Battery Maintainer / Trickle Charger?

C

cnaught

Sep 29, 2021
Broward County, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent battery maintainer / trickle charger to keep the battery hooked up to? I just bought a Pioneer 1000-5 used took it to the shop which told me that there may be some draw on the batteries from some after market accessories that may kill the battery when it sits, and that I should consider keeping it hooked up to a battery maintainer to prevent the battery from discharging while not in use.

Reactions: TxDoc
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Battery Tender" is good, as is the previously mentioned NOCO (I have the larger version for my RV).

If you have a digital volt-ohm meter, with amps function, it's easy to see what and how much "phantom" load is on the system. A few milliamps is no big deal and you can go weeks without having the battery get too low (that's weeks, not months!). Still, plugging in a trickle charger is good.

If you have more than a few milliamps, and or just want to know what's causing a battery drain, can pull one fuse at a time and put your VOM leads across the fuse contacts to determine what is causing the current drain.

I installed a Powerlet socket on the front of my machine, so don't need to open the hood to plug it in. Did the same on my FJ Cruiser:

20210920 150812

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The Noco has been great for me.
im sure a battery tender will work fine as well. I would suggest you to look into a second battery for just your accessories. Much easier on your system.
594D4B4F 44DB 4C1C B0C2 50A0F1ACFEEA
F5CE5121 DFA7 4A1D 9356 B3CF7182D2A8

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've been wanting to try bigger tires, 33 inches, but didn't want to buy new tires, so I aired mine up to 65 PSI until I got the 33 inch tire, seems to ride a little rough. Any suggestions, shocks or a arms?

C

cnaught

Sep 29, 2021
Broward County, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Noco has been great for me.
im sure a battery tender will work fine as well. I would suggest you to look into a second battery for just your accessories. Much easier on your system.

That's a great setup! Thanks! Can I hook the NOCO 2Amp (or Battery Tender) right up to the terminals while all of the accessories and wires are still connected, or do I risk frying them when it initiates the charge cycle? I know at bare minimum there are accessory switches connected to the battery. It also looks like there is a dual battery setup and from what I can tell, the second battery is hooked directly to the first battery, and the second battery is an AGM.

Reactions: Remington
Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
I use the Battery Tender trickle charger/maintainer on anything that sits for a period of time (I have something like 10 of them) and they have worked great for me....
Mine are hooked directly to the battery and everything is left hooked up all the time.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That's a great setup! Thanks! Can I hook the NOCO 2Amp (or Battery Tender) right up to the terminals while all of the accessories and wires are still connected, or do I risk frying them when it initiates the charge cycle? I know at bare minimum there are accessory switches connected to the battery. It also looks like there is a dual battery setup and from what I can tell, the second battery is hooked directly to the first battery, and the second battery is an AGM.

View attachment 301888
Nope! Thats how mine is

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been wanting to try bigger tires, 33 inches, but didn't want to buy new tires, so I aired mine up to 65 PSI until I got the 33 inch tire, seems to ride a little rough. Any suggestions, shocks or a arms?
Airing down is way overrated. Adding more air is adding more performance, add enough and performance goes right through the roof, so to speak. I'd take 'em up to least 120 psi or until they get to about 40 inches and they should smooth right out. Suggestions, always wear ear plugs while airing up your tires. It's best to do this before a long weekend so you have plenty of time take a breather and get fully rested before getting back up'n at'em to play.

Hospital bed

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Airing down is way overrated. Adding more air is adding more performance, add enough and performance goes right through the roof, so to speak. I'd take 'em up to least 120 psi or until they get to about 40 inches and they should smooth right out. Suggestions, always wear ear plugs while airing up your tires. It's best to do this before a long weekend so you have plenty of time take a breather and get fully rested before getting back up'n at'em to play.

View attachment 302340
AW, another smart Azz that I can relate to! HA!

Reactions: bumperm

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!