P500 Battery discharging

Sprd69

Sprd69

Jul 24, 2021
Texarkana Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a less than a year old 520 that won't crank after sitting 3 or 4 days. It just started doing it a couple of months ago. I thought it was the wetsounds soundbar so I put a keyed in line switch on the positive wire and it's still doing it. I have a kfi winch and two led lights all wired through a key on wire. I unhooked the battery and put my tester on the positive post and touched each negative wire separately. The main ground showed about 0.10 volts. The ground to the soundbar showed about 0.45 volts and winch ground about 0.30 volts. The battery itself is 12.44 so I left it unhooked and will check it tomorrow. Am I doing this right and should I do anything else? Thanks

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would start by prosess of elimination. how I diagnose electrical issues with my job. It does suck but it will help u find it.
that said, even though you have some switches in line to some accessories still dosnt mean u dont have a drawbfrom them. You have one somewhere Tho. So I would disconnect every accesory you have and charge the battery full then let it sit and see if u have lost juice. If you have, then its something in the SXS itself. If it didnt loose charge, Id start by connecting your accessories one by one and let it sit again each time checking it till you find the culprit. Its gonna take some time but you will find it.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Do you have an accessory wire harness and if so are all your accessories wired trough the harness? That was the situation with my P500 and all was good. Then I added a winch and my battery would discharge in about a week. The accessory wire harness is good at isolating devices when the ignition switch is off, and even though the winch relay may be connected to the accessory harness the winch power cable is not, and that was my light draw path. I places a high current on/off switch in line with the winch power cable and now leave it set to off unless I am using the winch and the problems no longer exists. Hope this helps.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wireless winch controller drains mine, i put an isolation switch on my power from the battery to winch.
Do u have a link or pic of that switch? my wireless is for my rear winch and its not currently draining it. But Id like to add that

Sprd69

Sprd69

Jul 24, 2021
Texarkana Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Do you have an accessory wire harness and if so are all your accessories wired trough the harness? That was the situation with my P500 and all was good. Then I added a winch and my battery would discharge in about a week. The accessory wire harness is good at isolating devices when the ignition switch is off, and even though the winch relay may be connected to the accessory harness the winch power cable is not, and that was my light draw path. I places a high current on/off switch in line with the winch power cable and now leave it set to off unless I am using the winch and the problems no longer exists. Hope this helps.
Yes I have a accessory wire harness that everything is ran through. I was wondering about the winch relay. What's weird is it just started doing it a few months ago. Sounds like I have a lot of testing to do. I also thought about a on/off switch on the main power wire.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Do u have a link or pic of that switch? my wireless is for my rear winch and its not currently draining it. But Id like to add that
battery to switch to blue sea bus bar then all accessories, winch, front and rear LED's ran off of the bus bar.

File 17 IMG 8846

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
If a charged battery drains in 3 days, that is 16 Amp hours divided by 72 hours. 16/72 is 0.222 Amps (220 mA … milliamperes). If you could get a clamp on current meter, you are looking for a draw of maybe 100 mA to 200 mA. That seems like a low current draw, but it takes a toll on a small battery over a period of days. This is why a wireless winch remote can gradually drain a battery if wired to the winch main terminals. This sounds crazy, but a pinched wire or zip-tied wire to a metal frame can drain a battery slowly, not necessarily a fast acting short circuit. The only sure troubleshooting is “lifting” wires one at a time to isolate by finding what circuits are NOT causing the problem. Most circuits are good, but there is one “stinker“ in there causing the drain on the battery. Why I use a battery tender to make sure your ride is always ready to go!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
This is also a good way to isolate a circuit, small size switched plus it provides protection against shorts.
BC67AE46 5D25 44DA A5E3 B4F48CEA267D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!