Battery issues P500

L

Loe

Mar 17, 2018
mn
Ownership

1. 500
Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2017 P-500 and have had the worst luck with batteries. This winter I thought I would be smart and put it on a battery Charger / tender once it was charged. We live in Minnesota so I want to be ready when I needed to plow. When I went to start it up it would not turn over. I put it on a charger and waited a couple days un till it was charged. I tried it again and it would not turn over. So I used an extra lawn mower battery to jump start it. I ran it for 45 min so it would charge. Then I put it on a battery tender. Well this am, I went to use it and it wouldn't turn over. I have looked at all the fuses as well. I once again jump it with the lawn mower battery. It started. I used it to clear a few paths but after using the winch 4xs it just quit. It seems like its not charging the battery??

Just a note that the battery was not the original so I was surprised that it would not start up. I put in a Yuasa battery last year.

H

HondaTech

Sounds like a shot battery to me.

You might also have a parasitic draw on the battery as well.

Start by fully charging the battery, (if possible) then check the amp draw. If that's in spec then check the voltage with the headlights on @ 5,000 rpm. If its below sitting battery voltage you have a charging system issue. But this all implies the battery is good to begin with.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I tend to agree, you may have a bad battery and/ or something draining it. In addition to fuses, I would check all wires, because you may have a loose wire somewhere and make sure all good, especially those from a winch to battery, etc. Are you running other electronics as well while plowing? Are you confident the battery tender/charger is actually working? Reason for asking, I just had to toss one last week.....

Reactions: Mudder
L

Loe

Mar 17, 2018
mn
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks alloutdoors! I did get a new battery last night and I went to start it up the same thing happened. So I removed the cables for the winch and then tried it. It started right up. Now I need to figure out why.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Thanks alloutdoors! I did get a new battery last night and I went to start it up the same thing happened. So I removed the cables for the winch and then tried it. It started right up. Now I need to figure out why.

Chances are you have a bad connection, because a bad connection alone would not cause the battery to go down, but rather you are likely experiencing what was indicate before parastic loss.

Glad you found the source and may be the other battery is okay as well....

Reactions: Mudder
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
if the winch has a wireless controller it is always on and will drain the battery. I put a dash mounted cut off switch on my wire to the winch to isolate it.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
if the winch has a wireless controller it is always on and will drain the battery. I put a dash mounted cut off switch on my wire to the winch to isolate it.
I find the radio memory can also kill the battery in a few weeks. I added a switch to the wire for my memory wire on my radio so when the machine is parked for extended period I can switch it off and preserve the battery. I don’t understand why my car battery can run the radio memory but my sxs can not but this is the case on my machine with two different radios over its life and also the same with one of my friends Polaris sxs. It may be the cheap $19.99 eBay radios I use.

L

Loe

Mar 17, 2018
mn
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the good information. You guys rock! I am going to put a separate battery to the winch with a kill switch so that it won't drain the battery.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks for all the good information. You guys rock! I am going to put a separate battery to the winch with a kill switch so that it won't drain the battery.
You can use something like this circuit breaker as a kill switch if you can find an accessible location not far from the battery.

F61D227E A18E 4A74 B7C4 1D8AF6942884

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
The Honda OEM battery is a VERY good battery, it's an AGM battery. Always replace your battery with an AGM battery, a bit more expensive but will last a LOT longer than a regular SLA or 'Standard Lead Acid' battery. Paying a bit more $ for an AGM over a standard battery, you'll be money ahead in a just a few years because AGM's last so much longer especially well taken care of ones = buying less batteries over the years. When considering a new battery, pay attention to the battery specs of it's weight, the more it weighs, the better, stronger, and more long lasting the battery will be. AGM batteries always weight more that SLA or 'regular' batteries. AGM stands for Absorbed Glass Mat' and also have thicker lead plates in them. I've gotten 5 to 8 years out of AGM batteries but I take very good care of them, always keep them topped off, near, or fully charged. And heat, especially high heat will self drain a battery MUCH quicker than mildly warm or cooler temps. In cooler temps, an unused battery will hold near full charge for 2 or 3 months. In high heat unused, need to top them off every 1 to 2 weeks, but no longer than that. Here in the non riding high heat summers of the Arizona low desert where I live, I pull all my batteries and store them in my A/C house, only need to top them off every 2 months and they top off quickly. If you must store them outside in the extreme heat, best to keep a low amp charger constantly connected because the high heat drains them VERY quickly. Here is my favorite battery charger & maintainer that also has an 'AGM' charge setting option, I have 4 of them; NOCO Genius 1 amp (They also have a 2 amp & 5 amp, but 1 amp is best for our smaller ATV or Side by Side batteries... https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1...re-Compensation/dp/B07W46BX31?tag=sxsweb24-20

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigtee

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!