Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone ever installed their second battery under the driver's seat on a 500? Can't believe I would be the first to want to do this!
I've searched the old threads and the web and can't find where anyone has done it, it's always placed up front under the hood.
Just makes sense for me, shorter wire runs, low COG and dead space anyway. Any thoughts on it either way?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Took a Group 24 battery box and did some dry fitting under there, could be done but realistically too big.
After a bunch of reading, going with a U1 size. That's the typical size for a lawn and garden battery. Bigger than the stock one, better specs and half the price. The only concerns I've read about, is if they would handle the bounce and vibration.
Die Hard Deka The better ones will.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Ordered one of these up in case I wanted to install other accessories down the road. Being able to kill the accessory circuit is the only isolation I want.
Circuit breaker
Been searching for a bracket or tray to mount the second battery in a box in. Looks like they have them for the battery but not for one in a box. Might have to make one, kind of want a custom fit anyway. I'm looking at that cheap HF welder now. Have passed on doing a couple of mods in the past due to not having one.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Consider an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) type battery for vibration issues. Got one for motorcycle. Will a plastic ammo box work? Also put the circuit breaker like that on P500 for 6 ga. Wire to hood area, , mounted by battery box.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Consider an Absorbed Gel Mat (AGM) type battery for vibration issues. Got one for motorcycle. Will a plastic ammo box work? Also put the circuit breaker like that on P500 for 6 ga. Wire to hood area, , mounted by battery box.

Found the battery box no problem, it's a tray to mount it in that I'm having trouble finding.
I thought AGM was glass mat? Either way, not supposed to mix batteries, going with SLA.
I plan to use 4 ga. welding wire, super flexible stuff.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Oops, Glass not gel. learned something about not mixing AGM and flooded cell batteries on same charging circuit. Thanks to you and google!

Last edited:
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Oops, Glass not gel. learned something about not mixing AGM and flooded cell batteries on same charging circuit. Thanks to you and google!
Please share when you get a moment as I found differing views.

Trigger check out Sears Diehard Platinum batteries as I think they are a rebranded Oddysee (sp?) and have a wicked warrenty and great value for what it is. Can't get them in Western Canada, so I've gone with Optima yellow and blue tops and they've served me well. I had considered under seat location for battery but was saving it for a slide out drawer, you should do both : ) I opted for underhood in a metal surplus ammo box, it works but I must rework and use larger capacity for snow ploughing at night. Where'd you source the breaker I like that?

j

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
PS. Got a switchable waterproof Bussman fuse from Autozone. On not mixing AGM and flooded cells on paralell circuit, found this this link to Optima batteries: Can I Connect Dissimilar Batteries in Parallel? Seems like it is OK if isolated for charging on batt 1 or 2 switch separately, but not both at same time. Not a battery expert myself. Good topic.

IMG 3819

Last edited:
USMCsilver

USMCsilver

Mar 15, 2017
US
Ownership

1. 700-4
Best small battery I've had to date has been a Duracell branded unit from BatteriesPlus.com.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Please share when you get a moment as I found differing views.

Trigger check out Sears Diehard Platinum batteries as I think they are a rebranded Oddysee (sp?) and have a wicked warrenty and great value for what it is. Can't get them in Western Canada, so I've gone with Optima yellow and blue tops and they've served me well. I had considered under seat location for battery but was saving it for a slide out drawer, you should do both : ) I opted for underhood in a metal surplus ammo box, it works but I must rework and use larger capacity for snow ploughing at night. Where'd you source the breaker I like that?

j

Platinum huh? I saw the gold and thought that was their best. Like Die Hard's, been running them for years. Yeah, I read you're not suppose to mix battery types, in parallel anyway. Don't know why, seems like if one was full it would just charge the other. I'm not going with an isolator switch. Plan to wire the two batteries together, then come off of the second to the circuit breaker and then bus bar that feeds all the accessories. Picked up that breaker on ebay for $19. @ohanacreek posted that a while ago.
No slide out drawer happening here, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to fix a tray in there, so I can just put in the box and strap it in. There is a lot of room under there though. I'm also putting a piece of aluminum in well to block the mud. Passenger side has plastic to shut it off and drivers side is wide open. Still waiting on parts to start putting it together.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I've partially closed mine off by putting mud flaps infront of the fenders on the rear. You could bolt a larger plate (or weld) tabs to the cross bar support and bolt a sealed box to that with battery inside. Accessing lid from under the seat. I was thinking of drawer sliders that would hold the box and would slide out from under the seat to the side. Read get out close stock door, open slide door cover under the seat and the drawer slides out to the side of machine, pop the lid open and bam, battery, and other storage. I just can't picture a side door drawer cover that wouldn't make it look like a hack job.... still chewing on the design.

j

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I remember seeing that thread, it would be involved but could be done. There is definitely enough room under there for your concept but I wouldn't want to take on the task of cutting a door into that panel, I'd butcher it.
I made a cover yesterday that extends down to the ROPS crossbar that's in front of the rear tire. Could've made it out of just about anything but had aluminum diamond plate on hand.
Still debating on exact location, considering access through the hole, could mount it away from hole and still put a tub or something in there.
It's going to happen regardless now, ordered most of the crap already. Just waiting on the box so I can find or fab a tray that fits it correctly.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Following this thread. Was looking at the existing holes in the vertical frame in front of the rear wheel as a possible mount for a enclosed box. One hole is already threaded. Yes, coming up with a decent side door look is a puzzle. What a wasted space from Honda! Could have been a dual gas tank and spare battery option to help with a better lower center of gravity.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Following this thread. Was looking at the existing holes in the vertical frame in front of the rear wheel as a possible mount for a enclosed box. One hole is already threaded. Yes, coming up with a decent side door look is a puzzle. What a wasted space from Honda! Could have been a dual gas tank and spare battery option to help with a better lower center of gravity.

I know right? That's why I can't believe no one had done this yet.
Been eyeing that framing member with the holes, there are also two horizontal pieces that run front to back on either side of seat area, kinda tucked up in there. Could use those to hang a tray from, access the box through the hole.
Here's the cover that I made so it's not getting all that mud from the wheel well. Has a hole drilled in it at the top to accept the seat belt bolt too, it's solid.
Cover from Distance Cover up Close Rolled it under the bar just a little bit at the bottom.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Looks like the side cover cost may be worth it to experiment with the OEM side cover for drawer front, if it turns out bad and need to replace it back to original. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Caper
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
What a wasted space from Honda! Could have been a dual gas tank and spare battery option to help with a better lower center of gravity.
Actually Honda sells an underseat storage compartment for that space.

Reactions: Caper

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!