut back in place.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I managed to wedge a flat head screw driver between the nut a plastic and got it to unscrew.
After removal I epoxied the nut back in place.
This - just stick a screwdriver in there and wedge it until you get it loose, when you hook it back up do the same thing in reverse. It is not too unusual on the little batteries.

S

SloRide

Aug 27, 2022
NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks guys, the KISS method is usually the best.

Keep meaning to get one of those USB bore scopes for looking into hard to get to places. Would have been perfect to see what is back there.

S

SloRide

Aug 27, 2022
NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I finally got around to that spinning nut on the battery box cover. Nothing worked to keep it from spinning so what I did was drill a small hole thru the cover and the nut and stuck a finish nail thru it. Worked great!
P500fix1
P500fix2

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I sure understand what you went through. That's a stupid arrangement from the factory. The first time I pulled my battery I changed mine out for a stud and nut.
I did the same, about 7 years ago. Put a pigtail on the battery for charging. No problem since.

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
I did the same, about 7 years ago. Put a pigtail on the battery for charging. No problem since.
Ditto! I added a 2-prong trailer plug for easy access for my spray tank motor, battery charger, etc.
Our P500 is primarily used for farm and yard work, although the trailer plug line would be handy for camp lights, or many other uses.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!